Question about Silver Shadow and Itinerary

Silversea is promoting some offers that are very enticing but I'm reading some negative reviews of the ship and its service and in particular the itinerary from Aqaba to Mumbai.  Many are giving these ports low ratings and even used some not so great language to describe some of the ports.  I have always valued the feedback from my fellow cruisers to enlighten me on various topics over the years and I am counting on your input to determine whether or not I should continue to consider this ship and itinerary.  Thanking you in advance for your feedback!

16 minutes ago, Phillygirl3 said:

but I'm reading some negative reviews of the ship and its service 

I do not know this itinerary, but I can speak of the ship.  The ship went through a major rehab/drydock last year and is very fresh.  

There was major revision on Deck 5, and the Atrium Bar (or whatever they call it now) and lounge area is a wonderful addition:  snacks and coffees and drinks from 6:30 am until very late.  There's also lots of comfortable seating.  

There were other changes such as removal of unnecessary computer room, moving library to Observation area, expansion of Panorama, refreshing spa facilities, etc.  It's a great ship and I prefer it to Whisper (that has not been so significantly changed).  

It is difficult to generalize about service.  Reviewers tend to be people with bad experiences, and there are doubtless some (very, very few!) crew on Shadow who are tired or upset by news from home, etc.  But the service is to the Silversea standard.  If there are problems, the Guest Relations Manager can be easily contacted and will sort things out promptly.  

We did part of this itinerary in 2019 on the Shadow before the refit.  If you are looking at the  Dec. 2021 voyage, it goes from Aqaba (Petra) to Mumbai with stops at Safaga, Egypt (overnight), Muscat and Khasab.

There is no downside to Petra - it is beautiful and there is something to explore no many how many times you have been there.  Safaga is a good 3.5 hours from Luxor, but they may offer an overnight excursion in Luxor (there is at least one elegant classic hotel).  Luxor Temple, Karnak Temple and the Valley of the Kings are all there, so that is another can't lose location.

Our cruise did not go to Muscat, but I wish that it had.  Of all of the ports in Oman, Muscat seemed to get the most positive reviews.  Khasab is definitely not a tourist location, but it offers boat tours to the 'fjords' of Oman where you will see dolphins and jellyfish.  The fun thing about Khasab is that its main industry is smuggling to and from Iran, and you will see a constant parade of speed boats skipping back and forth across the strait.

I did not take the portion of the cruise from Oman to Mumbai (ours left from Dubai), and I understand that the voyage prior to ours, which went from Mumbai to Dubai, had some complaints because there simply weren't any attractive ports to visit between Mumbai and Dubai.  In the 2021 itinerary (which goes in the easterly direction)  they have broken it up differently.

I would have no reservations recommending this itinerary.

We (my DW and I) were originally on the Shadow in 2008 and again before the massive design change.  We thought the ship lovely both times, and now, after the design change, we look forward to our next voyage on her even more.

8 hours ago, dawntrdr said:

Our cruise did not go to Muscat, but I wish that it had.  Of all of the ports in Oman, Muscat seemed to get the most positive reviews.  Khasab is definitely not a tourist location, but it offers boat tours to the 'fjords' of Oman where you will see dolphins and jellyfish.  The fun thing about Khasab is that its main industry is smuggling to and from Iran, and you will see a constant parade of speed boats skipping back and forth across the strait.

This is the Musundam Peninsula, very scenic and enjoyable cruise through the inlets.  Smuggling from Iran is correct - we bought quite a large quantity of the highest grade saffron for a knock-down price.

We didn't do this on a cruise, we did it on a road trip all around the seven Emirates.  Musundam was a side trip from Ras al Khaimah.  

On 6/18/2020 at 1:41 AM, Fletcher said:

This is the Musundam Peninsula, very scenic and enjoyable cruise through the inlets.  Smuggling from Iran is correct - we bought quite a large quantity of the highest grade saffron for a knock-down price.

We didn't do this on a cruise, we did it on a road trip all around the seven Emirates.  Musundam was a side trip from Ras al Khaimah.  

Just have to ask. Buying saffron at a knock-down price sends my scam shields up. How did you determine that is was as advertised?  

5 hours ago, milepig said:

Just have to ask. Buying saffron at a knock-down price sends my scam shields up. How did you determine that is was as advertised?  

Because it came in thoroughly professional packs of three small plastic bottles - this is saffron threads, not powder - and had exactly the right colour and appearance to be of the finest grade, as it proved to be when I started to use it at home (try adding a pinch to a proper homemade ratatouille).  If memory serves our 9 bottles cost something like $50, a third of what it might have cost back home.   It was far better than the 'top grade' stuff I bought last year in Almaty, Kazakhstan.

Thank you for your interest.

Edited by Fletcher

We were on the last cruise before the refurb.
The only issue that concerned me was that, in my opinion, La Terrazza could not cope at a busy lunchtime. It is a very small buffet area and in the restaurant itself they appeared to be short of staff. I put the latter down to sending folk home before the dry dock. The buffet area was not scheduled for any refurb / enlargement at the dry dock.
Apart from that it was fine. Some people say the decorations in the accommodations are dated but that is a personal opinion. We didn’t spend much time in the suite anyway[emoji16]

8 hours ago, Fletcher said:

Because it came in thoroughly professional packs of three small plastic bottles - this is saffron threads, not powder - and had exactly the right colour and appearance to be of the finest grade, as it proved to be when I started to use it at home (try adding a pinch to a proper homemade ratatouille).  If memory serves our 9 bottles cost something like $50, a third of what it might have cost back home.   It was far better than the 'top grade' stuff I bought last year in Almaty, Kazakhstan.

Thank you for your interest.

Thanks for the information and that is indeed a deal. We bought some in a market in Spain when we were on a walk about with the ship's chef, and he took us to the places he uses for such stuff.