I have now had two cruises cancelled through no fault of my own.  The first was a Cuba cruise, when the U.S. shut all travel to Cuba down, and the second this coming August that the cruise line cancelled.  Both cruise lines (as well as 3rd party tour companies) have either refunded me, or offered a future cruise.  However, the trip insurance company has not offered any refund, despite the fact that they have no liability at all.  The most recent one has been extended to a future cruise, and I was able to get the first extended for 2 years.  But, that requires that I must take a cruise.  I feel this is unjust, and refunds should be made.  Has anyone received a refund?  I imagine they have profited quite well with this stance.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crosboro said:

I have now had two cruises cancelled through no fault of my own.  The first was a Cuba cruise, when the U.S. shut all travel to Cuba down, and the second this coming August that the cruise line cancelled.  Both cruise lines (as well as 3rd party tour companies) have either refunded me, or offered a future cruise.  However, the trip insurance company has not offered any refund, despite the fact that they have no liability at all.  The most recent one has been extended to a future cruise, and I was able to get the first extended for 2 years.  But, that requires that I must take a cruise.  I feel this is unjust, and refunds should be made.  Has anyone received a refund?  I imagine they have profited quite well with this stance.

Hi Crosboro,

May I get the following info from you?

- What State do you live in?

- When were these cruises supposed to take place?

- Who told you this? "that requires that I must take a cruise"

- Which company (ies) were your policies with?

Steve Dasseos

23 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Crosboro,

May I get the following info from you?

- What State do you live in?   Idaho

- When were these cruises supposed to take place?     Cuba was last October, this year was in August

- Who told you this? "that requires that I must take a cruise" They didn't explicitly say that.  For the August cruise, I was told that it would carryover to the next cruise (I opted for the 125% offer from Celebrity), and for the Cuba cruise, I was told by the TA that she got a 2 year extension.  I'm ok with the August resolution, but not with the Cuba one,

- Which company (ies) were your policies with? Both with April Travel Protection.

Thanks.

Steve Dasseos

Hi Crosboro,

Have you contacted April Travel Protection directly to request a refund of your policy's puchase price for the October cruise? If not, their phone number is 866 - 206 - 9308.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

20 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Crosboro,

Have you contacted April Travel Protection directly to request a refund of your policy's puchase price for the October cruise? If not, their phone number is 866 - 206 - 9308.

Steve Dasseos

No. but I'll give it a try.  Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

This may have been already asked.  Simply question: are insurance companies refunding the premium when the cruise is canceled.  Thank you

@Mary229

Howdy from a fellow Texan! emo22.gif 

To help you out I have merged your new thread into an existing thread regarding premiums when the cruise is cancelled.

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

This may have been already asked.  Simply question: are insurance companies refunding the premium when the cruise is canceled.  Thank you

Hi Mary229,

Most companies aren't refunding the premium when you are past the Free Look Period. They are letting you hold the value of your policy for a future trip.

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo
  • Like 1

Hi

I just don't get the no refund for the insurance.  The cruise was cancelled by the cruise line. My insurance is through World Travel Holdings  who has partnered with Aon Affinity and Arch Insurance Company. They will allow me to move the policy to a new date but ONLY if I book with the same travel agent at World Travel. I live in Mass.  I have a trip I'd like to book but with a group through another travel agency and it's a much better deal. If I've paid the policy and they are keeping the money why can't I move it with me? Yes I've called and asked and they said it's a special arrangement with the TA and I need to book with them or lose $1500.  Boy this isn't like a car! When you total a car in Feb you at least get the remainder of the year back.  Anything you think I can do?  Thanks! 

21 hours ago, nattygurk said:

Hi

I just don't get the no refund for the insurance.  The cruise was cancelled by the cruise line. My insurance is through World Travel Holdings who has partnered with Aon Affinity and Arch Insurance Company. They will allow me to move the policy to a new date but ONLY if I book with the same travel agent at World Travel. I live in Mass.  I have a trip I'd like to book but with a group through another travel agency and it's a much better deal. If I've paid the policy and they are keeping the money why can't I move it with me? Yes I've called and asked and they said it's a special arrangement with the TA and I need to book with them or lose $1500.  Boy this isn't like a car! When you total a car in Feb you at least get the remainder of the year back.  Anything you think I can do?  Thanks! 

Hi nattygurk,

I suggest you read the travel insurance documents you received when you bought the policy to see if you have any other options when you are past the Free Look Period.

It sounds like the World Travel Holdings arrangement with Aon Affinity and Arch Insurance Company requires you to use the same TA to re-use the policy, but perhaps the travel insurance documents say something else.

Steve Dasseos

There is no refund if cancelled after the 10 day period- which was almost 2 years ago-. But, I didn't cancel and this situation isn't anywhere in the policy. There is no mention of having to book with the same TA as "they are doing us a favor" by allowing this.  I've contacted the attorney general's office in Boston who "finds it highly unethical and will be happy to look into it." But I need to fill out the paperwork.  They said it's just such a new world with Covid "companies need to do what's right and sometimes we have to help them see that."  I figured I'd at least make them aware that I'll file a complaint and  give them the opportunity to make it right. I doubt it will make a difference- but it's just not right.  Thanks! 

Hi Steve, I had an IMG iTravelInsured policy issued through insuremytrip for a Celebrity Cruise/Tour beginning May 9 of this year.  Celebrity cancelled this cruise about mid-March.  I then called IMG to cancel the policy and was told once Celebrity had completed the refund to send documentation to IMG and they would refund the policy.  I just recently got my final refund from Celebrity and again contacted IMG who now says they are neither refunding nor giving a credit toward a future policy.  In fact the customer service was rude and essentially said "tough".  I've contacted insuremytrip as well and am awaiting info from them.  Does this seem correct to you?  Any guidance as to how to proceed?  Thanks.

5 hours ago, LaDave said:

Hi Steve, I had an IMG iTravelInsured policy issued through insuremytrip for a Celebrity Cruise/Tour beginning May 9 of this year.  Celebrity cancelled this cruise about mid-March.  I then called IMG to cancel the policy and was told once Celebrity had completed the refund to send documentation to IMG and they would refund the policy.  I just recently got my final refund from Celebrity and again contacted IMG who now says they are neither refunding nor giving a credit toward a future policy.  In fact the customer service was rude and essentially said "tough".  I've contacted insuremytrip as well and am awaiting info from them.  Does this seem correct to you?  Any guidance as to how to proceed?  Thanks.

Hi LaDave,

I'm sorry to hear how you have been treated.

Have you asked insuremytrip to intervene on your behalf? If not, ask them. I'd think they could get this resolved.

Steve Dasseos

I haven't heard back from April Travel yet, but my TA said they are allowing a future credit.  But, it has to be used within two years.  Right now I'm looking at a cruise that is just beyond two years, but the TA said they might allow it.  They have done it recently for other people.

There are actually instances where the insurance refund has been made. I know that for a fact because we got a full refund from Travel Guard when we cancelled our cruise (which was later cancelled by the cruise line). I do believe it was a unique situation. One we bought early to cover pre-existing conditions, but at the time had no money at risk as we had only a refundable deposit. And probably more importantly we are in NY state and their law required this unlike it seems all other states.

Years ago (maybe 2003 or 2004) we had a cruise chartered out from under us by a river cruise line after we made final payment. We ended up doing a land vacation instead paying less money. (Obviously meals were not included, plus it was a day or two shorter.) I called to see if we could transfer the insurance, and was pleasantly surprised that not only could we do that, but also because less was being insured we did get some money back. So I do not believe that when the insurance company extends the coverage it has to be for another cruise as opposed to any travel.

I have the exact same issue with Insuremytrip.com.  They intervened with the insurance company on my behalf, however no refund.  They offered to extend the insurance to a future trip up to three years.....guess what....after all this COVID-19 stuff I AM NOT TRAVELLING within that timeframe and want a refund.  I disputed with my credit card, and after two months of waiting got a "denial" in favor of the merchant.  The only thing the merchant said was there was a "14 day free look period" and we are not offering refunds.  No goods or services will be rendered for this cancelled (by Carnival not me) cruise.  I am brining this dispute up a level as the credit card company gave me an opportunity to provide additional rationale and documentation which is going out in the mail tomorrow.  My response to the credit card company:

1.)    Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, Carnival Cruise Lines cancelled our cruise which was scheduled for 10/19/2020.  A full refund of the cruise has been issued by Carnival Cruise Lines due to Covid-19 circumstances.

2.)    Travel insurance was purchased through Insure My Trip 8004874 4014874722 RI on 09/04/2019.

3.)    Insure My Trip was notified of the cruise cancellation on 04/13/2020.  I was instructed to provide documentation regarding the cancellation of the 10/19/2020 cruise so that a refund could be issued.  No refund was issued, however, Insure My Trip offered a credit for a future trip.  The email trail related to this is attached.

4.)    I do not desire a credit for a future trip.  With this COVID-19 pandemic and also due to the resultant fear of travelling in this environment, I will not be travelling anywhere within the timeframe offered for this credit.  I feel it is unfair to not issue a refund for travel insurance that there is no way to utilize.  The trip has been cancelled and no goods or services or risk coverage will be delivered by the insurance company due to this cancellation.

Someone mentioned a law in New York State?  Is that true?  I do live in New York State and would like to find out about this law.  If the credit card company does not come through I will be reporting them to the Attorney General.  Below is the insurance company where the plan was purchased by Insuremytrip.com

image.png.ca862c690faa801a7baf5604f4e543bf.png

Edited by mikes
Added insurance reference.

36 minutes ago, mikes said:

Someone mentioned a law in New York State?  Is that true?  I do live in New York State and would like to find out about this law.  If the credit card company does not come through I will be reporting them to the Attorney General.  Below is the insurance company where the plan was purchased by Insuremytrip.com

image.png.ca862c690faa801a7baf5604f4e543bf.png

Hi, I am the one who posted about a law in NY state.

This is what I can tell you. When we booked our cruise it was only with a small refundable deposit. In fact the insurance as we are both senior citizens was more than the deposit. Our TA said even the insurance money was not at risk because of NY law. That really meant nothing to me at the time since we had no idea we would cancel. And then this virus hit, and we actually cancelled about a month before Princess did. (I think they wanted our final payment in their hands before they cancelled.)

The refund was on our credit card website about 3 weeks later. (Still of course waiting for Princess now just short of 3 months.)

When I originally posted that the refund was coming, Steve Dasseos asked that I confirm it when I actually had it as he had never heard of Travel Guard refunding except in the small look back period.

I would contact NY's Insurance authorities or maybe have your state assemblyman or senator contact them for you. They would be the ones who would know the details and if the law would be applicable to your situation.

Just one more note---I would not have know this if not told by my TA. It was also the TA who sent in the application for the refund. For all those who think there is no benefit to using a TA, this might be something to think about.

5 hours ago, mikes said:

Someone mentioned a law in New York State?  Is that true?  I do live in New York State and would like to find out about this law.  If the credit card company does not come through I will be reporting them to the Attorney General.

Hi Mike,

As Ontheweb stated, I first heard about AIG being required to give a NY resident a cash refund on their policy from Ontheweb. It's worked for two of my NY customers.

Neither of us know if it's a law, so Ontheweb's advice is the best I've heard: "I would contact NY's Insurance authorities or maybe have your state assemblyman or senator contact them for you. They would be the ones who would know the details and if the law would be applicable to your situation."

Steve Dasseos

20 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Mike,

As Ontheweb stated, I first heard about AIG being required to give a NY resident a cash refund on their policy from Ontheweb. It's worked for two of my NY customers.

Neither of us know if it's a law, so Ontheweb's advice is the best I've heard: "I would contact NY's Insurance authorities or maybe have your state assemblyman or senator contact them for you. They would be the ones who would know the details and if the law would be applicable to your situation."

Steve Dasseos

Thank you, Steve, for repeating the advice I gave.

I want to repeat that I do not know if having had no money at risk was one of the factors in NY law being applicable in my case. Perhaps you can give details from the other 2 from my state that were able to receive refunds with your help based on what you learned from me (and indirectly my TA).

I did see in another forum a cite where there was a proposed NY law that would make all insurance payments on cancelations due to the corona virus fully refundable. I don't know if this was ever passed, and even if it has I would think it would be the kind of ex post facto law that is prohibited by the Constitution.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Thank you, Steve, for repeating the advice I gave.

I want to repeat that I do not know if having had no money at risk was one of the factors in NY law being applicable in my case. Perhaps you can give details from the other 2 from my state that were able to receive refunds with your help based on what you learned from me (and indirectly my TA).

I did see in another forum a cite where there was a proposed NY law that would make all insurance payments on cancelations due to the corona virus fully refundable. I don't know if this was ever passed, and even if it has I would think it would be the kind of ex post facto law that is prohibited by the Constitution.

Travel Guard didn't challenge my request when I asked for the refunds, but they also won't give me any explanation for it.

3 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Travel Guard didn't challenge my request when I asked for the refunds, but they also won't give me any explanation for it.

LOL, I guess it a state secret. Maybe they are afraid if you knew you could advocate for other states to have a similar law.

Anyway for the sake of the others who you got refunds for, I'm glad it worked out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikes said:

Well....I stepped up my credit card dispute and mailed that out today.  Also filed a complaint with the NYS Attorney General.  We will see where this goes!

I really would have tried the insurance commission first and by going through one of your state representatives. DW once had a problem with the education department. I went to our state senator who was having a constituent day and explained the problem. He said to have her write him a letter with the details I had given him asking for help. They came around to our position. (It probably did not hurt her case that he was the Chairman of the Senate Education Committee.)

• 3 weeks later...