Cruise Critic Community
MarkE

City Stay Amsterdam

Just booked British Isles next May do they offer the City stay program for Amsterdam?  Agent said it was no posted information 

at this time.  Has anyone done this in previous years?  How was it and what was the cost?  Do you recommend it?  Also how far out can 

you get quote on Celebrity Air.

Mark - Amsterdam is a wonderful city with spectacular sights.  Can't comment on this particular tour, but can only suggest that you look into what is there.... and see what you want to see.... not what the slow-moving X bus tour takes you to.

Some great sites include:

Rijksmuseum

Van Gogh Museum

Anne Frank House

Daily flower auction at Aaslmeer

Keukenhof Gardens - In early May it will still be open

You will miss most of these on the X tour and that's a shame.  Please consider staying near the Museums and seeing what you want to see.  It's an easy city to get around.....just watch out for all the bikes!

Amsterdam is a pretty compact city and easy to walk if you don’t have mobility issues. We had no issues doing a stay there on our own. Took the train from the airport to the city center and was able to walk most places from our hotel.

I know that they have offered it in the past because 2 friends of mine booked it last year for our Baltic Cruise. They thought it was wonderful. Not sure of the price but probably fairly high.

Thanks for the information.

On 6/16/2020 at 4:53 AM, MarkE said:

Just booked British Isles next May do they offer the City stay program for Amsterdam?  Agent said it was no posted information 

at this time.  Has anyone done this in previous years?  How was it and what was the cost?  Do you recommend it?  Also how far out can 

Did 4 days in Amsterdam a few years ago before a river cruise on Uniworld. Definitely worth the time. Toughest venue to get reservations for is the Anne Frank house, a must in my opinion. You can book online. We did our own tour with lots of walking. Also plan on a trip to the tulips at KEUKENHOF if it is open

On 6/16/2020 at 7:53 AM, MarkE said:

Are you booked on the May 5, 2021 British Isles?  I am supposed to be on that cruise now and since it was canceled I am booked for May 5,2021.  I can't remember if the City stay was offered pre/post or not.  Celebrity told me it was to early to book Air.  We were booked with Delta out of TPA for 2020 so I checked the Delta site a week or so ago and there were no flights posted yet to book for 2021.

Not booked on your cruise  but offering my observations based upon my prior trip. I typically don’t use pre or post cruise excursions in most cities. In Amsterdam English is prevalent and it is a city that takes more than a day. Stay in a b&b on one of the canals if possible and enjoy the  city. 

We did city stay through celebrity last fall.  It was lovely in my opinion if you didn’t want to do the planning.  We are Canadian and the price last year was $3k Cdn for the two of us.

the first day we arrived in Amsterdam at 8 am and was met with a private car to take us to the hotel.  Hotel was Amsterdam Marriott just a couple of blocks from the Rijksmuseum.  Hotel was lovely and included breakfast.

Day 1 you had to yourself so we took the opportunity to explore Amsterdam on our own.  Left hotel at 9 am and was back to check in to room by 3:30.... lots of walking!

day 2 we were met at the hotel by our bus.  There were about 20 people in total on the tour.  Day 2 was spent in the country....volendam( with lunch at beautiful hotel) Edam, zaanse schans, and Marken...it was lovely... got back to hotel at dinner time which was on your own.

day3 city tour didn’t start until after lunch do lots of time to see more of Amsterdam... we did 4 hrs at rijksmuseum in the morning.  City tour was lovely as well and included a canal cruise, diamond factory and dinner with group.

next day we were picked up at hotel and brought to cruise... were there by 10:30 ish.

was it expensive?  Yes but it saved us doing all the arranging and who knows what what we would have missed.  We had never been before.  I thought it was packed full and made me want to go back to the Netherlands so was worth it to us.  

Stayed twice in Amsterdam, pre-cruise. Great, fun city with lots to do. If you opt for a hotel, The Movenpick is steps from the cruise terminal. When you awake on cruise day, there will be your cruise ship. Looks as if you can reach out and touch it. Getting into city center requires transportation unless you are up for a good walk. The Banks Mansion is a city center hotel I also recommend. Walking distance to many attractions, restaurants and clubs.

We toured with "That Dam Guide" during one stay. Small, intimate group and wonderful tour. Used Viator the second stay for two days. A larger group but very enjoyable and informative tours. 

Lots to research and decide. One thing for certain, you will have fun.

18 minutes ago, thundermom said:

Yes but it saved us doing all the arranging and who knows what what we would have missed. 

LOL. For years, whether cruising or enjoying land vacations, half of my enjoyment has come from conducting research and making all of the necessary arrangements. On the other hand, DW is quite content and sufficiently trusting to let me do all of the planning.:classic_smile:

@MarkE, you might want to check out this thread, from a few days ago. There's lots of good information that might be helpful to you:

Like Fouremco I do lots of research prior to every trip. The tours can't always accomplish getting into small venues and they need to stay on a clock. With the web there is so much information on both Cruisecritic and other trip and tour websites. Doing it my way I hope to never return home and say "I wish I had known" on something missed. The best example I can give in Amsterdam is not missing the Anne Frank haus https://www.annefrank.org/en/  and https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/explore-the-collection .  I currently have a trip that has been postponed for safety to Oct 2021 with Celebrity around Italy and have 1/2 the trip scheduled on our own hiking Cinque Terre, visiting Lago di Como, and even extra days on our own in Venice (3rd visit there). However you decide to go however enjoy every moment and expose yourself to the culture, food, and sites. Can't wait for when we feel it is safe to travel as cabin fever has set in!!

On 6/16/2020 at 7:53 AM, MarkE said:

Airlines usually post their schedules and allow booking 330 days before departure.  Of course with what's going on currently, this could be a very fluid situation.  Also, even in the best of times you could expect some changes even after flights are booked. 

5 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

Not booked on your cruise  but offering my observations based upon my prior trip. I typically don’t use pre or post cruise excursions in most cities. In Amsterdam English is prevalent and it is a city that takes more than a day. Stay in a b&b on one of the canals if possible and enjoy the  city. 

I have stayed in a B & B several times in Amsterdam always on a canal the other times in hotels on the Prinsengracht. Usually take an Uber from the airport or the public bus from Schiphol airport for 6 euros. The entire city is walkable from just about anywhere. Lots of cafes, restaurants and bars to choose from. The Keukenhof is a must see if you are visiting in mid May.

FB_IMG_1530113549747.jpg

We had a wonderful time in Amsterdam after our Fjord cruise last year, when the cruising world still was all wine and roses. LOL!

Stayed in the Krasnapolsky- wonderful historical hotel right across the Palace- great starting place for almost everything!

I don’t know your exact dates but just a heads up the Eurovision Song Contest is in Rotterdam 18,20,22 May, hotels etc will be at a premium, so book early.

Rosalyn

Stayed in Amsterdam for five nights pre-cruise in August 2018.  Cruise was a 12 nighter on the Celebrity Equinox, I think, cruising the British Isles, beginning and ending in Amsterdam.

We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria which just opened that year.  Pricey, but fabulous.  Great location, can walk anywhere. Over the first four days, my wife and I walked 46 miles, a great walking city.  Just walked the four canals over and over, and got to see everything.

The Waldorf Astoria is close to the museum district, and an easy walk to Anne Frank (West and North of the hotel) and the City Center, Red Light District (North of the hotel), the flower district (on the way to Anne Frank), and everything in between.

A great central location, a more upscale area of Amsterdam, with great evening entertainment and food/wine. 

They have a transit system to get you around, but no need for that.  It is easy walking.  My wife and I are in our early seventies, and had no problem getting around and felt safe the whole time.  (Except for the bikes which you need to watch out for.  In Amsterdam there are two bicycles for every resident.)

The many museums (we especially loved the Van Gogh museum), Anne Frank House, Red Light District, the many canal boat rides, the outdoor cafes, all wonderful.

I highly recommend Amsterdam.  It is truly a vibrant city, with many very happy people.  (Maybe the legalized pot has something to do with that, but...................)  

In addition to all above, Amsterdam offers a "City Card" ranging from 1 to 5 days in length providing access to attractions, museums, transportation (trams etc).  Great way to get around.  Do to the virus many venues are time blocked and require reservations. 

I looked into it and it is very difficult to get value from the city card unless you are running from venue to venue. Take it slower and see and enjoy the sites. 

Oh I forgot the legal pott- lol. Very interessting, if a bit iritating in the beginn, seeing people prepare their pott- pipes or rolling their pott cigies for all the world to see. LOL.

On 6/23/2020 at 12:21 AM, lifeisrealygood said:

Stayed in Amsterdam for five nights pre-cruise in August 2018.  Cruise was a 12 nighter on the Celebrity Equinox, I think, cruising the British Isles, beginning and ending in Amsterdam.

We stayed at the Waldorf Astoria which just opened that year.  Pricey, but fabulous.  Great location, can walk anywhere. Over the first four days, my wife and I walked 46 miles, a great walking city.  Just walked the four canals over and over, and got to see everything.

The Waldorf Astoria is close to the museum district, and an easy walk to Anne Frank (West and North of the hotel) and the City Center, Red Light District (North of the hotel), the flower district (on the way to Anne Frank), and everything in between.

A great central location, a more upscale area of Amsterdam, with great evening entertainment and food/wine. 

They have a transit system to get you around, but no need for that.  It is easy walking.  My wife and I are in our early seventies, and had no problem getting around and felt safe the whole time.  (Except for the bikes which you need to watch out for.  In Amsterdam there are two bicycles for every resident.)

The many museums (we especially loved the Van Gogh museum), Anne Frank House, Red Light District, the many canal boat rides, the outdoor cafes, all wonderful.

I highly recommend Amsterdam.  It is truly a vibrant city, with many very happy people.  (Maybe the legalized pot has something to do with that, but...................)  

Love Amsterdam. I go every summer to visit my son and family who live on the Prinsengracht canal. Sad I'll miss out this summer but plan on doing a 12 night on the Reflection September 2021. Hope it's ok by then.

On 6/16/2020 at 8:29 AM, PelicanLvr said:

Mark - Amsterdam is a wonderful city with spectacular sights.  Can't comment on this particular tour, but can only suggest that you look into what is there.... and see what you want to see.... not what the slow-moving X bus tour takes you to.

Some great sites include:

Rijksmuseum

Van Gogh Museum

Anne Frank House

Daily flower auction at Aaslmeer

Keukenhof Gardens - In early May it will still be open

You will miss most of these on the X tour and that's a shame.  Please consider staying near the Museums and seeing what you want to see.  It's an easy city to get around.....just watch out for all the bikes!

I visited Amsterdam in 1982 and loved the city.

Also did a canal cruise and a tour to the Zyder Zee.  

I have been to most of the great art museums in the World and the Rijksmuseum is one of my favorites.  The Night Watch painting will WOW you.   

It is best to find a small  hotel on a canal.  Only issue is sometimes you might have to walk up a couple of flights of stairs to your room.

Amsterdam is one of the easiest and most pleasant cities to get around. 

As others have said, it's fairly compact and easy to walk around. However, the tram system is also excellent should you get tired.

I would say find a nice hotel near Vondelpark and take it from there.

Be sure to book your museum tickets in advance, as they can get very busy. A gem off the beaten track is The House of Bols for a quirky and boozy museum.

If this is your first visit go see the sights of the RLD, but don't stress if you don't see it - overrated in my opinion. 

There's also Balthazar's Keuchen on Elandsgracht for a fab meal. I've eaten in 2 Michelin starred places and the food here is very good.

Not my home city (damn Brexit), but a close second. Any questions, just ask.