New to RC, please explain water/lemonade/iced tea options for me?

We have just booked our first ever Royal Caribbean cruise (Mediterranean next summer (hopefully!)) and I'm trying to understand how beverages/drinks work. If I don't buy any kind of beverage package, is water (filtered, but not bottled), iced tea, coffee, and lemonade available on a self-serve basis anywhere on the Vision of the Seas? I think if we want soda/specialty coffee/alcohol/juice/bottled water, we will have to buy a package, but what about the rest?  Is it self-serve in WindJammer or somewhere else?  Can I order any of that from the bars or poolside, and if so, is there a charge for it (assuming no package)?

Thank you for any guidance!

Water, iced tea, coffee and lemonade are complimentary.  Not sure if it will be self serve.    We have not been on Vision so not sure of the options.  We are from the South and I will say that their iced tea is not very good for us.  It’s much too strong and looks like cola.  In fact, one time the waiter filled my husbands class of Coke with iced tea.

11 minutes ago, onivek said:

We have just booked our first ever Royal Caribbean cruise (Mediterranean next summer (hopefully!)) and I'm trying to understand how beverages/drinks work. If I don't buy any kind of beverage package, is water (filtered, but not bottled), iced tea, coffee, and lemonade available on a self-serve basis anywhere on the Vision of the Seas? I think if we want soda/specialty coffee/alcohol/juice/bottled water, we will have to buy a package, but what about the rest?  Is it self-serve in WindJammer or somewhere else?  Can I order any of that from the bars or poolside, and if so, is there a charge for it (assuming no package)?

Thank you for any guidance!

There is Filtered water, Lemonade, Iced Tea, Coffee , Tea Bags, and sometimes Hot Chocolate ,Juices during breakfast  hours in the windjammer. You get Soda, Specialty Coffee, bottled water ala cart thru out the ship you do not need a drink package for that. As for the Pool area i don't know about the beverages avail in windjammer delivered to the pool I have never asked  for them i would guess it would be bottled water, soda or bar drinks that would be a charge 

If you're just opting for the free beverages, those are available just outside of the windjammer on the pool deck.  We're not big drinkers and also try not to have too much soda so we've never purchased a drink package.  If I feel like having a drink, I just grab something at the bar and charge it to my sea pass.  Many times, we'll bring back a soda from the port.  Never had a problem with that.

The only Complementary beverage you can get from bars is  tap water. 

Many of the choices mentioned are available at meal venues. Water, tea, milk, hot chocolate, lemonade, coffee, juice in the mornings-I’m sure I’m missing a few) 

beverage station usually has coffee, tea, hot chocolate, ice water and sometimes some flavored waters. I’m sure I’m missing a few. 

Complementary morning room service includes coffee, tea, milk, juice, hot chocolate. I’m sure I’m missing a few

m

On my last rcl cruise they had people filling the glasses with free beverages they set on a tray. They seemed to not want you to self serve. I wanted to do it so i got a drink the ice hadnt melted into and watered down. They had 1 or 2 people filling glasses and you just took what you wanted from the tray.

1 hour ago, Johnamac123 said:

You can also purchase a non-alcoholic beverage package (refreshment package) that includes soda, fresh squeezed juices and mocktails for $18+tip/tax ish per day. Alcohol drinks would then be charged by the drink. 

$18 is the low end...my cruise is back up to $28

Thank you everyone!  That is very helpful to know.  One more question-- if we didn't buy the soda package, would soda still be included in dinner in the MDR, or would that also be pay-by-the drink? I'm assuming it's not included and there are no free refills, but I want to make sure.  Thank you again!

24 minutes ago, onivek said:

Thank you everyone!  That is very helpful to know.  One more question-- if we didn't buy the soda package, would soda still be included in dinner in the MDR, or would that also be pay-by-the drink? I'm assuming it's not included and there are no free refills, but I want to make sure.  Thank you again!

You are allowed to bring 12 bottles or cans of soda or water on board per cabin at embarkation.

As OB Mentioned soda is not included at any time. 

4 hours ago, Dett said:

Water, iced tea, coffee and lemonade are complimentary.  Not sure if it will be self serve.    We have not been on Vision so not sure of the options.  We are from the South and I will say that their iced tea is not very good for us.  It’s much too strong and looks like cola.  In fact, one time the waiter filled my husbands class of Coke with iced tea.

Tastes like wet tobacco leaves to me.  😝

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You are allowed to bring 12 bottles or cans of soda or water on board per cabin at embarkation.

As OB Mentioned soda is not included at any time. 

So on rcl you can still bring either? Good to know. 

Carnival only allows cans. So hard to keep all the rules straight. I guess people were removing the tops on bottles and replacing with booze, carnival just said only cans allowed.

I don’t drink alcohol or much soda so I bring my own Swell bottle for my water and add crystal light to that.   I’ll usually get some bottled water for my cabin so I have water in there. 
I’ve also used the tap water in my cabin and had no issues.    
I would ask my room steward to make sure I had ice in my room all day so I could fill up when I needed it.    Works great for me.      

3 hours ago, onivek said:

Got it!  And it is really good to know that I can bring some soda on board at embarkation.  Thank you all so much!

Needs to be handcarried. It is suppose to be 12 per cabin, but they can't really associate one handcarry with another.

Mornings, there are coffee and juices (not fresh squeezed) available complimentary. In the afternoon, they transition to coffee, flavored water, and ice tea. 

Hard to say if self serve is dead. I was actually kinda surprised to see that they still do self serve drinks at Costco. 

Edited by BirdTravels

5 hours ago, onivek said:

Royal stopped Free Soda Pop with Meals yrs ago, the one thing I really miss...well that plus Skeet Shooting & Hitting Golf Balls off the Ship... As said you can hand carry on board, not in checked luggage, a 12 pack Soda Pop, limit is 17oz each.  Some bring 12oz cans, I bring 16.9oz Plastic Bottles. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

Texas we drink sweet tea. I cant drink the tea onboard cruiseships. Tastes awful no matter if you add sugar or sweeteners. Tastes like some kind of premade syrup to me. I know I could take a tea bag and make my own  not worth it.

Luckily I'm good with flavoured waters.

8 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

And we don't think it's strong enough.

So true! It is very weak but still tastes awful and is caffeinated so I don’t bother. 😩

I drink iced water most of the time but occasionally make a pitcher of tea at home with “decaffeinated” (still has some caffeine but much less) organic black, green, mint and orange tea, brewed dark.  I then add 1/4 cup of sugar.   Strong, refreshing and very lightly sweetened.

Edited by Bookish Angel

9 hours ago, Bookish Angel said:

So true! It is very weak but still tastes awful and is caffeinated so I don’t bother. 😩

I drink iced water most of the time but occasionally make a pitcher of tea at home with “decaffeinated” (still has some caffeine but much less) organic black, green, mint and orange tea, brewed dark.  I then add 1/4 cup of sugar.   Strong, refreshing and very lightly sweetened.

I think the reason it's so weak (for me) is that servers will load up the water, juice, tea and lemonade glasses with ice. The ice melts and dilutes the drink. I love orange juice but that stuff they serve tastes like very weak Tang. When you can see through it, you know it's not good.

I bring individual servings of Crystal Lite. If we stay close enough to port I will pick up a jar of instant Lipton (I like it). I can choose what I want or make tea as strong as I want.

I'm not from the South and don't like sugar in my tea so I don't favor sweet tea. Others do. I'm so glad there are choices.

Size of the water/soda containers is 17 oz.  That is basically 500 ml.  So if bringing water look for that size.  Many bottled water companies offer 500ml.

You can also bring on two bottles of wine (750ml)

23 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

I guess I'm in the minority; I actually like the iced tea. One or two packets of the yellow sweetener and lots of ice, and I'm good to go. 😊

I like it also... with no sweetener at all.