Wind on Vista Suite Balcony

Hi all,  we booked a sailing around the horn which I’m assuming will be windy.  We are waitlisted for an OS.  We are booked in a PH, however, it is a longer sailing with several sea days.  We are still running a company and need to set up shop.  We typically work 90 min in the morning and another 90 min when we return from shore before dinner so we really need more space than a PH plus there are many sea days.

I am thinking of changing our booking to a VS but I’m not thrilled with the balcony being unusable if windy.  Any thoughts?..... and does the long walk to basically everywhere get old after awhile?  The deck 12 OS is the perfect size for us so the larger size of the VS is not a factor.  Thx

Not to be a jerk, but if you do a search this topic has been discussed repeatedly. You'll find a lot of opinions on it. My only input is that I don't consider any room on any Oceania ship a long walk to anywhere else on the ship. But that could be a matter of a person's mobility and perceptions. 

I was in Vista suite 12001 on the Riviera last November-December in the Caribbean. We had only one windy afternoon during our 10 day cruise.  We used the veranda every day.  On windy days the lounge chairs are tied down.  I would imagine that your cruise will have more windy days.  The pool is less than a one minute walk from the suite, so on windy days you could use the pool area.  The Terrace Cafe is just another one minute walk from the pool.  The distances from the Vista Suite to any dining venue are very short, same as for the OC suites.  I loved the Vista Suite!  You will have a lot of room for work.  You didn't say when your cruise is, but the chances are good that you will be able to get an OC as people will likely cancel before final payment is due.

I would never sail in a Vista if I were to sail again on Oceania

Twice was 2 times too many.

The balcony is essentially unusable

The furniture is tied down and you need to get help to untie it.

You get interrupted by staff to set up the balcony for sailing.

You have to close the drapes at certain times

We also do not like having to walk the entire length of the ship to the dining venues (or to Baristas on the larger ships).

On the larger ships the Oceania Suite is way nicer.

• Like 1

That’s exactly why I asked the question again.  I keep reading opposite opinions.  It’s around the horn in January 2022, probably windy.

I am hoping an OC opens up.  The OS is $5500 pp more than the VS and that’s about $5500 more than I am willing to spend.

is there a difference between decks?  Deck 8 and 9 are available.

15 hours ago, bitob said:

We also do not like having to walk the entire length of the ship to the dining venues (or to Baristas on the larger ships).

Been there done that and I agree 100% with this post.  OC is the way to go. 

• Like 1

Pure physics..... and seamanship.           The ship sails at 19 kts  about 22 mph  so that wind will be present any time the ship is in motion     Second, ships try to set their course t sail into the wind   so you can add a 10 Kt local wind ( but may be 18 to 25 Kts) to the ships speed 

So, you can expect a good 30 to 40 mph wind coming head on.       Couple all this with the Wind chill of such a wind and you get a general picture of usability.

If you look at the ship..you will notice the ship's bridge is full enclosed and the spa deck is provided with huge wind deflectors.......   For a reason

For grins with some one else driving hav them drive 30 mph and stick your head out  and see how you like it.....   your call

Edited by Hawaiidan

23 hours ago, LJRVancouver said:

Did Vista suite some years back. Balcony was massive but as was overlooking hull  felt we lost connection with sea. Much preferred Oceania Suite.

Also preferred the media room of the Oceania Suite as opposed to private fitness room of the Vista Suite

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

I'm thrilled with threads like this because they keep demand (and therefore costs) for the Vista Suites down

To each, his own, but WE adore them 

Ca6nkq8nKfeJ5oRjY1MLfa7MQqZuQ-ZBqIS0aF-O

-You don't know what you're missing 🤫

I know exactly what I  am missing but I do not miss it at  all.  Different strokes.  You enjoy. 

3 hours ago, RJB said:

I know exactly what I  am missing but I do not miss it at  all.  Different strokes.  You enjoy. 

Not trying to convince you, but your "issue" with the Vista suites has always been unrealistic expectations.

As your travel experience widens,  the benefits of different types of experiences may grow on you-

In other words, the best most expensive toaster in the World just won't do if one is trying to use it as a frying pan.

• Like 1

This is a nice problem to have is all I can add to it 🙂

I aspire to have problems like this with my choice of cabin 🙂

Have a wonderful cruise whatever you decide!

On 6/17/2020 at 4:14 PM, bitob said:

Absolutely agree.  When the ship is moving, it can't be used.  Most of the time the furniture was tied down.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, StanandJim said:

Not trying to convince you, but your "issue" with the Vista suites has always been unrealistic expectations.

As your travel experience widens,  the benefits of different types of experiences may grow on you-

In other words, the best most expensive toaster in the World just won't do if one is trying to use it as a frying pan.

I think you are very confused.  My expectations were very realistic in staying in a Vista Suite and they were  not met at all.  If we can not use our veranda half the time or more than having a Vista is not good. The Oceania Suite more than met our  expectations so we know what is good for us. And we don't have a toaster so could not possibly use it as a frying pan. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RJB said:

3 hours ago, RJB said:

I think you are very confused.  My expectations were very realistic in staying in a Vista Suite and they were  not met at all.  If we can not use our veranda half the time or more than having a Vista is not good. The Oceania Suite more than met our  expectations so we know what is good for us. And we don't have a toaster so could not possibly use it as a frying pan.

I never quite know if you truly don't "get" my replies, or if you are deliberately being obtuse.

Your error was in presuming that you could use the Vista Suite exactly as you had previous cabins even though you knew that their location was VERY special and different.  

As the toaster analogy didn't make a dent, I will try  this one:

A Jaguar automobile, though beautiful and superb pieces of engineering, make lousy commuter cars......

I never quite know if you truly don't "get" my replies, or if you are deliberately being obtuse.

Your error was in presuming that you could use the Vista Suite exactly as you had previous cabins even though you knew that their location was VERY special and different.  

A Jaguar automobile, though beautiful and superb pieces of engineering, make lousy commuter cars......

Let me see if I’ve got this straight. If I’m okay with commuting in a jaguar, I’d be okay with a VS?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

10 hours ago, blacksmith said:

Let me see if I’ve got this straight. If I’m okay with commuting in a jaguar, I’d be okay with a VS?
Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Close!

If you are the type of person who could commute in a Jaguar without moaning that it is not as commodius as the fully loaded Escalades which your compatriots are sporting, then you are getting my meaning.

Vistas are not the Be All and End All of Suites,  but when their unique attributes are utilized to the fullest, they are truly extraordinary.

What I'm really trying to say here is that while I see the draw of being able to shlep my book out onto the veranda for a quiet breezy read on every single day of the cruise, I'd also be willing to trade that in for four of five episodes of once in a lifetime Spectacular.  

6008376259_db333cb0c7.jpgVistas have always provided me with spectacular.

YMMV

• Like 2

Perhaps on the smaller ships where there are only owners suites and vistas above the PH level I can see  the argument.  If you want the space you only have 2 choices.

However, IMO, on the larger ships, the Oceania Suite has no downsides as all.  It is huge and better laid out.  I think it's worth more than the VS (don't tell O)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

Close!

If you are the type of person who could commute in a Jaguar without moaning that it is not as commodius as the fully loaded Escalades which your compatriots are sporting, then you are getting my meaning.

Vistas are not the Be All and End All of Suites,  but when their unique attributes are utilized to the fullest, they are truly extraordinary.

What I'm really trying to say here is that while I see the draw of being able to shlep my book out onto the veranda for a quiet breezy read on every single day of the cruise, I'd also be willing to trade that in for four of five episodes of once in a lifetime Spectacular.  

6008376259_db333cb0c7.jpgVistas have always provided me with spectacular.

YMMV

I mean no matter how funny it may look but if there is a good weather and nobody is bothering you with anything omg I would enjoying laying there so much especially if I could connect my PS4 to the TV.. at night! Get a few bottle of beer or smth and fruits and just chill or even have a night out there in the tub 

On 6/19/2020 at 2:00 PM, LJRVancouver said:

Also preferred the media room of the Oceania Suite as opposed to private fitness room of the Vista Suite

Here we have to agree to disagree.  While we love both the OC and the VS, we vastly prefer the fitness room to the -- for us, useless -- media room. We do use the media room for storage, however ...

We've been in Deck 8 VS cabins on Marina twice, and in the OC aft cabins 3 or 4 times.  We didn't encounter the wind problem that people complain about with the VS veranda, but it's true that there were some times when the deck furniture was tied down.  But in OUR experience, those times were few and far between.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 6:22 PM, StanandJim said:

I was very happy to go anywhere in my Jaguar even commute.  Great ride for a road trip that even might go to Connecticut.  I do get your replies even thou I do not always agree with them.  Still, stay safe and some day we may  meet on a cruise and have a great chat.