Jump to content

Carnival Corp to retire 6 ships in next 90 days


Recommended Posts

On 7/14/2020 at 3:56 PM, CruiseAdict218 said:

Fascination is bond for Malta so that will be interesting. 
Where did you see Imagination was sold, she’s still holding on the other side of the canal, so if she was sold she’s be sailing towards Inspiration in Curaçao by now. 
Ecstasy is sailing around Africa but I don’t believe was sold. 
Inspiration is either being stripped or is taking on whatever was taken off Fantasy so we shall see soon 
But you didn’t name Fantasy who is actually sailing towards Turkey? 
Also curious about neoRomantica. 
 

 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23246-four-holland-america-line-ships-sold.html

Link to post
Share on other sites

Counting the Ryndam (due to be completed next year), that is a 19% decrease in capacity at for Holland America (5,312 of 28,088 lower berths).

 

Even if Carnival Cruise Line parts winds up parting with 3 Fantasy class ships, it will only be around a 7.7% reduction in capacity with Mardi Gras coming online. Even then that gap will be mostly closed up in late 2022 (probably early 2023 now) with the second XL ship.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How many fantasy class ships make up an  XL ship?? Seems to me prob 2+ 

Maybe now they name the next ship Fantasy ( it’s prob was going to be an older retired ship name anyways) and have all the other names of the ship as themes or restaurant names. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

How many fantasy class ships make up an  XL ship?? Seems to me prob 2+ 

Maybe now they name the next ship Fantasy ( it’s prob was going to be an older retired ship name anyways) and have all the other names of the ship as themes or restaurant names. 

They need to re-use Carnivale, Festivale, and Tropicale; Jubilee, Holiday and Celebration before they get to Fantasy...  EM

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

How many fantasy class ships make up an  XL ship?? Seems to me prob 2+ 

Maybe now they name the next ship Fantasy ( it’s prob was going to be an older retired ship name anyways) and have all the other names of the ship as themes or restaurant names. 

That is soooo funny!! I can just imagine a Carnival cruise ship called "Guys Burgers"! :classic_laugh:🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stick93 said:

Wikipedia has fantasy and inspiration out of service in their bios. That means as much as JH posts that nothing is happening. But clearly something is happening! 

 

As was demonstrated the other day, anyone can edit Wikipedia. JH posted he couldn't comment, yes, no, or maybe, and that would include saying nothing is happening.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

They need to re-use Carnivale, Festivale, and Tropicale; Jubilee, Holiday and Celebration before they get to Fantasy...  EM

I was thinking they would use Carnivale - but the fantasy ships were their biggest investment in 8 ships and prob gave them the most growth early. The Destiney took them to today but those ships made then the largest at the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated list
Previously sold
Costa neoClassica sold to Bahamas Paradise
Costa neoRiviera sold to AIDA (group Co.)
Costa Atlantica - sold to Carnival-China JV
Costa Mediterranea - sold to Carnival-China JV
P&O Aus Pacific Aria - sold to CMV, early departure
P&O Aus Pacific Dawn-sold to CMV, early departure

Confirmed
Costa Victoria - sold for scrap
P&O Oceana - sold to Greek buyers
HAL Maasdam
HAL Veendam
HAL Rotterdam sold to Fred Olsen
HAL Amsterdam sold to Fred Olsen

Very Likely
Carnival Fascination - sold for scrap
Carnival Inspiration - sold for scrap
Carnival Elation - sold for scrap
Carnival Imagination - sold for scrap
Carnival Ecstasy - sold for scrap
Carnival Fantasy- sold for scrap
Costa neoRomantica - sold to Carnival-China JV

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I first started this thread/conversation, it was only six ships across the corporation.  Times change quickly and now the number is 13.  We have seen HAL announce 4 ships leaving the fleet.  I think I saw 2 from princess leaving 7 ships from Carnival and the rest of the fleet.  I saw the Fantasy was going to scrap, that leaves 6 left and I have not included the P&O and Costa brands.

 

Most people are assuming the the Fantasy class ships will go.  If that is Carnival's direction, look to the Imagination , Ectasy and Elation as candidates for retirement not so much for age but also they are due to be refurbished and Carnival needs to save cash. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It does make you wonder if Carnival will really abandon the markets that are limited by ship size.  Do any of the other lines under the Carnival umbrella have comparably sized ships that are newer and may be rebadged, or homeported at those locations?

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DryCreek said:

It does make you wonder if Carnival will really abandon the markets that are limited by ship size.  Do any of the other lines under the Carnival umbrella have comparably sized ships that are newer and may be rebadged, or homeported at those locations?

Good point D.C.! That has not been brought up, until you did. A workable solution, I would think.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DryCreek said:

It does make you wonder if Carnival will really abandon the markets that are limited by ship size.  Do any of the other lines under the Carnival umbrella have comparably sized ships that are newer and may be rebadged, or homeported at those locations?

Why does Carnival have to adapt to accommodate those markets? They can just as easily adapt on their own to accommodate Carnival. For example, if Jacksonville wants Carnival’s business, why can’t they move their terminal to the other side of the bridge?

 

To answer the question though, Island/Coral Princess are pretty small and many seem to hate Island after its refurb. It could be shuffled but it doesn’t match the onboard decor you’ll typically find on Carnival. I couldn’t name any other ships off hand from other cruise lines within CCL Corp.

Edited by xDisconnections
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Good point D.C.! That has not been brought up, until you did. A workable solution, I would think.

 

I don't think Carnival will want to spend any more than they need to on capital expenditures over the next few years, so doubt they would refurbish any smaller ships from their sister lines to the Carnival brand. The Fantasy class has more ships than any other class so I'm sure they will keep at least a few around for the smaller markets and booze cruises.

Edited by cksv
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

 

 

If you're going by the website then Carnival Fantasy will also be sailing through January 2022 but I'm pretty sure that's not happening! Not saying Elation won't be around but using future cruises on the page is about as accurate as throwing darts in the dark.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, embarkation75 said:

 

If you're going by the website then Carnival Fantasy will also be sailing through January 2022 but I'm pretty sure that's not happening! Not saying Elation won't be around but using future cruises on the page is about as accurate as throwing darts in the dark.

 

Going by what a Carnival PVP posted on her FB page earlier today, so apparently new cruises just released. Other ships, too, including Pride, Sunshine, Liberty, more.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

 

Going by what a Carnival PVP posted on her FB page earlier today, so apparently new cruises just released. Other ships, too, including Pride, Sunshine, Liberty, more.

 

 

That still doesn't mean anything about the status of Elation as those itineraries can easily end up being switched to another ship or cancelled (e.g. see Fantasy cruises out of Mobile). Again, I have no insider info on Elation but these new cruise dates don't mean much as I've had the ship switched several times before embarkation when booking well ahead of time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The juggling act for Carnival (Corporation) is preserving their own cash position. It becomes a little less precarious in August as Europe starts slowly coming back online.

 

A ship coming due for drydock is a liability in that could be several million dollars that Carnival can't afford to spend right now. Of course if the shipyard is unable to do the work, that presents a different problem. For the Fantasy class drydocks:

 

Elation - just completed March 2020, next between March 2022 and March 2023

Paradise - next one is scheduled to begin February 27, 2021. This will be difficult to delay since the last one was completed in February/March 2018, which is pushing the 36-month threshold. This could be an issue before too long.

Imagination - last one completed November 2, 2019, next one due between November 2021 and November 2022. The lack of balcony cabins may be a greater issue here.

Fascination - last one completed February 2018, next scheduled for November 2020. Carnival does have some slack here, but it may be easier to sell the ship if a buyer can be found soon, even if it's for scrap.

Sensation - last one completed January 2020, next one between January 2022 and January 2023.

Ecstasy- last completed October 2019, due between October 2021 and October 2022. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tidecat said:

The juggling act for Carnival (Corporation) is preserving their own cash position. It becomes a little less precarious in August as Europe starts slowly coming back online.

 

A ship coming due for drydock is a liability in that could be several million dollars that Carnival can't afford to spend right now. Of course if the shipyard is unable to do the work, that presents a different problem. For the Fantasy class drydocks:

 

Elation - just completed March 2020, next between March 2022 and March 2023

Paradise - next one is scheduled to begin February 27, 2021. This will be difficult to delay since the last one was completed in February/March 2018, which is pushing the 36-month threshold. This could be an issue before too long.

Imagination - last one completed November 2, 2019, next one due between November 2021 and November 2022. The lack of balcony cabins may be a greater issue here.

Fascination - last one completed February 2018, next scheduled for November 2020. Carnival does have some slack here, but it may be easier to sell the ship if a buyer can be found soon, even if it's for scrap.

Sensation - last one completed January 2020, next one between January 2022 and January 2023.

Ecstasy- last completed October 2019, due between October 2021 and October 2022. 

 

 

Elation and Paradise have azipods and Carnival has billions in loan guarantees specifically for new ships and transformations/maintenance of existing ships.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...