CLIA - No cruises from US Ports until September 15th.

Nashna

I am so sorry for all those folks who expected to cruise this summer as well as all the people whose income depends on the cruise industry.  CLIA will issue a press release this afternoon with details.  

Not good. I think things are looking slightly better in Europe, although Spain has apparently banned cruise ships indefinitely (and Barcelona is a major starting hub).

I also think that Europe will take steer from the CDC.  I was determined to cruise this year but it's looking less and less likely.

Both Spain and Italy have indefinite cruise ship bans, the two main Mediteranean embark/debark countries. So although the overall Covid picture is improving in Europe and tourists from other EU countries are able to return, the prospect of cruising doesn't look imminent. Rates of infection are far higher in the US so you'd imagine there is less prospect, although many restrictions have been lifted despite this so it's possible?

Tbh, I wouldn't consider a cruise at any time, anywhere this year. Our Splendida sailing earlier this year only had 1200-1400 passengers but there were still many occasions where areas were crowded, although no measures were in place at that time to restrict it, I don't see how it would be possible or effective.

Cruising is out the window this year I'm sure. Also, if it did resume, it would be a much diminished experience of queuing and checks and processes.

Although, good news from Spain yesterday regarding UK tourists so I've booked a trip to the Canaries in August. Call me crazy!?

I'll bet the whole cost of the holiday that the ridiculous 2 week quarantine on return to the UK is abolished by then. And obviously much easier to distance etc. on a land trip.

• Like 2

Indeed Capt, I don't see the point if the experience isn't the experience you're expecting. I guess we'll only know once it resumes. We had to undergo the temperature screening at each port when disembarking and embarking etc but it was largely unintrusive. I'd expect more measures in the immediate future.

If the FCO remove the no travel ban by August a socially distanced land trip would be a lot safer, no different to being at home risk wise. We'll need to travel back to England at some point soon(ish) and will look at the ferry rather than fly, that's as close to a cruise as we'll get 🙂

Quarantine wouldv'e been far more effective some weeks ago - we were very surprised it wasn't mandatory or even recommended when we returned in March, especially given where we'd travelled (we did a self imposed quarantine though). We were also surprised having experienced the restrictions and checks in Asia at all of the ports, hotels and shops there was nothing in Dubai or Dublin airports.

• Like 1

MSC is a member line of CLIA, so I find it a bit odd they are still selling Caribbean cruises out of Miami for early September.  Clearly these sailings are canceled.  I just was able to make a dummy booking for September 5.  You would think they would have blocked these sailings, but not MSC!  LOL.  

I guess they are trying to get as much $$ on the books as possible, hoping for FCC's instead of refunds.  Just seems sketchy.    

14 hours ago, eroller said:

MSC is a member line of CLIA, so I find it a bit odd they are still selling Caribbean cruises out of Miami for early September.  Clearly these sailings are canceled.  I just was able to make a dummy booking for September 5.  You would think they would have blocked these sailings, but not MSC!  LOL.  

I guess they are trying to get as much $$ on the books as possible, hoping for FCC's instead of refunds.  Just seems sketchy.    

Given they are just plain keeping monies that should have been refunded seemingly indefinitely,  why wouldnt they try for more interest free loans?  For those that still dont think its possible MSC is in trouble, they are certainly acting like they need a lot of 0% loans.

2 hours ago, aprilF said:

Given they are just plain keeping monies that should have been refunded seemingly indefinitely,  why wouldnt they try for more interest free loans?  For those that still dont think its possible MSC is in trouble, they are certainly acting like they need a lot of 0% loans.

I have to say MSC is not alone.  All cruise lines are taking their sweet time with refunds, and coming up with every excuse in the book.  It's frustrating and tarnishing an already tarnished industry.  I would be cautious booking a new cruise right now unless you understand getting a refund could take 90 days or longer should you have to cancel.  

I'm still waiting on a refund from Cunard on a cruise from March that was canceled in March.  Going on 90+ days now and nothing but excuses.  

14 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Reading the various cruise boards it seems all of the cruise lines are playing the same song and games. Hard to feel sorry for any of them. 

Not all and that will make a difference for me going forward.

We received a full refund for our April Cruise on Royal Caribbean in under 45 days. I didn’t find that to bad considering the massive amount of refunds they are doing. 

Last week we made final payment for B2B on Seaside in September. When the announcement was made about extension of cancellations I was bummed. We ended up making the cut as sail date is September 19th. I won’t hold my breath but I am crossing my fingers! 🤞🏻🙏🏻 It’s still 3 months away hopefully we will cruise. Have to be optimistic.....if we don’t Cruise we will just take fcc and apply it on another later on!   

2 hours ago, kidless said:

We received a full refund for our April Cruise on Royal Caribbean in under 45 days. I didn’t find that to bad considering the massive amount of refunds they are doing. 

Last week we made final payment for B2B on Seaside in September. When the announcement was made about extension of cancellations I was bummed. We ended up making the cut as sail date is September 19th. I won’t hold my breath but I am crossing my fingers! 🤞🏻🙏🏻 It’s still 3 months away hopefully we will cruise. Have to be optimistic.....if we don’t Cruise we will just take fcc and apply it on another later on!   

I think Royal is one of the better lines with refunds (along with Celebrity).  I know they have been great with communication because I've seen some of their releases regarding refunds.  You are lucky.  So many of us are still waiting and have been for a long time.  

I'm also booked on SEASIDE for September 19.  I give it a 50/50 chance at this point that it will actually sail.  I went into it with full knowledge there is a good chance it might cancel, and that a refund would take a long time .... although I would pick the FCC this time.  Unfortunately with Cunard it was a different set of circumstances and I fully expected to sail when I booked it.  

• Like 1

It took Celebrity about 45 days to refund my paid in full B2B cruises but I had to get involved to do it. I had been initially told no more than thirty days. I recently canceled a transatlantic on the RCI Odyssey OTS for October 2021 to book the Azamara Pursuit. Still waiting for my deposit to be refunded and also waiting for MSC to answer my credit card dispute at 86 days. Of course if MSC is now going by the sail date of the booked cruise then that will be 7/09. Who knows. 

3 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

It took Celebrity about 45 days to refund my paid in full B2B cruises but I had to get involved to do it. I had been initially told no more than thirty days. I recently canceled a transatlantic on the RCI Odyssey OTS for October 2021 to book the Azamara Pursuit. Still waiting for my deposit to be refunded and also waiting for MSC to answer my credit card dispute at 86 days. Of course if MSC is now going by the sail date of the booked cruise then that will be 7/09. Who knows. 

So frustrating.  The cruise lines are only hurting themselves.  They are losing credibility by not refunding promptly.  

At 90 days I caved and filed a credit card dispute for the refund Cunard owes me.  I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but all I get is the run around and no straight answer.  Princess handles all US Cunard bookings and that seems to complicate things.  I had some reps tell me I had to contact Cunard UK and then Cunard UK tell me I must go through Princess in the US (which is correct).  So screw it and I would rather deal with my bank that issued the credit card.  They gave me an instant full credit while awaiting resolution.  

2 minutes ago, eroller said:

So frustrating.  The cruise lines are only hurting themselves.  They are losing credibility by not refunding promptly.  

At 90 days I caved and filed a credit card dispute for the refund Cunard owes me.  I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but all I get is the run around and no straight answer.  Princess handles all US Cunard bookings and that seems to complicate things.  I had some reps tell me I had to contact Cunard UK and then Cunard UK tell me I must go through Princess in the US (which is correct).  So screw it and I would rather deal with my bank that issued the credit card.  They gave me an instant full credit while awaiting resolution.  

That's good to know.  I'll wait the 60 days and then notify my credit card company.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eroller said:

Chase gave me an instant credit. MSC has until 7/19 to reply or Chase pulls the money and my credit becomes permanent. For a cruise line that is trying to build their North America business, they’re doing their best to alienate those that want to cruise with them. It’s one thing to get behind or overwhelmed but be transparent about it. 

47 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

. For a cruise line that is trying to build their North America business, they’re doing their best to alienate those that want to cruise with them. It’s one thing to get behind or overwhelmed but be transparent about it. 

All true and you have every right to be frustrated.  This being said, MSC has poor communication and is disorganized even on the best of days, so it’s really not a total surprise.  

Cunard on the other hand, a Carnival Corp brand, does come as a surprise to me.  I expected better.  Zero communication and the complete run around.  It’s very disappointing.  

57 minutes ago, eroller said:

All true and you have every right to be frustrated.  This being said, MSC has poor communication and is disorganized even on the best of days, so it’s really not a total surprise.  

Cunard on the other hand, a Carnival Corp brand, does come as a surprise to me.  I expected better.  Zero communication and the complete run around.  It’s very disappointing.  

Surprised about a line like Cunard. Very surprised. MSC? Not so much.

Hope that you’re doing well. It has to be a little scary being around so many people. Stay safe. 

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

Surprised about a line like Cunard. Very surprised. MSC? Not so much.

Hope that you’re doing well. It has to be a little scary being around so many people. Stay safe. 

Thanks!  Yes I've been flying all this time so no real lock-down for me.  It hasn't been bad.  In fact I feel safer today on the airplane than most public places.  The planes are spotless, fogged with COVID killing disinfectant after every flight, new procedures in place to minimize contact, and social distancing measures activated (like 60% caps in coach and 50% in first class).  Masks required.  At least on my airline.  The downside is every time you cough and sneeze you think COVID but so far so good!  Things are taking a turn for the worse here in Florida (no shock) so we will see how that plays out.  I think there should be a national policy on COVID as the state to state policies don't seem to be effective, but that is another topic.  Hope you're well too!  

Edited by eroller

15 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Chase gave me an instant credit. MSC has until 7/19 to reply or Chase pulls the money and my credit becomes permanent. For a cruise line that is trying to build their North America business, they’re doing their best to alienate those that want to cruise with them. It’s one thing to get behind or overwhelmed but be transparent about it. 

You can say that again.

But in reality from what was posted here, really no one was getting refunds until around day 90.   I'm leaning more towards they dragged feet on purpose.

Edited by dexddd

15 hours ago, eroller said:

Thanks!  Yes I've been flying all this time so no real lock-down for me.  It hasn't been bad.  In fact I feel safer today on the airplane than most public places.  The planes are spotless, fogged with COVID killing disinfectant after every flight, new procedures in place to minimize contact, and social distancing measures activated (like 60% caps in coach and 50% in first class).  Masks required.  At least on my airline.  The downside is every time you cough and sneeze you think COVID but so far so good!  Things are taking a turn for the worse here in Florida (no shock) so we will see how that plays out.  I think there should be a national policy on COVID as the state to state policies don't seem to be effective, but that is another topic.  Hope you're well too!  

Your airline seems to be doing the best out of the major airlines in handling this pandemic. I do miss flying them. When we lived in ATL they always were our go to airline.

Our numbers here are climbing. We opened up two weeks ago. Masks here in Palm Springs have been mandatory since April along with social distancing but now we’re getting a huge influx of people from nearby counties of which many do not or will not follow the rules. The city council voted to start yanking the business license of any business not enforcing the rules. 

Good news. Chase sent me a letter this morning. My dispute has been resolved with MSC. Case closed. 

Stay safe.