Jump to content

Carnival Corp to retire 6 ships in next 90 days


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, simplelife said:

I personally love the smaller ports and smaller ships. As the article says, there is still high demand for the smaller ships.

 

I think Carnival is testing the waters to see if there is any interest in anyone buying their ships. I imagine if someone offered them good money for any of their ships they would take it this point but I am afraid the cruise ship market is overbuilt and there is not any market for ships so some ships will have to be docked. Carnival will have to decide which ships will bring in the most money for the least coat. It maybe some of the Fantasy class ships can still produce a good income for less cost. Personally, I have sailed on the Fantasy many times and really enjoy it. So I hope Carnival does keep some of them at the smaller home ports. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kona wahine, I agree with you about the itinerary and the ports.  I have never (I have cruised for over 25 years) been on a cruise where there were 6 ports, and 1 sea day.  I do like the ship, but the main reason I wanted to do this itinerary was to take my 3 sons/3 d-i-l's to St. Lucia, where I fell in love with this port!

Link to post
Share on other sites

hate to throw some common sense in this one, BUT....certain ports can only house the Fantasy size ships..  if Carnival sells those then it would mean that the contracts with those ports would be cancelled, which cant/isnt gonna transpire soon.  If those ports such as Mobile are to be used then the ship housed there wont go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, soapbxking said:

hate to throw some common sense in this one, BUT....certain ports can only house the Fantasy size ships..  if Carnival sells those then it would mean that the contracts with those ports would be cancelled, which cant/isnt gonna transpire soon.  If those ports such as Mobile are to be used then the ship housed there wont go.

This is true, but they could easily sell 4 without even thinking about it.  Look at the current home  ports (that are not affected by bridges to get an idea.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2020 at 1:26 PM, beshears said:

Kona wahine, I agree with you about the itinerary and the ports.  I have never (I have cruised for over 25 years) been on a cruise where there were 6 ports, and 1 sea day.  I do like the ship, but the main reason I wanted to do this itinerary was to take my 3 sons/3 d-i-l's to St. Lucia, where I fell in love with this port!

I have been on several with only one sea day (greater than 4 day cruises). I get the point about the itinerary being king, that said, we love coming back, showering and changing and enjoying a glass of something on our balcony.  To give another thought, we have been on many Caribbean cruises where we stay on the ship (we have been to Cozumel 13 times on a cruise ship)   
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

This is true, but they could easily sell 4 without even thinking about it.  Look at the current home  ports (that are not affected by bridges to get an idea.  

That is true Jimbo :-)  but they wont.  those ships still sail full.  I see 2 tops going at this time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, xDisconnections said:

Technically, tables for two.

Oh, duh, I thought they were referencing some type of ship that they saw "going" as in being sold.  Misunderstood that one!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, mbglib said:

Oh, duh, I thought they were referencing some type of ship that they saw "going" as in being sold.  Misunderstood that one!

I think the previous poster meant it as ‘two at the most.’

 

Pretty much the entire Carnival Cruise Line fleet is up for sale at this point but it doesn’t mean anyone will buy. They’ve been trying to get rid of the Carnival Fantasy for years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Many-older-cruise-ships-may-not-survive-the-pandemic


Peter Shaerf, managing director of AMA Capital Partners, an investment banking firm focused on the maritime sector:


       “I think you’ll see 30 ships scrapped over the next year, year and a half. And that won’t make a dent. There are these old ships that, as business slowly comes back, are just not going to be the vehicle of choice.”

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Peter Knego agrees with me on ships likely to be scrapped as quoted from - https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Many-older-cruise-ships-may-not-survive-the-pandemic

He mentions Costa NeoRomantica (1993), HAL Maasdam (1993) and Veendam (1996), Princess Cruises’ Sea Princess (1998) and Fantasy class as being in danger.

I am still 100% convinced Victory/Radiance is not going to make it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:


Peter Shaerf, managing director of AMA Capital Partners, an investment banking firm focused on the maritime sector:


       “I think you’ll see 30 ships scrapped over the next year, year and a half. And that won’t make a dent. There are these old ships that, as business slowly comes back, are just not going to be the vehicle of choice.”

 

 

That's across the cruise industry, not just Carnival Corp. Pullmantur is gone and likely some other smaller lines will go bankrupt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Many-older-cruise-ships-may-not-survive-the-pandemic


Peter Shaerf, managing director of AMA Capital Partners, an investment banking firm focused on the maritime sector:


       “I think you’ll see 30 ships scrapped over the next year, year and a half. And that won’t make a dent. There are these old ships that, as business slowly comes back, are just not going to be the vehicle of choice.”

 

 

Wow, 30 ships won't make a dent...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team: New Ship Ultramarine
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...