Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
SherriZ366

CDC -- any idea of progress in working with Cruise Lines for new Health Protocols to allow ships to sail? .

Recommended Posts

Has the CDC begun working with the cruise lines to set new standards for cruises when the companies can resume sailing?  Cruise Line Executives met with the CDC last Thursday but the topic was crew repatriation.  Does anyone know if there has been any progress  in drawing up  requirements for the lines and the cruisers?  Or is the CDC dragging its feet?  

 

Market Watch posted an articles that and Analyst said  the CDC should be blamed for extended cruise suspensions.  It said the industry has been actively developing health protocols.  The CDC  is unwilling to discuss, debate and mutually implement the highest standards for passenger and crew health.  

Read in MarketWatch: https://apple.news/AboEb0JbhQkGcZvF8ezzIAg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine that a bureaucracy failing to deal with the public.  You can’t fire, them or un-elect them imagine that because they are immune to us they don’t respond to us.  shocking....   or completely predictable.

 

jc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CDC already told the cruise lines what they wanted in their no sail order.  As of right now, unless the cruise lines are gonna have fleets or quarantine and hospital ships and not have to rely on foreign countries for aid for outbreaks the CDC is likely not gonna listen while Covid is running rampant.  The CDC I am sure has enough on their hands as it stands.  Listening to the cruise lines pitch inadequate plans that do not address the requirements they have laid out is not likely at the top of their agenda.  Especially when the cruiselines can’t even repatriate their crew effectively.  If they can’t get the crew home the CDC likely doesn’t have much faith in them getting Covid positive, quarantined passengers and exposed passengers home either.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to take away from anything, but the country and CDC failed the people. When the focus should have been on stopping this from getting here, the news and media were focused on Kobe Bryant. Instead, the media and government should have been focused on stopping Covid-19. We only heard about Kobe Bryant in the news for 3 weeks. Then another week later murmurs of Covid-19 being really bad. Then it was a pandemic a week after that when the markets crashed.

 

15849609985e7895e65c3ef.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SherriZ366 said:

Does anyone know if there has been any progress  in drawing up  requirements for the lines and the cruisers?  Or is the CDC dragging its feet?  


No idea.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 days after the CDC meeting, Disney cruise lines announced they will start limited cruises to the  Bahamas.  This is a soft opening.  Why did they do that?  We know that a magic button will not happen, and that at some point, a ship will sail in the near future.  The disease is not going away, but being managed.  Some of the islands are now opening, including Bahamas.  We are now 38 days away from the no sail order to end.  Stop speculating, the "spikes" are not really a spike, and is expected.  I go out everyday, without a mask.  I give hugs, handshakes.  It's time to stop the media frenzy, and realize that you can go out, and do things.  It is your personal choice to go or not to go, but the business will start up soon.  Most likely in the very near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Joseph2017China said:

We know that a magic button will not happen, and that at some point, a ship will sail in the near future. 

Other lines might be looking at Bahama Paradise, which is set to sail the day after the current end of CDC no sail order.They are the only ones that have a green light from the CDC for crew repatriation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

3 days after the CDC meeting, Disney cruise lines announced they will start limited cruises to the  Bahamas.  This is a soft opening.  Why did they do that?  We know that a magic button will not happen, and that at some point, a ship will sail in the near future.  The disease is not going away, but being managed.  Some of the islands are now opening, including Bahamas.  We are now 38 days away from the no sail order to end.  Stop speculating, the "spikes" are not really a spike, and is expected.  I go out everyday, without a mask.  I give hugs, handshakes.  It's time to stop the media frenzy, and realize that you can go out, and do things.  It is your personal choice to go or not to go, but the business will start up soon.  Most likely in the very near future.

 

<smdh>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's insight from Carnival CEO! U read between the lines, but no & it is going to be weeks or months before anything is created, so thanks for all the money not returned to you!

https://thepointsguy.com/news/carnival-ceo-arnold-donald-interview/?utm_content=B0B0FBDA-AFEA-11EA-BFCC-2FF34744363C&utm_term=editorial&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=thepointsguy&tw=1&utm_medium=social

20200618_083837.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

3 days after the CDC meeting, Disney cruise lines announced they will start limited cruises to the  Bahamas.  This is a soft opening.  Why did they do that?  We know that a magic button will not happen, and that at some point, a ship will sail in the near future.  The disease is not going away, but being managed.  Some of the islands are now opening, including Bahamas.  We are now 38 days away from the no sail order to end.  Stop speculating, the "spikes" are not really a spike, and is expected.  I go out everyday, without a mask.  I give hugs, handshakes.  It's time to stop the media frenzy, and realize that you can go out, and do things.  It is your personal choice to go or not to go, but the business will start up soon.  Most likely in the very near future.

Their's almost 3k new cases in FL every day, w/500% increase in pneumonia deaths! Yeah there ain't no spikes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Justmekaren918 said:

so thanks for all the money not returned to you!

That's been obvious for the past 3 months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

3 days after the CDC meeting, Disney cruise lines announced they will start limited cruises to the  Bahamas.  This is a soft opening.  Why did they do that?  We know that a magic button will not happen, and that at some point, a ship will sail in the near future.  The disease is not going away, but being managed.  Some of the islands are now opening, including Bahamas.  We are now 38 days away from the no sail order to end.  Stop speculating, the "spikes" are not really a spike, and is expected.  I go out everyday, without a mask.  I give hugs, handshakes.  It's time to stop the media frenzy, and realize that you can go out, and do things.  It is your personal choice to go or not to go, but the business will start up soon.  Most likely in the very near future.

Now that's funny!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the same article the cruise investors said....

 

“It would seem that the cruise industry, its passengers and employees have been viewed by the CDC in the same vein as meat packing plants, nursing homes and prisons,” Curtis wrote. “In our view, there is something unjust about such unilateral treatment.”

 

Cruise lines have a density issue and it doesn’t appear to me that they want to deal with it. Seems they just want to discuss and debate with the CDC. The CDC set forth standards in their no sail order but it seems to me the Cruise lines are trying to wiggle around it. 


Also, what they would do in event of another infection onboard. Medical Staff and facilities, Quarantine. I don’t believe the CDC wants cruise ships to drop off infected people at any US Ports and what Ports would accept them? The CDC set standards. Heck the cruise lines can’t even get crew back to their homes. How would they deal with an outbreak onboard?
 

In my opinion 

 

M8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand alot of people from up North read the CNN reports on the "spikes" in Florida.  Florida is a big area, and the testing is now on steroids in our state.  The more you test, the higher the number.  Does not mean it's a spike, it means that more were tested, and a  better number is coming out of it.  I live here, and I go out everyday in public, eating, socializing, and traveling.  The spike is a news report, but does not dig deeper into why and how it happens.  There is much activity in Florida, some of which is getting ready to start back up the cruise ships.  For those that worry about an epidemic on the ship...the 3 day cruise will have everyone home before it is noticed. So much news reporting, and we all know most of it is inaccurate and very polarized based on which company is reporting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I understand alot of people from up North read the CNN reports on the "spikes" in Florida.  Florida is a big area, and the testing is now on steroids in our state.  The more you test, the higher the number.  Does not mean it's a spike, it means that more were tested, and a  better number is coming out of it.  I live here, and I go out everyday in public, eating, socializing, and traveling.  The spike is a news report, but does not dig deeper into why and how it happens.  There is much activity in Florida, some of which is getting ready to start back up the cruise ships.  For those that worry about an epidemic on the ship...the 3 day cruise will have everyone home before it is noticed. So much news reporting, and we all know most of it is inaccurate and very polarized based on which company is reporting. 

Then how does that explain states like New York, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and others that have been testing more but are seeing fewer cases?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

 I go out everyday, without a mask. 

As long as people show that they are not willing to follow current CDC guidelines to help stop the spread on land, how do we expect the CDC to start trusting the same people to all of a sudden start following CDC guidelines in a tighter environment like a cruise ship? Sailing not going to happen until people and companies start showing compliance with the current CDC guidelines and hospitalizations and deaths continue to spike.

 

*Just my opinion. I am not a CDC employee nor do I play one on TV.

Edited by cured

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

  For those that worry about an epidemic on the ship...the 3 day cruise will have everyone home before it is noticed. 


Such a cavalier attitude.   No thought or concern for the crew remaining onboard?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Then how does that explain states like New York, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and others that have been testing more but are seeing fewer cases?

 

Because you are testing people with little chance of exposure to inflate the number of people tested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

For those that worry about an epidemic on the ship...the 3 day cruise will have everyone home before it is noticed.

I would love to turn back the clock. What you stated above “could be” part of the issue as well as density. CDC doesn’t want the cruise ships to disembark infected people not to mention the possible spread to the crew. 
 

We have a great restaurant in Port Orange. It had just recently reopened to 50% capacity. They had an employee test positive and the owner shut it back down until he can sanitize and get all his employees tested. Many of the bars that were opened have now turned out to be locations found to have spread CV19. They shut themselves down. They were not following the guidelines and have shut down until they can figure out how to deal with CV19. Most all these people are Asymptomatic. The study I saw was like 20-35yo. 
 

M8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

 

Because you are testing people with little chance of exposure to inflate the number of people tested.

So you are saying that states are selectively choosing who to test so that they can manipulate the numbers? Why wouldn't Florida then only test people with little chance of exposure?

Edited by time4u2go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I would love to turn back the clock. What you stated above “could be” part of the issue as well as density. CDC doesn’t want the cruise ships to disembark infected people not to mention the possible spread to the crew. 
 

We have a great restaurant in Port Orange. It had just recently reopened to 50% capacity. They had an employee test positive and the owner shut it back down until he can sanitize and get all his employees tested. Many of the bars that were opened have now turned out to be locations found to have spread CV19. They shut themselves down. They were not following the guidelines and have shut down until they can figure out how to deal with CV19. Most all these people are Asymptomatic. The study I saw was like 20-35yo. 
 

M8

Lost Lagoon here in NSB just had an employee diagnosed as well and it shut down.  Surprised that one has not been in the news-  We were there last week.  All employees in masks and they even had plexiglass barriers on the bar

Edited by molly361

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

So you are saying that states are selectively choosing who to test so that they can manipulate the numbers? Why wouldn't Florida then only test people with little chance of exposure?

 

Because the Florida governor isn't dumb.   Many of the states that were listed are now testing the general population.  That doesn't really mean anything because you could get infected 5 minutes after the test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...