Cruise industry announces US sailing suspension extended until Sept. 15

shof515

4 minutes ago, Lizzanna said:

We are booked on the October 4 Glory out of New Orleans (originally was April 19) I'm pretty sure it will be cancelled at some point. I wish Carnival would just let us cancel it now without penalty so we can make other plans and try and salvage some sort of vacation  this year. 

I do too, because even if Carnival does sail at the end of September, masks will probably be required.  That's not a vacation to me, so I would much rather just reschedule.

• Like 4

Getting a bit " annoying"  ...........      quit playin with our fun time. If you insist on making an announcement that cruises will begin again on August 1, only to cancel cruises ( AGAIN), its  more than disturbing. Just pull the plug and cancel till 2021 or later date and be done with it. I'd  Rather have a true date to resume, than doing the yoyo back n forth, ( book/cancel/book/cancel cha cha cha) Carnival's  insisting on posting CRUISE SPECIALS  continually only to yes.....cancel again.  More than irresponsible.

Edited by topaz123
grammar
  • Like 10

57 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I could see a week or 2 ago, that this might be the case. And this directive came from the CLIA this morning, so this is very  fresh news. Bummer. Our cruise was scheduled to sail Sept. 13. Missed it by 2 days. 😕

We missed it by 3 days, September 12.  

2 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

Getting a bit " annoying"  ...........      quit playin with our fun time. If you insist on making an announcement that cruises will begin again on August 1, only to cancel cruises ( AGAIN), its  more than disturbing. Just pull the plug and cancel till 2021 or later date and be done with it. Rather have a true date to resume, and doing the yoyo back n forth, and insisting on posting CRUISE SPECIALS  continually only to yes.....cancel again.  More than irresponsible.

But then they couldn’t play with your $$.  If schools & universities show success resuming in the Fall MAYBE they will resume cruising in November or December.  But It has not gone well working through the phases for some states even with sweltering temps so resuming classes are going to be a big gamble.  If people get to cruise Jan 2021 I’ll be surprised.  But hey, all this time off should give them ample time to clean the nasty drapes, sofas, etc in the cabins particularly the older ships.  Just sayin is all 🤷🏼‍♀️

Booked on Sunshine from Charleston on 9/24. Went to book another room online and wasn't able to. Spoke to Carnival (got through with no wait...hooray) and they have suspended all bookings until October. When I pressed a bit, the rep said they have blocked off all bookings in September because of distancing. Asked if we could be moved to a later sailing so we could add an additional cabin and that was denied.

18 minutes ago, Moparfiend said:

The cruise lines spinning this "reduced capacity" bs is what ticks me off

I totally agreed.  They started to "grayed out" August and September a week ago and some believed that  the ships/ every cruise were sold out at limited guests.    This happened right before the last cancellations

• Like 2

1 minute ago, geckoflyer said:

Booked on Sunshine from Charleston on 9/24. Went to book another room online and wasn't able to. Spoke to Carnival (got through with no wait...hooray) and they have suspended all bookings until October. When I pressed a bit, the rep said they have blocked off all bookings in September because of distancing. Asked if we could be moved to a later sailing so we could add an additional cabin and that was denied.

They canceled alll cruises through Sept for now......

Just now, Cruiseboy06 said:

I totally agreed.  They started to "grayed out" August and September a week ago and some believed that  the ships/ every cruise were sold out at limited guests.    This happened right before the last cancellations

To be fair...this is what airlines have been doing as well. Cancelling in waves to prevent too many calls to call centers, but first blocking new reservations from being made so they don't have that many more people to deal with. I think the writing is on the wall for all August/September sailings.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lizzanna said:

We are booked on the October 4 Glory out of New Orleans (originally was April 19) I'm pretty sure it will be cancelled at some point. I wish Carnival would just let us cancel it now without penalty so we can make other plans and try and salvage some sort of vacation  this year. 

Same, leaving on Oct 3rd. I picked early October because I didn't want to be on one of the first cruises out. Now it looks like we will be.

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/06/19/us-cruise-ban-cruises-suspended-until-sept-15-industry-group-clia/3222379001/

this might be explain the missing august and September cruises.i wonder when carnival will  make an officially announcement soon

I just called and was told it was like half truths. Carnival corp doesnt mean carnival has decided. 

The guy I just spoke with said as far as he knows its NOT cancelled

Specifically he says he read it and carnival corporation has many lines, it's like reading the article yesterday 6 carnival ships are being sold and assuming they are carnival ships, not other lines carnival owns.

Edited by firefly333

4 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I just called and was told it was like half truths. Carnival corp doesnt mean carnival has decided. 

The guy I just spoke with said as far as he knows its NOT cancelled

Specifically he says he read it and carnival corporation has many lines, it's like reading the article yesterday 6 carnival ships are being sold and assuming they are carnival ships, not other lines carnival owns.

Carnival is part of the CLIA industry. they have to follow the orders set forth by them. John posted something on the book of faces that they will make announcement on Monday. all signs is pointing that all of the august and most of September is canceled

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

I told you guys that they will be canceling the cruises!!!!! 

Yep! I love cruising just as much as the next person, but I knew with FL and TX spiking and re-opening too fast that this would happen. I booked for next summer in the hopes that some version of a vaccine will be ready. But this year? Stick a fork in it. It's DONE!

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

It is not surprising.  Cruising will probably be the last thing that opens up.  Maybe Carnival will go ahead and cancel all September cruises so I can go ahead and roll my money into my January cruise.

Yes.  Ours was September 19 on the Breeze.  We had only paid $375.  The balance was due Sunday, so the Monday announcement doesn't help.  I wasn't going to pay the remainder at this point and tie up more money at this point.  I called this afternoon and had the $375 transferred to one of our cruises next year.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Carnival is part of the CLIA industry. they have to follow the orders set forth by them. John posted something on the book of faces that they will make announcement on Monday. all signs is pointing that all of the august and most of September is canceled

I know they are. Just saying I just called and was told cruises not cancelled that the agent knew of. Grrrr. Thanks ... Monday update.. good to know

1 hour ago, salty dingo said:

A little bewildering why they would set the start up date right at the beginning of the fall Flu season.

It's also the 'peak week' of another season as well.

26 minutes ago, Cruiseboy06 said:

So predictable 😄

Just now, firefly333 said:

I know they are. Just saying I just called and was told cruises not cancelled that the agent knew of. Grrrr. Thanks ... Monday update.. good to know

Same here.  I was told that the information did not come from them and that cruises for August and September were still on.  My final payment was due Sunday.  I had just paid $375, so just had that transferred to one of our cruises for next year.