Wondering what other cruisers think

Denmal

We have a 14 day circle the Caribbean scheduled for February 21st, 2021.   I am wondering what everyone's opinion is on whether this cruise will actually happen or will be cancelled ? 

I know some of the islands are opening BUT with major restrictions.  For example, Aruba is opening but with the following restrictions below

I am wondering with these types of restrictions, HOW the heck the cruise ships are going to handle them if they continue through next year.

Opinions .. GO..

========================

Requirements for entry in Aruba
– Mandatory ED card* to be filled in – this will be available online as of June 25th at www.edcardaruba.aw
– Self health declaration form to be submitted 72 hours prior to travel
– Visitors are encouraged to take a COVID-19 test (PCR) before traveling (in the US CVS and Rite-Aid do offer these tests) and to upload the test results to a new digital platform that the Aruba authorities are setting up or to bring their test proof with them. Alternatively visitors will need to pre-pay for a mandatory test upon arrival in Aruba (price initially indicated at US$75)
– Must have COVID-19 medical insurance coverage. (Aruba has arranged for insurance to be provided by insurance companies based in Aruba). An indication of the insurance cost was given by the Minister of Tourism and this was US$15 per insured person per day. It is also possible for a visitor to take out their own specific COVID-19 insurance coverage.
– Must consent to cooperate with all Aruba’s COVID-19 procedures and instructions including testing (if applicable), quarantine etc.
– Must wear a mask on the flight to Aruba (not required while vacationing on the island but recommended nonetheless where social distancing is more of a challenge).

The Aruba requirements don't seem too onerous but... I don't know how others feel but if I have to wear a mask everywhere I go I'd just as soon not go at all. I've gotten to really hate the damn masks. I realize the Aruba notice said it wasn't mandatory to wear a mask in the country but it was "advised" anyway. At least in my own home I don't have to wear the thing. (Went to Costco this morning to pick up my glasses and masks are mandatory there.) I also wonder about the required COVID-19 test. How recent would the test have to be? A test done a month before traveling might not be good enough.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 6

Denmal we are also on this same cruise. We really really want to cruise again. If for some reason we can't get off the ship in Aruba, we'll be ok with staying onboard. We'll do our best to follow all protocols & hope for the best.  We are still 8 months out. Perhaps port restrictions will be less strident by Feb. 21. 

• Like 1

Aruba doesn't really excite me much. When we're there we walk through town and keep going until we come to a beach. My wife fiddles around in the water and we have a couple of beers at the bar. Tiny little 8oz beers for $4.50 each. It's relaxing but not an essential port for us. Of course you can always buy tee shirts for folks but they will shrink up to tiny things when you wash them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Thrak said:

The Aruba requirements don't seem too onerous but...

Having that test and posting results might be difficult. It does not specify how close to arrival the test mught have been taken.

Or get (and pay for) a test upon arrival.

I do not think these rules were written for cruise ships. Are they allowed yet?

• Like 1

We have a cruise on Jan. 17,2021.  I doubt we will be on it. if you listen carefully to some of the experts there "may" be a vaccine by January but the are talking about using it on an "exception" basis, if needed.

You're talking more than 8 months away. 

8 months ago, could you have predicted you'd be in the situation you're in? Or asking the question you're asking? Absolutely not. No one did. It's unprecedented. 

There's absolutely no way to predict what things may or may not be like 8 full months from now. Or even one month from now.

The Aruba (and other island) guidelines are for their phased opening - not set in stone for all time. And every island nation that's opening currently has different protocols.  And none have released protocols dealing with cruising as none of us are open to cruise ships yet.  It's a very fluid situation and protocols, etc are changing on an almost daily basis it seems..

All you can really do is monitor the situation. Princess won't sail to islands aren't that aren't open, or to those where  the protocols are impossible to meet with a large ship.  They'll either rearrange your itinerary to islands that are open for business, or cancel. 

You can only just keep an eye on things, pay attention to what the various islands are doing, and monitor the Princess site. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Denmal said:

We have a 14 day circle the Caribbean scheduled for February 21st, 2021.   I am wondering what everyone's opinion is on whether this cruise will actually happen or will be cancelled ? 

I know some of the islands are opening BUT with major restrictions.  For example, Aruba is opening but with the following restrictions below

I am wondering with these types of restrictions, HOW the heck the cruise ships are going to handle them if they continue through next year.

Opinions .. GO..

========================

Requirements for entry in Aruba
– Mandatory ED card* to be filled in – this will be available online as of June 25th at www.edcardaruba.aw
– Self health declaration form to be submitted 72 hours prior to travel
– Visitors are encouraged to take a COVID-19 test (PCR) before traveling (in the US CVS and Rite-Aid do offer these tests) and to upload the test results to a new digital platform that the Aruba authorities are setting up or to bring their test proof with them. Alternatively visitors will need to pre-pay for a mandatory test upon arrival in Aruba (price initially indicated at US$75)
– Must have COVID-19 medical insurance coverage. (Aruba has arranged for insurance to be provided by insurance companies based in Aruba). An indication of the insurance cost was given by the Minister of Tourism and this was US$15 per insured person per day. It is also possible for a visitor to take out their own specific COVID-19 insurance coverage.
– Must consent to cooperate with all Aruba’s COVID-19 procedures and instructions including testing (if applicable), quarantine etc.
– Must wear a mask on the flight to Aruba (not required while vacationing on the island but recommended nonetheless where social distancing is more of a challenge).

Thanks for posting this.

1. Cant locate a copy of the ED (embarkation / disembarkation) card. As always the devil is in the details.

2. Gotta see a copy of this form b4 commenting.

3. Not doing that at all b/c it looks more and more like a way to artificially create a market for a product (test , mask) for drug stores) to sell aka a pretext, ruse.

4. Always travel especially internationally with medical insurance. Also looks like an artificial way to sell specific "COVID-19" insurance. Color me skeptical. 

5. Need to see details of "procedures and instructions. For now, nope.

6. Nope. Why dont they just make people wear a hazmat suit?

• Like 1

Airlines: if not already in big, bold print in the carriage contract disclose the following in big, bold letters : travel is at your own risk.

Cruiselines: Same thing. Tell passengers to carry medical insurance (dont they recommend this today?) because Princess or the taxpayers of a foreign country wont pay for your medical care if you get sick. If you are too scared of others b/c you think everyone around you are carriers of the bubonic plague, stay home. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 1:08 PM, Denmal said:

Opinions .. GO..

I would guess 50/50.  The US completely failed and gave up on lock down.  When the second wave (or really in many places wave 1.5) starts ramping up, things are going to get ugly.  Not much support right now for lockdown #2, but that may change as deaths start really ramping up.

I think the more realistic thing than Americans practicing basic courtesy and wearing masks and being cognizant of their neighbors, is that the government will basically just blast through phase 3 testing on the moderna and astrazeneca vaccine when it gets closer and closer to election day, and release millions of doses of half-tested vaccines and let everything sort itself out in Phase 4.  I give probably better than 50/50 chance for one of these 2 vaccines to work.  A lot of the data coming back on COVID is promising in terms of vaccination.  A lot of the early fears appear to not be an issue compared to SARS.  If plans go right then the US should have several hundred million doses by 2021 and there's a chance by Feb things will be back open.

edit: as a side note, I am especially hoping the moderna vaccine works and shows low complications in phase 4.  And in any event hoping either astrazeneca or moderna vaccine work in general.  Those methods are super novel, and if they work, it'll be a great leap in the arsenal for future pandemics.

Edited by UnorigionalName

That is so a long ways away, who can predict what the world will be like!

Think about it in January would we have thought we'd be coming out of 3 months of lock down, world in recession, all international flights shut down, air travel 5-10% domestic volume!    All cruise locked down since March and now extended thru August!  The stock market totally irrational in response and recovery, LOL.

And you ask should I sail in the new year, now if I could tell you, I'd be a billionaire!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2020 at 2:59 PM, Thrak said:

Aruba doesn't really excite me much. When we're there we walk through town and keep going until we come to a beach. My wife fiddles around in the water and we have a couple of beers at the bar. Tiny little 8oz beers for $4.50 each. It's relaxing but not an essential port for us. Of course you can always buy tee shirts for folks but they will shrink up to tiny things when you wash them.

Aruba has a very nice little hop on/off trolley that goes all around the downtown area.  Very wood and polished brass looking old-timey trolley.  Picks up at the tracks next to the souvenir kiosks at the dock.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 4:26 PM, Thrak said:

The Aruba requirements don't seem too onerous but... I don't know how others feel but if I have to wear a mask everywhere I go I'd just as soon not go at all. I've gotten to really hate the damn masks.

What strategy will you be using in a cruiseship elevator?

4 hours ago, pcur said:

Aruba has a very nice little hop on/off trolley that goes all around the downtown area.  Very wood and polished brass looking old-timey trolley.  Picks up at the tracks next to the souvenir kiosks at the dock.

Thanks for the info. If our cruise does set sail & we get to go ashore in Aruba, a trolley ride around the town sounds very pleasant. ♡

• Like 1

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

stairs

As one who usually uses Stairs anyway, this causes me some concern.  Most cruisers will not even use steps to go down one deck and many cruisers cannot possibly use steps to go up a few decks (it would kill those folks to get some exercise).  But if many do start using the steps a majority will be breathing very hard (especially when going up a dozen decks) and heavy breathing is likely a good way to spread COVID-19.  Is this an unintended consequence to a good idea?  In the past when I have used the steps on a large Princess vessel, I am usually the only person (except for an occasional crew member) on the stairs.

I will also tell you that on a Royal Class ship, climbing from Deck 5 (International cafe and atrium) to deck 16 is not for the faint of heart.  It is tough...even for those in pretty good shape.

Hank

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

But if many do start using the steps a majority will be breathing very hard (especially when going up a dozen decks) and heavy breathing is likely a good way to spread COVID-19.

These days it's the knees that protest.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

As one who usually uses Stairs anyway, this causes me some concern.  Most cruisers will not even use steps to go down one deck and many cruisers cannot possibly use steps to go up a few decks (it would kill those folks to get some exercise).

Hank

Oh, PUH-LEEEESE, Mr. Hank!  Some people can't use stairs because their knees or hips are arthritic.  Some people get in quite a bit of walking on flat surfaces, but can't do inclines or stairs.  Some people have heart conditions. 

Very judgmental of you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pcur said:

Oh, PUH-LEEEESE, Mr. Hank!  Some people can't use stairs because their knees or hips are arthritic.  Some people get in quite a bit of walking on flat surfaces, but can't do inclines or stairs.  Some people have heart conditions. 

Very judgmental of you.

You are being defensive.  I specifically said that "many cruisers cannot possibly use steps."   But if more folks use the steps it will leave the elevators less crowded for those that must use elevators.  Do I prefer elevators?  Absolutely.  Do I want to voluntarily cram myself into a small chamber?  Nope.

The elevator issue is big for those that live in high rises (we have many New York friends in high rises).  Many of those buildings have now imposed some basic policies to deal with the elevator problem (i.e. no sharing of elevators except for families) which are trading off inconvenience and long waits to achieve a higher level of health/safety.  We will soon be going to a beach resort where we stay on a high floor in a condo building.  We actually got an e-mail from the facility about elevator use (i.e. do not share elevators) which apparently is based on advice from their health authorities.  They are careful not to tell folks to use the stairs (we would not want to be lectured by those who cannot possibly use the stairs) but also make it clear that a no-sharing policy can mean much longer waits for an elevator.  

Cruise ships are going to need some new policies to foster social distancing...where possible.  They cannot do this in crowded elevators and they cannot easily add more elevators.  For some reason marine engineers have never put escalators on ships except in some multi-level galleys for the waiters.  Perhaps the ship of the future will have more options for vertical movement, but for now it is what it is.

Hank