Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
howiefrommd

Cruising during and post COVID-19

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

 

Based on what is currently in place in our state, we can have 5 people together as a "group".  

 

Good thing none of the cruises will be leaving from Washington State!  😀  We will be leaving from Florida with a much higher allowance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

None of us know the protocols..... everyone is just guessing. When the ships are ready to sail, we will be informed. 
Let’s wait and see....

sheila

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

 

Good thing none of the cruises will be leaving from Washington State!  😀  We will be leaving from Florida with a much higher allowance.  

 

Isn't Florida one of the states that have more cases now that in the past?  In any case, Frank Del Rio said that we will follow the same protocols that are followed on land.  Since NCLH is in Florida, you're likely correct.

 

Sheila - I agree with you but also believe that the "minimum" protocol on the ship will be the same as we have at home (and you live in Florida - so, what is the "group" limit there?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

None of us know the protocols..... everyone is just guessing. When the ships are ready to sail, we will be informed. 
Let’s wait and see....

sheila

 

Regent has published "initial" protocols on their website.  I don't know why we are discussing Costa protocols instead of Regent protocols.

 

Marc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like MLB just shut down training camps in Florida and Arizona, among other gloomy news out of Florida.  Other major sports that were hoping to reopen using Florida also may have  issues.  I'm keeping an eye on Disney as well, even with their robust reopening plans.  Gotta think CDC/local ports/CLIA are all looking hard again at Florida in general.

 

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/503728-mlb-to-close-spring-training-facilities-in-arizona-florida-amid

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/columnist/jeff-zillgitt/2020/06/19/coronavirus-florida-covid-19-cases-rising-nba-return/3225237001/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mrlevin said:

 

Regent has published "initial" protocols on their website.  I don't know why we are discussing Costa protocols instead of Regent protocols.

 

Marc

Marc

I was not referring to Costa.
I agree.. Regent has set some initial protocols, however it will be up to the CDC to set final rules, which may match some and not others. Regent’s protocols were probably their Preliminary submissions.
It really doesn’t pay to play guessing games.. those of us who want to sail, will probably do so under whatever the rules are. 
Someone mentioned in a previous post that those of us, up in years, want to enjoy cruising before it is too late. No one should criticize or challenge anyone’s decision, when or whether or not to cruise. 
sheila

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, greykitty said:

Looks like MLB just shut down training camps in Florida and Arizona, among other gloomy news out of Florida.  Other major sports that were hoping to reopen using Florida also may have  issues.  I'm keeping an eye on Disney as well, even with their robust reopening plans.  Gotta think CDC/local ports/CLIA are all looking hard again at Florida in general.

 

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/503728-mlb-to-close-spring-training-facilities-in-arizona-florida-amid

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/columnist/jeff-zillgitt/2020/06/19/coronavirus-florida-covid-19-cases-rising-nba-return/3225237001/

 

Greykitty....

I can not get an answer to my question. How many new hospitalizations were there in Florida this week? That’s the key. 
Our community of 1100 homes were tested two weeks ago. We had residents Antibody tests show they had covid at some point of time. Many people did not even know the had covid in the past No one’s swab test for active covid showed Positive.
These antibody numbers then become  registered as new cases. We are not the only large community that has had widespread testing. Heavy testing is going on in Florida. 
Numbers of new hospitalizations are the important count. 
sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheila, did I read your post correctly that if you have a positive antibody test they are calling that a confirmed case?  There are a lot of other coronaviruses that will return positive antibody test including NON-SARS-COV-2 CORONAVIRUS STRAINS, SUCH AS CORONAVIRUS HKU1, NL63, OC43 OR 229E.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This gives a little info, although normally a state would have more exact information.  I understand there's some controversy in Florida regarding counts, though.  Hopefully they sorted that out.  

 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/florida-covid-19-cases-rise-by-4-049-the-most-during-pandemic/ar-BB15KUAG

 

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/06/20/florida-logs-another-4000-plus-day-as-state-approaches-94000-coronavirus-infections/

 

https://www.wesh.com/article/florida-coroavirus-cases-new-daily-record/32922642#

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can tell you that in Florida there are a lot of TV commercials from hospitals telling everyone to come in if they need help with things other than Covid and how safe it is to go there.  I'm thinking they need the money due to empty beds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

I can tell you that in Florida there are a lot of TV commercials from hospitals telling everyone to come in if they need help with things other than Covid and how safe it is to go there.  I'm thinking they need the money due to empty beds.

You are correct. 
I just read an article regarding one of our local hospitals. ICU beds are available. However, some still have elderly patients who, although clinically fine, can not be sent back to nursing homes, under state order,  because their tests are still running positive. 
Also, additionally many hospitals opened several weeks ago for regular surgeries etc. That also takes bed space. 
There seems to be an increase in new covid cases here. But, it’s not as bad as it sounds. They still recommend elderly folks or those with compromised conditions must remain very cautious. 
sheila

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2020 at 4:04 PM, mrlevin said:

Sheila, did I read your post correctly that if you have a positive antibody test they are calling that a confirmed case?  There are a lot of other coronaviruses that will return positive antibody test including NON-SARS-COV-2 CORONAVIRUS STRAINS, SUCH AS CORONAVIRUS HKU1, NL63, OC43 OR 229E.

Its happening in Pennsylvania, and apparently in other states as well. The way these COVID figures are being manipulated is outrageous

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not think highly of the CDC but they are not the ones reporting hospitalizations due to Covid-19.  There are several states that, once again, have hospitals filling to capacity.  The virus is not gone and will continue to spread as long as we have people that do not believe it exists and/or do not believe that the cases are rising.  

 

Wear masks - social distance and we will at least slow the progression.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I do not think highly of the CDC but they are not the ones reporting hospitalizations due to Covid-19.  There are several states that, once again, have hospitals filling to capacity.  The virus is not gone and will continue to spread as long as we have people that do not believe it exists and/or do not believe that the cases are rising.  

 

Wear masks - social distance and we will at least slow the progression.  

I agree, but this is not how I expected to live the rest of my life.  We are careful and we do wear masks.  However, on reading boards, we are quite distressed with the rules about cruising (protocols).  This is not good for us.  We can't drive everywhere because sometimes there are no places open or restrooms.  There is not a good place.  Our son FINALLY got home from Washington State, but he has to go back there to emergency management as he said in Yakima and around there the virus is not under control.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only a vaccine and better treatments for those who have serious side effects from COVID-19 will allow things to go "back" to whatever the new normal will be. We can't keep the economy shut down and we certainly can't keep hoards of people from ignoring the basic guidelines for keeping us safe. The focus is to keep the most vulnerable isolated as much as possible, and that translates into older people, many who have chronic conditions. Unfortunately, that represents many Regent customers including myself. So us older folks need to take more precautions and it is frustrating not to be able to go out and do what we have always done. Some will take the risk and others won't. It's not the way I expected to live in retirement but I will do my part to keep myself and others safe (including not cruising) because I don't think this will be a long term problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...