Is The Celebration For Sale?

3 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

Just came across THIS LISTING on the QPS Ships for sale website.

Any guesses as to what may be up?

It’s possible that they want to go back to one ship. The Grand Classica is younger and in better shape than the poor old Celebration. I can’t imagine anyone who would buy the old girl since Carnival is getting rid of many of their older ships. Sad situation all around. I, myself love the old Carnival ships. 

1 hour ago, Purvis1231 said:

I would love it if they would pick up on of the Fantasy class ships.

That would be great. yes Carnival is selling 6 of their ships. However they also said a lot of people like the older and smaller ships. I like the Carnival ships for the larger state rooms vs the Classica. However, they have also lost a ton of money and maybe just trying to recoup for now. 65 mill is a good amount of cash. Wonder how much they owe?

6 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I would love it if they would pick up on of the Fantasy class ships.

There may be opportunities coming to purchase an even more desirable ship than one of the Fantasy Class.  

4 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

However, they have also lost a ton of money and maybe just trying to recoup for now. 65 mill is a good amount of cash. Wonder how much they owe?

Being a privately held Company, we are not privy to that information.  If they are in acceptable financial condition and have adequate sources for additional funding of the Company as needed, this pandemic caused economic crisis for the major cruise lines may provide an opportunity for BPCL to be more than a niche player in the cruise market.  

A great time to sell and buy a ship. No need to cancel a cruise to do so. An example would be if carnival is going to sell the Fascination. A Fantasy Class Ship was built in 1994 where as the Grand Celebration was 1986 an 8 year newer ship.

5 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

A great time to sell and buy a ship. No need to cancel a cruise to do so. An example would be if carnival is going to sell the Fascination. A Fantasy Class Ship was built in 1994 where as the Grand Celebration was 1986 an 8 year newer ship.

That would be great, the Fascination is a bigger ship with more balconies. BPCL would have to scrap both the Celebration and the Classica and go to just one ship to survive. They were having financial problems running two ships. If they had the one ship and run two itineraries. Go to Grand Bahama twice a week and then run to Nassau once a week it might work. They would have to reorganize and no longer be BPCL. They are barely treading water (no pun intended) and still have a contract with the Port of Palm Beach. Don’t forget there are a ton of people demanding refunds too.

Edited by pinkie60
25 minutes ago, pinkie60 said:

They would have to reorganize and no longer be BPCL. They are barely treading water (no pun intended)

How do you know this?  While a Fantasy Class ship would be an improvement over Celebration, there may be other "low hanging fruit" at this time available that would be even more attractive to cruisers than Celebration and Classica.

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

How do you know this?  While a Fantasy Class ship would be an improvement over Celebration, there may be other "low hanging fruit" at this time available that would be even more attractive to cruisers than Celebration and Classica.

I agree that the Fantasy Class ships and any low hanging fruit (as you put it) would be an improvement over what ships are sailing for BPCL. However, my point was that BPCL was having financial problems way before this pandemic began. Also, when BPCL purchased the new ships they changed their name and livery. The owner is a family member of NCL cruiseline so he has an inside track on what deals he can do with buying and selling cruise ships. I live in west Palm Beach and they hurting more than the other cruise lines. Look what happened to Pullmanteur. A lot of times these cruise lines remind me of used car lots. They close, get rid of their inventory overnight and six months later they are opened up under a new name and a new inventory. 

20 hours ago, pinkie60 said:They were having financial problems running two ships.

Not doubting you. Just genuinely wondering where you obtain financial information about BPCL. I’ve looked before, specially during this pandemic, and I’ve never been able to find any reliable source of information. 

6 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

I agree that the Fantasy Class ships and any low hanging fruit (as you put it) would be an improvement over what ships are sailing for BPCL. However, my point was that BPCL was having financial problems way before this pandemic began. Also, when BPCL purchased the new ships they changed their name and livery. The owner is a family member of NCL cruiseline so he has an inside track on what deals he can do with buying and selling cruise ships. I live in west Palm Beach and they hurting more than the other cruise lines. Look what happened to Pullmanteur. A lot of times these cruise lines remind me of used car lots. They close, get rid of their inventory overnight and six months later they are opened up under a new name and a new inventory. 

Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate you taking the time to do so.  Living in West Palm Beach where the HQ is, you probably are more aware of what the "news" may be about BPCL than those of us who live elsewhere.  Your comment about "they are hurting more than the other cruise lines" seems a bit off to me.  How can that be?  The booked revenue from guests having completed a cruise is zero for all of them.  

As for Pullmantur, it was a concept that was too narrowly focused from its start and the Spanish and world economic conditions has finished it.  I like your analogy of a "used car lot".  That won't be Pullmantur in my opinion.  Monarch's and Sovereign's next port of call will be either Alang (or similar) or as a newly created reef somewhere in our oceans.     

4 hours ago, Tapi said:

Not doubting you. Just genuinely wondering where you obtain financial information about BPCL. I’ve looked before, specially during this pandemic, and I’ve never been able to find any reliable source of information. 

So this cruise line suffered a setback in the last hurricane season. Grand Bahama island was hit with hurricane Dorian which decimated the eastern part of the island. The grand Celebration did cruises to the island every other. So most of that entire season the Grand Celebration was busy with mercy missions. Taking Bahamians to the U.S. and bringing supplies to Grand Bahama Island. The ship was quite instrumental in the recovery of the island. That revenue was never recovered. The Grand Classica was still traveling to Nassau every other day but was not as financially successful as the Celebration. So the cruise line was suffering before COVID-19 hit. Then in February the word came down that the Classica was going to Grand Bahama for a refit and wasn’t going to be in service until April. Then COVID hit and now here we are not doing well. Just took my nieces to the port yesterday just to look at the ship. They love it, they are 11 and 12. I myself have sailed on that ship at least 10 times. 

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Was not the Company paid for such trips and the supplies carried?

So during that time all that ship received was money for fuel. That was donated by Christian missions out of Florida. The Governor donated $9 million to the people of the Bahamas. All relief workers that came from west palm beach were not charged for their trip over, not charged for the materials that was donated to rebuild the island to transport.  All food on the ship was free. They transported 1,000 Bahamian children to west palm beach to go to palm beach county schools.  This was in the high season when the Celebration would be bringing in the dough from the college kids and the locals. I think the ship lost 2-3 months revenue for the rescue mission. The Celebration was docked at Freeport for weeks to shelter workers and homeless Bahamian people. And they continued to ferry workers to the island for a month for free after emergence simmered down. I don’t believe they ever recovered from that. It was a big deal here in west palm beach because that hurricane was extremely close to us and most likely would have destroyed most of our county. There for the grace of God go i. We felt they took the hit for us. There is not a doubt in my mind that BPCL took a huge hit financially for their assistance in that crisis. 

5 hours ago, pinkie60 said:

So during that time all that ship received was money for fuel. That was donated by Christian missions out of Florida. The Governor donated $9 million to the people of the Bahamas. All relief workers that came from west palm beach were not charged for their trip over, not charged for the materials that was donated to rebuild the island to transport.  All food on the ship was free. They transported 1,000 Bahamian children to west palm beach to go to palm beach county schools.  This was in the high season when the Celebration would be bringing in the dough from the college kids and the locals. I think the ship lost 2-3 months revenue for the rescue mission. The Celebration was docked at Freeport for weeks to shelter workers and homeless Bahamian people. And they continued to ferry workers to the island for a month for free after emergence simmered down. I don’t believe they ever recovered from that. It was a big deal here in west palm beach because that hurricane was extremely close to us and most likely would have destroyed most of our county. There for the grace of God go i. We felt they took the hit for us. There is not a doubt in my mind that BPCL took a huge hit financially for their assistance in that crisis. 

Thanks for your post.  Some of what you wrote, I knew.  Most, however, I did not know.  

3 hours ago, PhaxXx said:

I was poking around on the site with the ships for sale and charter and noticed the Classica is on there as well: Classica Listing

Will be interesting to see what happens.

Yes, it will.

Just me thinking out loud, but I doubt they will be sailing again.

If you go over to their Facebook page, there are a lot of angry people awaiting refunds

18 hours ago, Fla Mike said:

Yes, it will.

If you go over to their Facebook page, there are a lot of angry people awaiting refunds

I am one of them. Been two months and now I am, told another month. Wonder why my bank is taking so long to get the money back and credit my account. Usually the bank credits my account and then goes and gets it back.

On 6/26/2020 at 8:24 PM, Fla Mike said:

Unfortunately, it’s not just BPCL and it’s not just the cruise industry. Go to any cruise line board and you’ll see hundreds and hundreds of posts from angry passengers waiting on their refunds. Heck, I’ve been waiting on two refunds from hotels since May. One from Renaissance and one from Westin. It’s been impossible to get a straight answer from them either. 

If it’s based on delayed refunds, then pretty much any company in the travel industry will not be operating again. 

Edited by Tapi

I'm sure Grand Celebration and Grand Classica are cheaper to operate in cold layup than larger vessels, but BPCL could be starting down around $2 Million per month in expenses while not having any passengers. Getting rid of one or both ships obviously cuts that down significantly. Even in cold layup, there could still a few dozen crew onboard each ship.

Birka Cruises, which just announced it is pulling the plug, has one ship of similar size that runs predominantly 2-day to 4-day itineraries - they are done after 3.5 months. I can't imagine BPCL will fare much better.

I'm not sure what restrictions on ship size/capacity the Port of Palm Beach may have, but Carnival, Royal Caribbean, or Norwegian may be able to fill the void if BPCL goes under.

10 hours ago, tidecat said:

I'm sure Grand Celebration and Grand Classica are cheaper to operate in cold layup than larger vessels, but BPCL could be starting down around $2 Million per month in expenses while not having any passengers. Getting rid of one or both ships obviously cuts that down significantly. Even in cold layup, there could still a few dozen crew onboard each ship.

Birka Cruises, which just announced it is pulling the plug, has one ship of similar size that runs predominantly 2-day to 4-day itineraries - they are done after 3.5 months. I can't imagine BPCL will fare much better.

I'm not sure what restrictions on ship size/capacity the Port of Palm Beach may have, but Carnival, Royal Caribbean, or Norwegian may be able to fill the void if BPCL goes under.

You might be right about BPCL going under (no pun intended) but I disagree about your comment on Carnival, NCL and Royal Carribbean. The major cruise lines have no interest in porting a ship in the port of Palm Beach. It took us years to get BPCL.

There were day gambling ships out of the Port of palm beach long before BPCL started there. The Grand Celebration was approved for dockage after they proved to the port that the ship could dock there easily because the purchased Carnival ship was a lot larger than the Bahamas Celebration that was run by the Bahamas Celebration line. My wife and I did all the ships out of the port. Gambling ones and the cruises.

There is a very good possibility that they want to sell the two ships and purchase two that Carnival now has up for sale. The family that owns the business is not poor by any stretch. Yes, maybe they want out, maybe not. No one knows but them. Talk to any of the employees and you will find out that they all love working for that family. Their pay is better and the perks are far better.

Read how Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line got their start.

On 31 October 2014, Bahamas Celebration struck an unknown object while departing from Freeport, opening up a small hole in the port side. The ship was able to return to the port and all passengers and crew were able to disembark and no injuries were reported. As of 3 November 2014, the hole had been patched, but the ship was still listing by about 10 degrees and salvage crews were trying to assess the damage.[13][14][15]

In December 2014 it was announced that the ship could not be repaired and would be replaced by the MS Grand Celebration, which would be operated by the newly formed Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line.[4] On 24 January 2015 it was announced by Bahamas Paradise Cruise Line that the ship has been sold for scrap.[16] The ship arrived at the scrapping yard on 29 October and was gone by the end of 2016.[17]