Cruise Critic Community
Couple-Somerset

Virtuosa confirmed changed to Grandiosa

Posted (edited)

Our December 2020 cruise on Virtuosa has changed to Grandiosa with dates etc unchanged. 

Screenshot_20200622_094305_com.android.chrome.jpg

Edited by Couple-Somerset

My Virtuosa cruise 16th April from Barcelona has been switched to Grandiosa leaving 17th from Barcelona with completely different itinerary,  looks like i'll have to ring my TA as i have this itinerary booked later that year on Grandiosa.  

I have just realised booking is now showing a Guarantee balcony now with no cabin assigned 🙄

Yes, ours is the same. 

We are YC inside so we may even get upgraded to a balcony - but the worst will be a YC inside. 

All cabins changed to guarantee and this ship is als covering Fantasia sailings as that's going to Dubai instead of Seaview so there will be chaos with lots ending up with cabins they didn't want!!!

our cruise 21-28 december is changed to Grandiosa. Now our cabin is changed, there is no cabin number anymore. Still Inside cabin though... also I can not choose a beverage package 

Does this mean that Grandiosa is changing from its own original routing? I have a Grandiosa Med Cruise booked from Barcelona on April 10th? Will that have been abandoned as she switches to cover Virtuosa?

13 minutes ago, JP82 said:

Does this mean that Grandiosa is changing from its own original routing? I have a Grandiosa Med Cruise booked from Barcelona on April 10th? Will that have been abandoned as she switches to cover Virtuosa?

Grandiosa appears to be covering Virtuosa instead of going to South America (virus really bad in Brazil etc).

Some people have had their Virtuosa bookings simply moved to Grandiosa (but with GTY cabin shown and not their booked cabin).

Some have had their whole booking changed - one lady in the UK had her 7N Virtuosa change to a 5N from a different port and different dates.

MSC UK have said announcement on changes is coming later today.

WELL... I can't complain too much. I was originally scheduled for a 6-night on Virtuosa on April 19th, 2021 (Balcony in YC). Now I am on a 7 night (for no more cost, whoo!) cruise on Grandiosa. Such as others - I have no room assignment, but it does say I will still be in the YC.

The new itinerary is greatly different, but it is what it is. 

The addition of 1 extra night at no cost makes it okay. 🙂 

4 minutes ago, Megtheblackbelt said:

WELL... I can't complain too much. I was originally scheduled for a 6-night on Virtuosa on April 19th, 2021 (Balcony in YC). Now I am on a 7 night (for no more cost, whoo!) cruise on Grandiosa. Such as others - I have no room assignment, but it does say I will still be in the YC.

The new itinerary is greatly different, but it is what it is. 

The addition of 1 extra night at no cost makes it okay. 🙂 

What is your new Itinerary Meg?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, JP82 said:

What is your new Itinerary Meg?

Old Itinerary:

(Embark) Civitavecchia, Italy > Palermo, Italy > Valletta, Malta > Sea Day > Barcelona, Spain (where we live 😛) > Marseille, France > Portofino, Italy (Disembark)

New Itinerary:

(Embark) Civitavecchia, Italy > Sea Day > Palma de Mallorca, Spain > Barcelona, Spain > Cannes, France > Genoa, Italy > La Spezia, Italy > Civitavecchia, Italy (Disembark)

Pros of New Cruise:

1. 1 extra night at no further cost

2. Embark/disembark from same port, so can book a round-trip flight (flights were not previously booked)

3. La Spezia!

Cons of New Cruise:

1. Loss of visiting Malta (was looking forward to this)

2. Visiting Palma de Mallorca (since I live in Barcelona already, this is of course a super easily accessible/popular spot)

That said, overall, I am happy with the change. The pros of the new cruise outweigh the cons, and I am very stoked to visit Cinque Terre (and have 1 extra night!). The dates of the cruise did shift by 2 days, but thankfully this does not effect us much, as we did not have flights booked previously/are flexible. 🙂 

Edited by Megtheblackbelt

Posted (edited)

Well it's ok that they wont send the Grandisoa to Brazil, but it would be nice if they cancel officially the TA and inform the people that have booked the cruise. Because instead of a 16 night TA our account now shows a 4 nights Med - on a different date, with different starting point...  Not that I want to go to Brazil right now, but that change is a no go. Oh an not in YC any more.

Edited by Kendra1405

17 minutes ago, Megtheblackbelt said:

Old Itinerary:

(Embark) Civitavecchia, Italy > Palermo, Italy > Valletta, Malta > Sea Day > Barcelona, Spain (where we live 😛) > Marseille, France > Portofino, Italy (Disembark)

New Itinerary:

(Embark) Civitavecchia, Italy > Sea Day > Palma de Mallorca, Spain > Barcelona, Spain > Cannes, France > Genoa, Italy > La Spezia, Italy > Civitavecchia, Italy (Disembark)

Pros of New Cruise:

1. 1 extra night at no further cost

2. Embark/disembark from same port, so can book a round-trip flight (flights were not previously booked)

3. La Spezia!

Cons of New Cruise:

1. Loss of visiting Malta (was looking forward to this)

2. Visiting Palma de Mallorca (since I live in Barcelona already, this is of course a super easily accessible/popular spot)

That said, overall, I am happy with the change. The pros of the new cruise outweigh the cons, and I am very stoked to visit Cinque Terre (and have 1 extra night!). The dates of the cruise did shift by 2 days, but thankfully this does not effect us much, as we did not have flights booked previously/are flexible. 🙂 

Ahhh okay that's reassuring, that's our itinerary, but we're sailing from Barcelona. Also that is our itinerary that we had booked, so it doesn't look like Grandiosa is being altered as such. Just more a case of the Virtuosa being altered.

Also yay for La Spezia, I loved Cinque Terre last year, and that was my main reason for settling on this cruise and the opportunity to show it to my family!!

My Virtuosa cruise in March still shows same itinerary including Malta on Grandiosa but now guaranteed cabin but still includes premium drinks package we hot included under original promotion 😀

We had significant changes to our itinerary in February, embarkation port and ports of call, whilst they updated the itinerary we had GTY001 shown as the cabin No. Once they had finished the changes our selected cabin reappeared.

Posted (edited)

How far out they doing the swap?

Looks like until 4/28.

Edited by dexddd

So, I booked a cruise with MSC Virtuosa, on the 26.3.2021, route including Malta and Palermo. Now I got a cruise with  Grandiosa (most famous frozen pizza brand in Norway btw), leaving on the 27th, route changed to Cannes and Palma De Mallorca. 

Rather mayor change I would say.. This is quite far from what I ordered.

Then I called MSC Scandinavia, and ask if they would cover my costs conntected to the change of the cruise start (I need to change hotel dates and flights). Aprox 150 US dollars extra for me. No biggie, but its still money. The answer was as expected no. When I then ask to cancel the cruise, they told me that it would cost 15% of the original cost. Are you kidding me????

When MSC changed the route from Amsterdam to Rotterdam in 2019, I could cancel for free.

So, I am now officially in a dispute with MSC.. Unfortunately for them, they met a stubborn client that knows his way around passengers rights in Norway and EU.. 

2 hours ago, RealNorwegianCruiser said:

When I then ask to cancel the cruise, they told me that it would cost 15% of the original cost. Are you kidding me????

If they tried that in the UK, all we have to do is make a Section 75 or a chargeback claim on our credit card - possibly the only benefit we ever got from the EU lol

had my 3rd set of Booking Confirmation documents in 2 days today lol

They have now allocated our cabin number - it is still in YC but different to our original one so not a deal breaker difference.

We just had a September Royal Caribbean sailing cancelled today so I'm just keen to get on a cruise, any cruise lol

we are upgraded to fantastica inside...but have now a cabin that has a worse location...well...there are bigger problems in the world....

21 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

If they tried that in the UK, all we have to do is make a Section 75 or a chargeback claim on our credit card - possibly the only benefit we ever got from the EU lol

They understood that they did something dumb, so I now got a email confirming that I will be compensated for "such big changes". 

With this kind of wording, I expect a decent compensation. The alternative is to make that email public is social media..

11 hours ago, RealNorwegianCruiser said:

They understood that they did something dumb, so I now got a email confirming that I will be compensated for "such big changes". 

With this kind of wording, I expect a decent compensation. The alternative is to make that email public is social media..

I'd be very interested to know what they'll offer for your changes. We received nothing for our embarkation port changing to a different country and several POC countries being changed to alternative ones.

We had just 2 weeks to rearrange our flights and hotels!