Experience with pre cruise Southampton hotel refunds

I know this should go on the Southampton forum but no one reads that and P&O is biggest cruise line out of Southampton. 

I have recieved my P&O refund after 50 days. But still waiting for the refund from hotel, Carey's Manor,  offered me a 100% voucher, then a 120% voucher, but went deaf when I insisted on a refund . Going CC route next week

What is experience with other pre cruise Southampton hotels

Good place to put this, and a useful thread for people to find out just how good, or bad, hotels are at looking after customers.

I cancelled a couple of Holiday Inn reservations, along with Parking4cruises, no problems at all, for what it’s worth.

I was booked to stay at the Premier Inn West Quay and I always choose the Premier Inn version of “select” where I pay a bit more but I can cancel any time up until 1pm on day of visit! Also you don’t pay til you arrive, so an easy painless thing to sort out.

just go into the app and click on cancel.

We had a voucher for our non refundable travelodge booking as before lock down.

If they could still have let you stay at the time you would not be entitled to a refund if booked on a non refundable rate and chose not to go yourself.  

Edited by tring

We were booked for the Holiday Inn express  by the cricket ground on a nonrefundable deal and we're given the option of changing the date of our stay and paying any difference or cancelling. Chose to cancel and we're refunded in full 15 days later.

Excellent service.

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I was booked to stay at the Premier Inn West Quay and I always choose the Premier Inn version of “select” where I pay a bit more but I can cancel any time up until 1pm on day of visit! Also you don’t pay til you arrive, so an easy painless thing to sort out.

just go into the app and click on cancel.

Premier refunded our booking even though it was a fixed non-refundable booking

I tried to cancel my Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue but was on non-cancellable.  The lady advised me that because I had another cruise booked I can transfer my booking to a night before the new sail date.  However because it is over twelve months ahead of now it is not possible to book.  She advised phoning to transfer within 12 months prior to the new date but before the old date was due to occur. So I have a specific time frame to phone within to facilitate this.

Regards John

Phoned Holiday Inn Express to cancel my pre cruise stay at their Southampton West hotel on 6th April and even though I had booked a non refundable rate was told I would receive a refund within 14 days issued by Head Office. Nothing happened contacted Holiday Inn Express by PM on their Facebook page and was told the refund would now be issued by the hotel when it reopened. Currently the hotel is still closed  and received  no refund after 74 days and being realistic dont think even when the hotel reopens dont expect a refund.

Everyone who appears to see it as a good gesture having a refund on a  'non redundable' bookings it isn't. The non refundable clause only applies if the customer cancels.

If a hotel cannot provide the service you have booked and paid for you are entitled to a full refund immediately.

10 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

Everyone who appears to see it as a good gesture having a refund on a  'non redundable' bookings it isn't. The non refundable clause only applies if the customer cancels.

If a hotel cannot provide the service you have booked and paid for you are entitled to a full refund immediately.

The point I’m making is some companies who over their whole setup with a lot more bookings than P&O can manage to refund you almost immediately not all this 60/90/god knows how many days to refund excuses

57 minutes ago, Manx buoy said:

The point I’m making is some companies who over their whole setup with a lot more bookings than P&O can manage to refund you almost immediately not all this 60/90/god knows how many days to refund excuses

Exactly  - take a bow Premier Inn and Travel Lodge.  Strange that the more "value for money" chains are being the most helpful in the current environment.  

1 hour ago, Thejuggler said:

My hotel was still open when my April cruise should have happened, but they still refunded my non refundable booking.

4 hours ago, Palaceman said:

Premier refunded our booking even though it was a fixed non-refundable booking

Yeah I was a bit gutted to hear everyone got their money back while I pay ‘full whack’ 😁 Only joking!

11 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

Exactly right Juggler, which is why I waited till they cancelled on me.

Still no response. Hence I feel Credit Card route is all thats left. It's a pity about Carey's Manor,  lovely hotel and with 21 days parking included good value for a longer cruise. They just haven't understood law or don't want to. 

6 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Exactly right Juggler, which is why I waited till they cancelled on me.

Still no response. Hence I feel Credit Card route is all thats left. It's a pity about Carey's Manor,  lovely hotel and with 21 days parking included good value for a longer cruise. They just haven't understood law or don't want to. 

Ironically, I see they’re now advertising a new refund policy aimed at reassuring potential customers!

I wonder if a few of us contacting them to let them know their little secret’s out might encourage them to pay up? 😉

On 6/20/2020 at 9:36 AM, Harry Peterson said:

Ironically, I see they’re now advertising a new refund policy aimed at reassuring potential customers!

I wonder if a few of us contacting them to let them know their little secret’s out might encourage them to pay up? 😉

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Carey's Manor refunded my money today, in the end much  faster than P&O 50 days and Cunard 80 days. But its the communications  black hole that makes you wonder if you'll ever get it. 

Good Morning Mr P,

Thank you for you email and for brining this matter to our attention. We have updated our cancelation policy to offer more flexibility to guests at this time and you can find out more about it here: https://www.careysmanor.com/Coronavirus_Information.html As the new policy now includes the option to have your deposit refunded, I do hope you will consider us for a future stay on this basis.

I wonder if you could be so kind as to share the website you were browsing so that we could make any necessary updates?

Kind regards,

Gemma

On 6/19/2020 at 8:45 PM, john watson said:

I tried to cancel my Holiday Inn Herbert Walker Avenue but was on non-cancellable.  The lady advised me that because I had another cruise booked I can transfer my booking to a night before the new sail date.  However because it is over twelve months ahead of now it is not possible to book.  She advised phoning to transfer within 12 months prior to the new date but before the old date was due to occur. So I have a specific time frame to phone within to facilitate this.

Regards John

I also had a non-cancellable booking at the same hotel for April 11th.  Once my cruise was confirmed as cancelled, I assumed the money was lost, but contacted them on line to confirm I would be a no-show. However, the hotel called me a couple of days later to say they were closing to all but essential worker bookings and said I would be refunded. Money was back in my account shortly after.  I'm guessing there was a policy change at some point. 

I booked my hotel via booking.com, still waiting for a refund and their customer services keep fobbing me of saying a senior manager is looking at it.

I've raised an S75 through Nationwide but that's going to take another couple of months.

What these companies need to understand is customers have long memories and booking.com have now lost our custom.

In future I'm booking direct with the hotel on refundable rates.