Cruise Critic Community
Me by the Sea

Jones Act amendment

I wrote to my congressional reps (house and senate,) requesting that the Jones Act be amended, to allow cruise ships to travel between US ports without stopping at a foreign country.  [  Before the “keyboard commandos” jump all over my post - no, I’ve not had time to read the original bill.  Also, please be polite in your responses.  ]. If you feel this has merit, please contact your representatives too. Thank you.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Me by the Sea said:

I wrote to my congressional reps (house and senate,) requesting that the Jones Act be amended, to allow cruise ships to travel between US ports without stopping at a foreign country.  [  Before the “keyboard commandos” jump all over my post - no, I’ve not had time to read the original bill.  Also, please be polite in your responses.  ]. If you feel this has merit, please contact your representatives too. Thank you.

The Jones Act is applicable to the shipment of merchandise, not passengers. If you want to amend the law controlling passenger ships you need to write your representatives about the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

I'll just politely say that there's absolutely no reason why the government would want to do this given that the cruise lines pay almost nothing in federal income tax, and the cruise lines themselves have shown no interest in nor expressed a need for amending the PVSA.

What's your logic and rationale for wanting the change?

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks for the clarification!  I will rewrite them today.  The goal is to reinstate cruises to nowhere. Given that Carnival is HQ’s in Florida and Princess is HQ’d in California it might gain some traction. They pay a lot of taxes (Especially state and city,) and I believe that between them, they have thousands of US (taxpaying) employees.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Me by the Sea said:

Thanks for the clarification!  I will rewrite them today.  The goal is to reinstate cruises to nowhere. Given that Carnival is HQ’s in Florida and Princess is HQ’d in California it might gain some traction. They pay a lot of taxes (Especially state and city,) and I believe that between them, they have thousands of US (taxpaying) employees.

Cruises to nowhere are permitted by the PVSA, so amending that law isn't necessary nor would it solve the problem.

Cruises to nowhere were discontinued at the order of the Department of Homeland Security because the majority of cruise ship crew did not hold the type of visa that would allow them to work on the cruises to nowhere. DHS ruled that way because a cruise to nowhere never makes a port call in a foreign  country so the crew were considered to be working in the US for the entire duration of the cruise. Few crew members hold a visa that permits them to work in the US  beyond the few incidental hours the ship spends in a US port.

The overwhelming majority of cruise line employees are foreign nationals who work in international waters on foreign-flagged ships and therefore pay no US taxes. Nor do the cruise lines pay any US or state employment taxes for those employees. The number of land side employees in the US headquarters facilities is small in comparison.

As someone who has owned businesses, I can unequivocally state that local and state taxes generally don't amount to a hill of beans in comparison to federal taxes.

Edit: Here's a link to an article that explains the cruise to nowhere  issue:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Customs-says-cruises-to-nowhere-were-never-legal

Edited by njhorseman

If the cruise lines choose to become US corporations and pay appropriate taxes and follow US Labor law, I would support this.  They haven’t, and they won’t, so I will ensure I write my congress people to keep the PVSA in place.