Hurtigruten changes ship without notifying us. Downgrades cabin

LinnieRed

I happened to sign into our bookings account with Hurtigruten.com this morning to discover that we are going to be sailing on the MS Trollfjord instead of the revamped MS Otto Sverdrup. Today is the first day that we have been able to access our account online for several months. Our Arctic superior cabin has gone from 17 m2 to 10-11 m2. I cannot stay in a cabin that small. We made careful consideration before we booked this And the QJ category was both well sized and affordable for us.

I know that some think that the cabin doesn’t matter because you spend most of your time outside, and im sure we will be spending most of our time outdoors or in the public areas, But for me, I cannot stay in small spaces.

I’m surprised that Hurtigruten didn’t contact us. We booked with Hurtigruten USA after they price match the Hurtigruten Norway site for us. Not sure what to do, I will call them on Monday to discuss but in the meantime, we will probably have to cancel because of this. i’m very disappointed, although I do understand that they can only sail what ever ship they have ready, but to cut someone’s cabin size in half and not even mention to them that they are on a different ship with a different cabin size is crazy.

Edited by LinnieRed

Certainly it does matter which ship and size of cabin. Primarily with Hurtigruten where ships and cabins are very different. MS Trollfjord is a nice ship and MS Otto Sverdrup is former MS Finmarken - both ships should be renovated in 2020.

Which itinerary and date are you booked?  What cabin type have you been assigned on Trollfjord? 

We are scheduled for the Magic of the Arctic Winter on 13 February. We were in an Arctic Superior  QJ Category of the Otto Sverdrup, 17 m2. Cabin number 630. We have been assigned an Arctic a superior  P2 Category on the Trollfjord, 10m2, cabin number 646. 

Edited by LinnieRed

I absolutely agree that it is not correct to have changed the cabin without even asking. The Trollfjord is being or has been renovated in 2020, but the cabins are tiny and quite often don't even have double beds. Cat. QJ does not exist on Trollfjord, the only cabins of reasonable size ( I fully agree with you here !) are the mini-suites which I expext to be very pricey. If possible, I'd ask to change to one of the ships that offer the QJ category ( not all of them do) , some  of those cabins don't offer any sight , though, except onto a lifeboat.

And don't forget, that your assigned cabin is, as far as I know, on the walking deck which means many paxes walking outside or standing next to your window.

Good luck.

Looks like they have replaced Otto Sverdrup with Trollfjord for the Expedition voyages  in beginning of 2021 - cannot compare a QJ with a P2  - two very, very different type of cabins. I assume they will offer a reduction in price for the change. Alternative is an upgrade to Q2 mini suite at Trollfjord.
Have you checked prices at the Hurtigruten norwegian web? - the cost of the Q2 mini suite at the February 13 sailing i USD 6.615 pp (NOK 64,149) at the Norwegian site. Still available so it might be a possible offer rather that P2 down grade.

On 6/21/2020 at 9:02 PM, LinnieRed said:

We are scheduled for the Magic of the Arctic Winter on 13 February. We were in an Arctic Superior  QJ Category of the Otto Sverdrup, 17 m2. Cabin number 630. We have been assigned an Arctic a superior  P2 Category on the Trollfjord, 10m2, cabin number 646. 

There are 2 QJ cabins (of equivalent size on Trollfjord 640 & 736. They are, however slightly cheaper than P grade as they are limited view. Appreciate the size difference having stayed in QJ on Trollfjord but somebody not knowing ships could've thought they were upgrading you. Check availability of cabins I mention & maybe ask to change to voyage that has those cabins available?

They should have communicated with you, UK customers have received emails re these early 2021 cancellations offering options.

Update: they have moved us to a “handicapped accessible” cabin.  I do not like to take up space in case someone needs it, but at this point the guy at Hurtigruten states that all available handicapped accessible cabins are available. 
I inquired about the likelihood of being bumped from the cabin if someone needs it and he says it’s extremely unlikely due to it being an excursion trip, so no ferry people. We have agreed, though only in theory, that we would be bumped to a mini suite if this would happen. 
we have accepted this as a good alternative. The accessible cabin is 16m2. 

Fingers crossed that, as US residents, we will be able to travel to Norway in February. 

59 minutes ago, LinnieRed said:

Fingers crossed that, as US residents, we will be able to travel to Norway in February. 

I just read today that the EU is seriously considering "banning" US citizens due to the lousy way we've handled COVID.

11 hours ago, clo said:

I just read today that the EU is seriously considering "banning" US citizens due to the lousy way we've handled COVID.

It would not surprise me in the least, and we would probably deserve to be banned. I hope it is that people will start taking precautions seriously here until there is a vaccine protocol. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 8:11 AM, LinnieRed said:

I happened to sign into our bookings account with Hurtigruten.com this morning to discover that we are going to be sailing on the MS Trollfjord instead of the revamped MS Otto Sverdrup. Today is the first day that we have been able to access our account online for several months. Our Arctic superior cabin has gone from 17 m2 to 10-11 m2. I cannot stay in a cabin that small. We made careful consideration before we booked this And the QJ category was both well sized and affordable for us.

I know that some think that the cabin doesn’t matter because you spend most of your time outside, and im sure we will be spending most of our time outdoors or in the public areas, But for me, I cannot stay in small spaces.

I’m surprised that Hurtigruten didn’t contact us. We booked with Hurtigruten USA after they price match the Hurtigruten Norway site for us. Not sure what to do, I will call them on Monday to discuss but in the meantime, we will probably have to cancel because of this. i’m very disappointed, although I do understand that they can only sail what ever ship they have ready, but to cut someone’s cabin size in half and not even mention to them that they are on a different ship with a different cabin size is crazy.

We did get an email notice that said there was a change and more information would come. That was two weeks ago, no additional information. I looked at the deck plans, our cabin in the new booking is about one-half the size. I have not contacted them (our booking is via the .NO site, so I assume we need to call Norway to query/complain) but am quite miffed at the change and the lack of information. Oh, and they said, with no details, that they were also changing our itinerary. I booked this trip based on itinerary and ship. Bah.

Stan

9 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I assume we need to call Norway 

Yes - call +47 810 30 000 - I often contact them  by email at booking@hurtigruten.com to avoid additional costs due to waiting time (Depends on your phone plan) I have good experience with quick feedback.
Quite drastic change for both ship and itinerary. Cabins on MS Trollfjord are, with few exceptions, quite small. See if you can get a YA or upgraded to Q2.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 1:42 AM, GottaKnowWhen said:

We did get an email notice that said there was a change and more information would come. That was two weeks ago, no additional information. I looked at the deck plans, our cabin in the new booking is about one-half the size. I have not contacted them (our booking is via the .NO site, so I assume we need to call Norway to query/complain) but am quite miffed at the change and the lack of information. Oh, and they said, with no details, that they were also changing our itinerary. I booked this trip based on itinerary and ship. Bah.

Stan

Hi Stan,

Are you sorted now? Live in UK and had early 2021 Voyage cancelled too.

If you haven't got detailed itinerary I can probably help as have been asking lots of questions. What voyage/dates are you booked/replanning for?

Richard

Just returned from a Norwegian Coastal Voyage on Finnmarken (Future Otto Svendrup) Ship is refurbished for Cruise service which doesn''t fit the Norwegian Coastal Service for the full 100%. Nevertheless we had a nice time.

Cabins are now refurbished with double beds etc which is actually quite nice. The double bed is placed before the window, great for views in bed.However DO NOT booked cabins on the promenade deck as the bed is right in front of the window and windows are not mirror glassed as they should be. You have no privacy at all and walking around the promenade deck is a bit embarrassing as you literally look into people's beds.

• Thanks 1

We were also booked on the Otto Sverdrup from Bergen in January. We have decided to rebook for January 2022 on the Otto leaving from Hamburg as have been told that is where it will be leaving from for 2021 and 2022. Originally asked for a refund due to not being what we had originally booked ( ship and cabin, didn’t want sofa beds. ) we are waiting for this cruise to open for booking now. Pretty sure that Australians won’t be going anywhere in January 21.

I sent an email asking about the situation a few weeks ago. No reply. I haven’t pushed it, have other things to focus on right now, and our cruise isn’t scheduled until 2022. Still not pleased with the change and the total lack of information.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

19 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

I sent an email asking about the situation a few weeks ago. No reply. I haven’t pushed it, have other things to focus on right now, and our cruise isn’t scheduled until 2022. Still not pleased with the change and the total lack of information.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Love your forum name!

Earlier in the spring, when our Finnmarkenn classic coastal cruise was cancelled we briefly considered an expedition coastal cruise on the Sverdrup (the refurbished Finnmarkenn, as I understand it.)  We ultimately decided on another classic coastal cruise.  

I would have been terribly disappointed with the ship swap from the Sverdrup - had we booked the coastal expedition.  The ship would have been a significant deciding factor.  As would balcony availability.

I realize that things a difficult for the travel industry and things are changing rapidly and they must adjust and keep an eye on their bottom line and finances.  But that's not to say that they should not be transparent and proactive in their out reach in the communications with customers when they make changes.

It almost makes me yearn for the regular schedule change weekend emails from airlines on a long in advance booking: equipment changes, flight time changes (yes even 3 minutes) and flight number changes....Who woulda thunk such airline emails would be the standard to compare cruise line changes? (Admittedly cruise changes would be comparatively rare).

Please let us know how things work out with the email.

Edited by Homerody