Cuizer2

Boxing ring on the Freedom

From reading the discription in the news section, it is just another form of cardio workout. It would be interesting if they did have some scrimmage matches with passengers. Only if they signed up for the package for the week. I think I would do that.

They could have a passenger against staff competition. Let the staff get some revenge on the overly demanding, won't pick up their own mess, stuck up passengers.

This is one add-on I really like. It sounds like it's mostly sparring, but the possibility that you could actually go three rounds is verrry interesting. I could see all kinds of combinations, but I wouldn't be interested in fighting anyone but another passenger.

I can think of a few pair-ups of CruiseCritic members that would be QUITE entertaining to watch! ;)

There has always been boxing rings on all RCCL ships. It's also call pool side when someone moves a pair of shoes and book from a deck chair. :D

Hi:

My husband is way excited. We were already booked on the Freedom, but he doesn't get excited about cruising as much as I do. I book all the cruises and he just goes along and enjoys.....but he doesn't love them as I do. Until now.....he's a former Golden Gloves champ and a Navy base champ, and later he was a referee at a lot of boxing matches. When I told him about the boxing ring, he really got excited about our Freedom cruise. It will certainly be interesting. It makes me wonder what they will think of next?

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10

This seems like such a weird amenity. I don't think their lawyers will allow any sort of actual boxing match between passengers, staff or anyone else, mainly because there are ways around just about any liability waiver you could have someone sign. Having training equipment and/or coaching wouldn't be so strange - for instance kickboxing is a popular cardio class at many gyms. Why waste the space on a full sized ring when they won't really be able to use it?

Never ceases to amaze me how much space cruise lines are wasting lately on their new ships.

This is another example of wasting a large amount of space on an amenity that for all intents and purposes noone will use (amybe 5% of pax at most)....

seems like RCCL at least is more interested in saying hey "we have the first _______ at sea" but doesn't really make practical decisions.

RCI you can have the first plastic surgery center, airplane landing strip or hellium baloon rides at sea....

BUT THAT DOESNT MAKE MUCH SENSE EITHER, does it?! :-(

Never ceases to amaze me how much space cruise lines are wasting lately on their new ships.

This is another example of wasting a large amount of space on an amenity that for all intents and purposes noone will use (maybe 5% of pax at most)....

seems like RCCL at least is more interested in saying hey "we have the first _______ at sea" but doesn't really make practical decisions.

RCI you can have the first plastic surgery center or hellium baloon rides at sea....

RCI you can have the first plastic surgery center, airplane landing strip or hellium baloon rides at sea....

I don't know, having an airplane strip might not be such a bad idea. It would make it easier to get to and from the ship.

This is another example of wasting a large amount of space on an amenity that for all intents and purposes noone will use (amybe 5% of pax at most)....

Did you read the news that NCL is planning on a bowling alley at sea. That should be interesting. I bet not many would take part in that as well. The boxing ring will probably draw the same percentage as the golf simulators. It is something new and different. I golf but haven't used the simulators yet. The boxing sounds interesting and I would probably try it.

LOL a place for arguing couples to resolve their differences...

Please do not throw your spouse overboard. Take them to the new boxing ring.

I want skeet shooting on my next cruise. Any chance at that happening?

No mention of how many lanes NCL will have. It is for fun so my guess will be between 4 and 6 lanes.

No mention of how many lanes NCL will have. It is for fun so my guess will be between 4 and 6 lanes.

I would love skeet shooting but with all the complaints about drunks and kids and drunk kids, I don't think it will ever happen.

I don't like the idea of a bowling alley. It takes up way to much space for only a few passengers.

Yes and no about the bowling alley taking up way too much space. Just think about the clubs and theater during the day. They aren't used much and take up lots of space. If the bowling alley were actually available all day and into the night, it could be worth adding to other ships.

Did all the lines do away with skeet shooting? I know I did it off the back of the ship in 1993 on the Carnival Holiday. :) It was a blast!!

Tracy

Four lanes ...

MIAMI – February 7, 2006 - NCL’s next ship, Norwegian Pearl, will bowl over the cruise competition with a “striking” innovation – a full size, four lane, ten-pin bowling alley. The bowling alley is part of an all-new, all-day entertainment, sports bar and nightclub complex called Bliss. During the day, Bliss is a sports bar with a four lane bowling alley, multiple flat screen televisions to show sports events, and air hockey, foosball and other arcade games.

A boxing ring may go down as the worst idea ever for a cruise ship.

Nope. I think the bowling alley has that title already.:D :rolleyes:

I would love skeet shooting but with all the complaints about drunks and kids and drunk kids, I don't think it will ever happen.

I don't like the idea of a bowling alley. It takes up way to much space for only a few passengers.

Actually, back in the 80's when I cruised on the Rotterdam, they did have skeet shooting. It was off the back of the ship, and my sister participated in it, since she's a marksman.(woman?):)

It is something new and different. I golf but haven't used the simulators yet. The boxing sounds interesting and I would probably try it.

just make sure to take extra money (PAX Card) im sure they will add this to their list of new wonderful things you can do...for the right fee of course. :-)

no doubt. I am still wondering if the wave ride on freedom is gonna be a fee. Rock climbing is free so there is a possibility that the wave will be free as well.

no doubt. I am still wondering if the wave ride on freedom is gonna be a fee. Rock climbing is free so there is a possibility that the wave will be free as well.

It depends on whether they use bottled water or tap water. :)

RCI has already said it will be free. How long that will last I don't know but the plan is that it will be free.

I hope they go the same route as their pools. A salt water endless wave would make it more real like you were in Hawaii.

You mean a boxing ring makes less sense than a rock climbing wall? I don't think so. But I'm sure there are enough people who utilize the climbing wall even though it makes no sense, aesthetic or otherwise. Now how qbout a mini-television recording studio where a live show can be broadcast with passengers taking weekly parts in some continuing soap opera?

You mean a boxing ring makes less sense than a rock climbing wall? I don't think so. But I'm sure there are enough people who utilize the climbing wall even though it makes no sense, aesthetic or otherwise. Now how qbout a mini-television recording studio where a live show can be broadcast with passengers taking weekly parts in some continuing soap opera?

I like the idea of a mini recording studio. One advantage a rock climbing wall has over lots of other stuff is its takes up very little deck space. it is vertical.

I like the boxing idea I tried it ***** the Summit years ago with over sized gloves was fun to punch ex cruisemates out then