Cruise Critic Community
ontheweb

AstraZeneca to distribute Covid 19 vaccine in Europe by the end of the year

I read so many stories of vaccines it makes be dizzy. It gives me hope and I really pray that one of them works. For many reasons we need one to work.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

We are also looking at China,” he said, “China, as you know, are developing their own vaccines. … It’s important to make several bets on different vaccines in every country.”  interesting .  So maybe if successful European ports will open in the summer  ?

Edited by c-boy

13 minutes ago, c-boy said:

We are also looking at China,” he said, “China, as you know, are developing their own vaccines. … It’s important to make several bets on different vaccines in every country.”  interesting .  So maybe if successful European ports will open in the summer  ?

A vaccine that might be ready by the end of the year at the earliest can't help in the opening of European ports this summer. Next summer...maybe.

52 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/astrazeneca-agrees-to-make-experimental-covid-19-vaccine-for-europe/

I know we do not know yet how well it will work. But this is a step forward from there won't be a vaccine for years.

The only thing new in this article is that some EU countries have now committed money to secure doses of the vaccine. Trials are already in process in the UK and the USA previously kicked in over $1 billion to support this vaccine's development and secure the product for US residents should the vaccine prove to be safe and effective.

On 6/14/2020 at 11:45 AM, ontheweb said:

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/astrazeneca-agrees-to-make-experimental-covid-19-vaccine-for-europe/

I know we do not know yet how well it will work. But this is a step forward from there won't be a vaccine for years.

Rushing an "experimental" vaccine into Phase 3 Trials is one thing, but having that vaccine successfully clear that trial and prove to be safe and effective is another thing.  Testing takes time, and given the potential huge market for any COVID-19 vaccine the testing must be very thorough.  The normal time period to get a vaccine through Phase 3 and to market is at least 3 years!   Trust me that if a drug company tries to short change the tried and true testing process you will start to hear from others about the risk of such a product.  The one thing that might be worse then a Pandemic is a vaccine that later proves to have some serious side-effects.  Once you pump that product into hundreds of millions or billions of souls it is too late to take it back if rushed testing failed to uncover some major problems.

Hank

Rushing an "experimental" vaccine into Phase 3 Trials is one thing, but having that vaccine successfully clear that trial and prove to be safe and effective is another thing.  Testing takes time, and given the potential huge market for any COVID-19 vaccine the testing must be very thorough.  The normal time period to get a vaccine through Phase 3 and to market is at least 3 years!   Trust me that if a drug company tries to short change the tried and true testing process you will start to hear from others about the risk of such a product.  The one thing that might be worse then a Pandemic is a vaccine that later proves to have some serious side-effects.  Once you pump that product into hundreds of millions or billions of souls it is too late to take it back if rushed testing failed to uncover some major problems.

Hank
Well how long or years was the regular flu vaccine tested? That seems pretty harmless. I'm not saying that to be a smart ass, I really don't know how long it was tested for before it was released? I know years a bit different because it's not 100% and there are different strains of the flu.

On 6/14/2020 at 8:48 AM, ontheweb said:

And one of the problems they have in developing a vaccine is that there are not enough new cases.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/coronavirus-vaccine-trials-astrazeneca-moderna/2020/06/09/48f28fea-a414-11ea-898e-b21b9a83f792_story.html

Seems like we in CA are helping out on that front in terms of spinning up new cases!

Seems like we in CA are helping out on that front in terms of spinning up new cases!
I don't know what they were talking about not enough cases, we in the US is hitting new records daily now. Plenty now to test this vaccine out on.

4 hours ago, SelectSys said:

As are Florida, Texas, and several other states. Note the article I quoted in the original post is now almost 3 weeks old. Things sure do change quickly!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Well how long or years was the regular flu vaccine tested? That seems pretty harmless. I'm not saying that to be a smart ass, I really don't know how long it was tested for before it was released? I know years a bit different because it's not 100% and there are different strains of the flu.

There not a simple answer to the timeline for development of flu vaccines. If you are inclined to learn the history of flu vaccines you can read this article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5139605/

A simplified version would be that flu virus was first isolated from patients in the early 1930s and in the US the first vaccine was approved for release to the public in 1946.

Edited by njhorseman