When will the Med open?

Oxo

Spain announced yesterday that they’re closed to cruises for the rest of 2010.  Italy will announce on or around July 1st if they’ll open to US visitors.  If they do, hopefully the ports will open as well.  Waiting to see if our Oct 6th cruise will sail.

28 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

Spain announced yesterday that they’re closed to cruises for the rest of 2010.  Italy will announce on or around July 1st if they’ll open to US visitors.  If they do, hopefully the ports will open as well.  Waiting to see if our Oct 6th cruise will sail.

Spain closed to cruises for indefinite period ... can interpret as being to a date to be determined, may be or may be not in 2020!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, sellwingri said:

They are obviously working backwards 

2010😎

With August and most of September 2020 now unable to book looks like late September at the very earliest.

43 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

2010😎

With August and most of September 2020 now unable to book looks like late September at the very earliest.

My cruise, ex BCN on 20th Sept is still selling, Eek, maybe it will be one of the first 😬. Allure will be fresh out of dry dock, not sure if I would be comfortable with being a guinea pig, wish they had included mine in the cancellation so I could get my deposit back in cash, ah well will have to wait and see

4 hours ago, sgmn said:

My cruise, ex BCN on 20th Sept is still selling, Eek, maybe it will be one of the first 😬. Allure will be fresh out of dry dock, not sure if I would be comfortable with being a guinea pig, wish they had included mine in the cancellation so I could get my deposit back in cash, ah well will have to wait and see

We were supposed to be getting on as you were getting off but have already L&S'd to next year on Harmony. 😞

20 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

We were supposed to be getting on as you were getting off but have already L&S'd to next year on Harmony. 😞

Yeap, I tried to do that, but I had booked through an interline travel agent and Royal Caribbean wouldn't allow it. Of course Harmony for next year is hundreds of pounds more than the good price I got for Allure so we will probably cancel and take the FCC for the deposit 

4 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Yeap, I tried to do that, but I had booked through an interline travel agent and Royal Caribbean wouldn't allow it. Of course Harmony for next year is hundreds of pounds more than the good price I got for Allure so we will probably cancel and take the FCC for the deposit 

That's bad luck. 😞 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

2010😎

If cruises will saill this year from the Med it will only be on ships that will be in Europe anyhow; hence Allure, Explorer and or Anthem.

28 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

If cruises will saill this year from the Med it will only be on ships that will be in Europe anyhow; hence Allure, Explorer and or Anthem.

Jewel? 

3 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Jewel? 

She is also in Europe currently, but wouldn't fit into the profile mentioned by Fain to start up operations with larger ships as they can be operated at lower capacities more economically.

I juust thought about something else, assuming cruises out of Europe could happen as of Augst or September let's say on Allure, what will be the point for RCL to fully stff the ship for two months  let's say and once getting to the US the ship will not be able to sail anyhow untl the end of the year or longer given the situation will now allow to start up cruises. Hence, this could also be something that will affect the decision on how things will develop.

58 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

I wonder in what condition Explorer will come out of Dry Dock, the ship was quite worn as all hopes were for the dry dock and now, nothing will be done except for Marine Maintenance...

I think they will do more than just marine maintenance, most of the supplies are probably already sitting at Breast dry dock warehouses 

28 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Allure should be near the end of her yard period, I wonder if there will be any info put out by Royal?

I'm waiting to see if she goes straight back to the Caribbean or hangs around the Med after dry dock, either way I guess they will have to crew her up 

37 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Screenshot_20200620-114343_Chrome.thumb.jpg.0eeb230b84110fd02e764345794cbb77.jpg

Have you see raffles that are held in spring to see when a car will go through the ice?  Maybe someone could do that for which cruise line, ship date and time for the first major cruise line cruise!!

https://www.wilx.com/content/news/Car-plunge-contest-to-benefit-rotary-505896191.html

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sgmn said:

I'm waiting to see if she goes straight back to the Caribbean or hangs around the Med after dry dock, either way I guess they will have to crew her up 

If you should seing Allure head straight to the Caribbean then you know that there will be no Europe season at all this year, hence at this stage very unlikely we will see this happen just yet at least.

14 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Allure should be near the end of her yard period, I wonder if there will be any info put out by Royal?

Yes, she´s almost done...

But Spain has declared that the ports stay closed for an undefinite time (for cruise ships).  The Italian ports are still closed for cruise ships. So currently maybe Marseilles might be the only port the Allure can go... She´s too big for other ports. Barcelona, Palma, La Spezia, Civitavecchia, Naples are all closed for cruise ships.

steamboats

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

The Source for this article is Cruise Critic. 😇

And the answer is right at the end of the first sentence "but not to cruises anytime soon".

The Med countries are opening up slowly but the ports are still closed for cruises.

steamboats

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you try to book cruises, RCL took out already all bookings up until Mid September. Hence we will probably get a anouncement in the next days that all cruises in North America and Europe will be cancelled until Mid September and in one more month probably that all cruises are cancelled in Europe for the remaining season and the US until at least mid or end of october and so on.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

If you try to book cruises, RCL took out already all bookings up until Mid September. Hence we will probably get a anouncement in the next days that all cruises in North America and Europe will be cancelled until Mid September and in one more month probably that all cruises are cancelled in Europe for the remaining season and the US until at least mid or end of october and so on.

Sadly this is likely true.  The announcements are made after final payment dates are past.  Cash is king right now and every druise line is starved for it.  Whatever it takes for survival at this point.  Looking forward to the day we are all at a sailaway party and laughing at this!