Carnival Corp to retire 6 ships in next 90 days

3 hours ago, poz222 said:

The Ecstasy and Fascination being deployed to India and not having been upgraded I would put my money on saying bye bye to those two. 

DH and I are booked on Fascination 1/24/2021 out of Puerto Rico. We booked 16 months ago. It's an awesome itinerary. If they get rid of this ship, what are the chances they put something else in it's place? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UPNYGuy said:

6000 pax ship logic doesn’t apply though. I can go into The Haven on a NCL ship or Yacht Club on MSC and get luxury level service on a mega ship.  

Not at a $1000/pop

thank you for proving my point on the price points of small ships. They are buying older smaller ships and have to operate them at high price points to turn a profit they see fit. You can fill a 6000 pax ship at $1000 a pop. You can’t do that on a 600 pax ship. 

Carnival's older ships are paid for. The per diem for short cruises is greater than longer cruises on the same ship. You can fill a 6000 passenger ship at $0 a pop, but you can't pay the note on it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RumpunchGirl said:

DH and I are booked on Fascination 1/24/2021 out of Puerto Rico. We booked 16 months ago. It's an awesome itinerary. If they get rid of this ship, what are the chances they put something else in it's place? 

We are also booked on this cruise. I do not think the Fascination will be sold. It’s scheduled out for awhile, even into 2022ish in Mobile. 

I think everyone here missing a vital issue of PR.

From a PR Standpoint, I would want to distance my brands from some negative fallout that may have occurred due to the COVID-19 outbreaks. The high profile outbreaks that occurred aboard Carnival owned ships happened on 3 Princess cruise ships: the Grand Princess, the Diamond Princess, and the Ruby Princess. If I were looking at trying to salvage my brand image, I would want to either shed those ships or move them to another line within the company and rename them. Maybe even a re-branding of Princess altogether?

From a financial standpoint, much of the news I have been reading is that these shorter cruises from various ports are the ones that Carnival (and other lines) are going to want specifically because people can drive to the ports and they are shorter cruises.

I don't expect them to completely ax the Fantasy class. Perhaps Fantasy herself, and maybe Ecstasy and Fascination. These shorter cruises on smaller Fantasy class ships do serve a purpose: a great short cruise for first time cruisers and quick getaways.

4 hours ago, RumpunchGirl said:

Yep we flew the pond to Barbados to do this cruise, a stay in Barbados first and then joined Fascination for her last cruise before  she was stopped from docking in San juan and recalled to Miami, found her the right size for the Caribbean and would gladly sail on her again, and buy the way Carnival are adding four new ports of call from May 2021 if she is still around.

TORTOLA

DOMINICA

GRENADA

ANTIGUA

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Joebucks said:

They own over 100 ships. My guess is the oldest and/or lowest demand are on the chopping block.

I can't imagine anyone wants ships at this time. Especially older and less exciting ones.

Here's the latest breakdown I've found per brand:

• Carnival Cruise Line - 27
  • Princess - 18
  • Holland America - 14
  • Costa - 14
  • AIDA - 14
  • P&O UK - 6
  • Seabourn - 5
  • P&O Australia - 3
  • Cunard - 3
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

We are also booked on this cruise. I do not think the Fascination will be sold. It’s scheduled out for awhile, even into 2022ish in Mobile. 

All schedules are tentative and subject to change. Until the ship sets sail, there’s no guarantee.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

All schedules are tentative and subject to change. Until the ship sets sail, there’s no guarantee.

If there is one thing that the many should have learned during these horrific times is just what you said.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, CorbinCatFan said:

Most of the Fantasy class ships have been up for sale for sometime.  I was expecting the Fantasy not to be around much longer and booked a November cruise on her.  My first cruise was on her and I've cruised three times on her and was hoping for one more before she left CCL.

I really think that the November cruise will be cancelled.  I hope they announce before I make my final payment.

(from facebook)

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/cruise-ship-2052-2632--stock-no-s2158-3024019/

dont know which 1998 built carnival ship this is but listed for sale $250M

Edited by fstuff1

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

(from facebook)

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998/cruise-ship-2052-2632--stock-no-s2158-3024019/

dont know which 1998 built carnival ship this is but listed for sale $250M

Looks like it could be the Elation.  It was built in 1998 with a capacity of 2052 passengers.

The Paradise was built in 1998 as well but the capacity is only 2040 passengers.

Some of these ships are 30 years old, or close to it.  I think a couple of them were set to be laid up or sold anyway.  They must cost a fortune to maintain.  

That said, I know a lot of us have special place in our hearts for the smaller ships.  One of the best cruises I have had was back on the Imagination, and it could be one of the ships they are looking at.  Ironically, these bigger ships they have now will not be able to sail at full capacity for a while anyway.  

49 minutes ago, GSfromCT said:

What about Virgin buying a few to expand their foot-print?  A cruise line starting up with two new cruise ships, isn't really a cruise line.

They don't have the money to buy anything right now. All of Virgin's brands are hunting he has already has to mortgage his private island just to keep his brands afloat.  If this goes on much longer, I virgin cruises to go under.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I believe Carnival is looking far beyond our current short term horizon. There could be a long term consolidation of the industry as some these cruise lines are forced to find future funding. Long term, CCL and NCL could merge after a big reduction in ships.  CCL may need to reduce it's footprint (embarkation ports) to survive over the next few years. NCL may not have that option and to file bankruptcy or sell off its ships to CCL or RCL. This is similar to the consolidation that the US banking industry faced. This is just an opinion and has no more merit than anyone elses.

• Like 3

On 6/18/2020 at 9:57 AM, ninjacat123 said:

My cruise on Ecstasy on Sept 3, 2020 is still on in my Cruise Manager.  I wonder if Carnival will switch out to another ship or just cancel?  And my final payment is June 20.  Here we go....

Just read today that all cruise lines will NOT be cruising out of any U.S. ports until Sep15th.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mrhartert said:

I think everyone here missing a vital issue of PR.

From a PR Standpoint, I would want to distance my brands from some negative fallout that may have occurred due to the COVID-19 outbreaks. The high profile outbreaks that occurred aboard Carnival owned ships happened on 3 Princess cruise ships: the Grand Princess, the Diamond Princess, and the Ruby Princess. If I were looking at trying to salvage my brand image, I would want to either shed those ships or move them to another line within the company and rename them. Maybe even a re-branding of Princess altogether?

You are forgetting HAL Zaandam, also from the Carnival family of lines, which needed a special dispensation to go through the Panama Canal...  EM

I was about to pull the trigger and pay Carnival and Princess deposits on Cruises for April and May 2021, but now I am not sure.

I was expecting that by April 2021, the virus would be under control, but I am not sure about them going bankrupt and their future Cruises been cancelled.
And the risk of them defaulting on refunds of deposits

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HappyCamper49 said:

My husband and I took our first cruise ever on the Carnival Sensation in Dec. 2009.  It was a NIGHTMARE.  The ship was full of nothing but drunks, parents turned their pre-teen kids loose and they somehow had gotten alcoholic drinks and were tying up the one elevator that worked.  The entire ship reeked of raw sewage.  The bathroom in our cabin had to be worked on for two hours before we could stay in our room without gagging.  The food was gross and nasty.  This cruise turned us against even thinking about cruising, let alone actually taking another one for 9 years.  We swore no more Carnival.  

And yet here you are posting on a  Carnival thread with an off topic post

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I read through this thread last night, and woke up thinking about the many different theories shared.  I do hope that cruising returns, and that my family will be on a ship at some point in summer 2021, but I hesitate to book anything right now.  For us, the hesitation is the “not knowing” which ships will be where and what itineraries might be an option.  

We live within easy driving distance of the ports of New Orleans and Mobile, but we are willing to drive to the ports of Galveston or Tampa if it’s worth it.  We rule out Mobile EVERY single time, because we are not interested in the Fantasy.  (She was my first cruise experience back in the early ‘90s, and I prefer to leave those mental images intact.  Besides, one of our adult kids went on Fantasy with friends and was not impressed.). If Fantasy is retired, what happens to Mobile as a cruise port?  Are there any non-Fantasy class ships that are small enough for that particular port?  

To me, and I realize that my opinion is very skewed, New Orleans is a great port city.   I wish CCL would change their ships more often in NOLA, and I wish that RCCL and NCL would provide more sailing choices from there.  Will there be some serious ship shuffling, after all of this COVID mess plays out?    

Then there’s Galveston, which currently lists some Radiance sailings for summer 2021.  Let’s be honest, Radiance won’t be ready for sailings by then.  So does CCL move another ship there?  Or do they just remove that sailing entirely?

COVID canceled our 42-member multigenerational family cruise.  Although some of those people may never agree to cruise again, the majority of us are ready to try again next summer.  We aren’t even looking for “a bargain” (although, of course, that would be nice), but a ship and itinerary that matches up with the dates we have in mind.  Keeping my fingers crossed that the cruise lines can determine their future plans, soon.

Almost forgot . . . There are WAY too many cruise brands.  Whoever posted that they imagine some consolidation happening is correct.  There’s just too much duplication of high dollar salary positions.

33 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

If Fantasy is retired, what happens to Mobile as a cruise port?  Are there any non-Fantasy class ships that are small enough for that particular port?  

The Fantasy is scheduled to be replaced by the Fascination in January 2022.  If the Fantasy is sold before then, Carnival could leave Mobile temporarily or they could replace it with another Fantasy or Spirit class ship.  I actually think Mobile and its dock can handle bigger ships; it's just a matter of whether the terminal can handle all the people (I haven't been to Mobile).

The issues in Mobile are the length of the turning basin and the parking. Fantasy barely had enough room to turn around and the parking deck was full when I sailed. There is a project already underway to lengthen the turning basin, and more parking can always be built later for a larger ship. My guess is the Fantasy will be replaced sooner than originally planned with another Fantasy Class ship retrofitted with balconies currently sailing from a port in Florida where Carnival has more ships than needed for some time.

• Like 1