CCL Selling Some Ships

dreaminofcruisin

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We sailed the Ocean Princess, a wonderful British Isles cruise. I really loved the small ship experience and getting to know fellow passengers and even crew members.

Which Ocean Princess ship - the Sun Class ship or the former R ship?

1 minute ago, Coral said:

1 minute ago, Coral said:

The small one, if I'm not mistaken that is the R ship. It was the one that's the equivalent to the Pacific Princess that is still a part of the Princess fleet.

Just now, ontheweb said:

The small one, if I'm not mistaken that is the R ship. It was the one that's the equivalent to the Pacific Princess that is still a part of the Princess fleet.

Yes - the R ship.

15 hours ago, Porky55 said:

And yet Sea Princess does a World Cruise every year full to the brim with happy passengers.
Whilst ever a ship proves seaworthy and profitable why would it be sold - just because it is over 25? On another forum they talk of ships built to last 40 years - so Sea and Sun are just young adults 😉
Also, consider this, IF Sea, Sun, Sapphire and Pacific Princess ARE sold - then we in the Southern Hemisphere will just need more of your Northern Hemisphere favourites 🤔😆🇦🇺

Maintenance costs go up considerably as they age, especially once they cross 30.  More dry docks, more in depth tests and   maintenance.

Different ships have done the world cruise and has they retire the current one, they will pick the next one.

After Covid Princess will probably have some of the newer ships to send down out of their probably smaller fleet.

Unfortunately the older smaller ships are going to be the ones first in line to go from the mass market lines.

Edited by npcl

12 hours ago, skynight said:

... The Sea was also transferred to P&O where some modifications were made. After a few years there it returned to Princess which I think was for the 2005/06 winter season. In 2006 we sailed a 14 day Caribbean itinerary with embarkation/disembarkation in both Ft. Lauderdale and Barbados. The embarkation/disembarkation option in Barbados was appreciated by Princess' UK customers. I think this was the only season this itinerary was offered...

We were on one of Sea Princess's 14-day circle Caribbean cruises out of Barbados in February 2008.

John

We sailed our first Princess cruise on the Dawn, it's inaugural season in the fall of 97 and the Sun in 98 and 2002.  Love that class of ship, along with the current Grand.  I agree the Fantasy Class needs to good from CCL and some older HAL and P&O (both) tonnage but hope the Sun Class; Grand stay around.  I know the Crown Class will stay as well as the Caribbean (not a huge fan of either, just too crowded) and the newer Royal ships (love em except for the spa / gym / sauna layout).  So I see Princess as: Sun, Dawn Sea, Grand, Caribbean, Crown, Ruby, Emerald, Diamond (maybe a new name?), Sapphire,  Royal, Regal, Majestic, Enchanted, Sky and Discovery (which I hope they rename, stupid name).  Spread out between AUS/NZ; SE Asia - Pacific;  West Coast/Alaska;  Caribbean; Europe/NE/ Caribbean.  I think more ships will be closer to homeports in the US and Austraila where Princess has a big following. Less in Europe and Asia over the next few years.  

Your list says Dawn and I thought Dawn went to P & O?  Cruisers seem to like the smaller Pacific, I would think this ship keeps sailing.  I would think the Star would stay over the Grand, based on age alone, not a fan of the Grand or Golden for that matter.

12 hours ago, susancruzs said:

I would think the Star would stay over the Grand, based on age alone, not a fan of the Grand or Golden for that matter.

Prior to the current Covid related shutdown it had been announced Golden was leaving the Princess fleet at the end of the 2020 Alaska season and the Star would follow her and leave the fleet in fall 2021. Both ships are being transferred to P&O Australia. 

On 7/5/2020 at 1:58 PM, rkacruiser said:

"Near turning a profit"?  How about booked and confirmed revenue!

Unfortunately it isn't about turning a profit or being fully booked, it's about turning the highest profit margin. Older ships need more upkeep. Sad

Ships leaving CCL so far (not counting those going to another line within CCL):

> Carnival (heard 1 went)

> Costa Victoria 

> P&O Oceana

> P&O Australia Aria (old news)

> P&O Australia Dawn (old news)

> what's #6? Princess or HAL?

7 hours ago, Ombud said:

Unfortunately it isn't about turning a profit or being fully booked, it's about turning the highest profit margin. Older ships need more upkeep. Sad

Ships leaving CCL so far (not counting those going to another line within CCL):

> Carnival (heard 1 went)

> Costa Victoria 

> P&O Oceana

> P&O Australia Aria (old news)

> P&O Australia Dawn (old news)

> what's #6? Princess or HAL?

You are learning more "specifics" than I am aware.  Six ships?  Yes.  Which specific ones, other than Costa Victoria, I have not heard.

Edited by rkacruiser

The only question I have is: Are the Aria & Dawn among the 6 leaving CCL or in addition to the 6? Why haven't HAL or PCL identified any ships? Rumor is that Carnival Fantasy based in Mobile AL is the Carnival one going (being replaced by Fascination?)

5 hours ago, Ombud said:

The only question I have is: Are the Aria & Dawn among the 6 leaving CCL or in addition to the 6? Why haven't HAL or PCL identified any ships? Rumor is that Carnival Fantasy based in Mobile AL is the Carnival one going (being replaced by Fascination?)

Give it time, more will follow.

Costa Victoria and 3 Pullmantur ships are sold for scrap but PO Oceana is sold to another shipping company.

Earlier, Costa neoclassica was sold to Bahamas Paradise. Costa neoRiviera was sold to a AIDA..

Costa mediterranea and neoRomantica are also expected to be sold.
They do not have any Cruises planned after September 2020

3 hours ago, drsel said:

Costa Victoria and 3 Pullmantur ships are sold for scrap but PO Oceana is sold to another shipping company.

Earlier, Costa neoclassica was sold to Bahamas Paradise. Costa neoRiviera was sold to a AIDA..

Costa mediterranea and neoRomantica are also expected to be sold.
They do not have any Cruises planned after September 2020

Doesn't net any money for Carnival Corporation as they are both Carnival  Corporation lines. 

Just looked up the mediterranea (2000) and neoRomantica (1993) and they are supposed to go to a new Carnival line based in China this year? Hadn't heard about that before!

Yes, Carnival has a joint venture and equity participation with a Chinese cruise line

So these two ships are being sold/ transferred to that Chinese joint venture.

Mediterranea Singapore round trips have been cancelled including my two Cruises.

neoRomantica sailings around Japan have also been cancelled after September 2020

• Like 1

Costa’s Mediterranea and Atlantic are being transferred to a joint Carnival owned Chinese based line but that’s old news.

neoRomantica isn’t sold yet but could be, a very now odd vessel to sell off after what they did to it. 

Prior to COVID, Carnival didn’t announce what they were doing with Fantasy but I’d assume sold but still not confirmed.

So far confirmed:

1) Costa Victoria

2) Oceana (P&O)

Aria and Dawn I think are considered old news and not among these 6. No one really knows till they confirm it or just keep checking the sites and see which ship is disappearing over time I.e Oceana, surprised about Oceana being the youngest of the 4 Sun class ships. 

But if they don’t start sailing soon, there will be more than just these 6.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

Now it's up to 13 out of the fleet (9% of total). I'm expecting a lot of ship changes as ships leave various lines

To be clear, that's 9% of passenger capacity, not 9% of ships.

• Thanks 1

Several news outlets are reporting the 9%, USA and the Wall Street Journal and it does say capacity:

Carnival Corp. said it expects to reduce its fleet by 13 ships, or nearly 9% of its capacity, a move that will downsize the world’s largest cruise company’s operations as it continues to burn cash amid sailing suspensions caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.

• Like 1