Jump to content

DISCOVERY PRINCESS - CURRENT STATUS??


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, galveston gal said:

Any more scoop?  It’s been a couple months.  We are also on one of the first sailings in early November.   It all feels like a bad dream ;(


In a recent webinar their VP of sales only said they’d be providing updates “soon” but no clue about when. We’re hoping the Discovery gets to it’s LA homeport in Spring 2022 when we have B2B 7-day cruises booked. 🤞🤞 

Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI sea trials are scheduled for June, so keep an eye an out to see if they are going to make that. When the Enchanted rolled out for her trials she was behind schedule because of Covid, but a more streamlined trial approach was taken that was very successful. Apparently they liked it so much that there is talk of using it again. Here is hoping the Discovery is finished on time for all of us that have early sailings on her!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Enchanted for March 13, ship has been built and was handed over to Princess in Sept.  
 

Now the question is will the ships sail??

 

My backup is on the Enchanted which I know is ready if the Discovery is not ready.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks!  I have tried searching on line for information on Discovery and that's the most details I have heard, other than when the bow was delivered several months late. If you have a link to what you read can you please share. We are booked on the Dec 13th cruise and also have an alternate like some have said. Your update sounds great but now with the lockdowns going on in Europe wondering what will happen in Italy and the shipyard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I too am booked on the inaugural sailing. I am fairly certain it will be delayed. I wish Princess could/would confirm that. I'd like to get booking my air, using miles. I have the Panama Canal cruise reserved as an alternate though.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dive Girl said:

I too am booked on the inaugural sailing. I am fairly certain it will be delayed. I wish Princess could/would confirm that. I'd like to get booking my air, using miles. I have the Panama Canal cruise reserved as an alternate though.

 

 

The question about the status of Discovery was asked at their VP of Sales webinar on 1/7/21 & all he could say was it’s still scheduled to be delivered on time & they continue to communicate with Fincantieri for updates.
 

Hopefully your cruise will sail on time & I’m hoping that our Spring 2022 cruises from LA will sail as scheduled. 🤞🤞

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

The question about the status of Discovery was asked at their VP of Sales webinar on 1/7/21 & all he could say was it’s still scheduled to be delivered on time & they continue to communicate with Fincantieri for updates.
 

Hopefully your cruise will sail on time & I’m hoping that our Spring 2022 cruises from LA will sail as scheduled. 🤞🤞

I just booked my air-travel for the Trans-Atlantic on Discovery.  I am trying to be cautiously optimistic.  If it is delayed, I just will amend my travel to sail on the Discovery on a later date. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in contact with my PCC in Sydney and asked the specific question regarding the Discovery.   I was told that she had asked the question of Head Office and would get back to me.   I am NOT holding my breath!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure Carnival Corp, Princess and Fincantieri are doing everything they can to deliver Discovery on time. That said, we are still in a time of immense uncertainty. The ship yard could be closed again by the Italian government, suppliers could deliver essential items late due to reductions in workforce. There are a TON of variables at play and I think it is too early to be demanding answers of Princess that they are simply unable to give at this time. I think end of Q2 or early Q3 is the appropriate time to expect a more conclusive status on delivery. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I’m sure Carnival Corp, Princess and Fincantieri are doing everything they can to deliver Discovery on time. That said, we are still in a time of immense uncertainty. The ship yard could be closed again by the Italian government, suppliers could deliver essential items late due to reductions in workforce. There are a TON of variables at play and I think it is too early to be demanding answers of Princess that they are simply unable to give at this time. I think end of Q2 or early Q3 is the appropriate time to expect a more conclusive status on delivery. 

Well said!

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I’m sure Carnival Corp, Princess and Fincantieri are doing everything they can to deliver Discovery on time.

 

Why?

 

Currently, nearly all cruise ships world wide are anchored, not generating revenue, and burning money.

 

Why would Carnival Corp/Princess have any interest in 'do everything they can' to add another money burner?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

 

Why?

 

Currently, nearly all cruise ships world wide are anchored, not generating revenue, and burning money.

 

Why would Carnival Corp/Princess have any interest in 'do everything they can' to add another money burner?

 

Several reasons:  The newer cruise ships are more economical to operate.  In addition, Princess will have to pay for it....eventually.  By delaying taking it on...if ready...they may incur penalties from the Ship yard...and they would lose money having to cancel cruises.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Several reasons:  The newer cruise ships are more economical to operate.  In addition, Princess will have to pay for it....eventually.  By delaying taking it on...if ready...they may incur penalties from the Ship yard...and they would lose money having to cancel cruises.  

The delays we are concerned about are shipyard delays, so the penalty would not be the issue, maybe a penalty to the builder, but due to Covid being the cause, I would hope not.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Several reasons:  The newer cruise ships are more economical to operate.  In addition, Princess will have to pay for it....eventually.  By delaying taking it on...if ready...they may incur penalties from the Ship yard...and they would lose money having to cancel cruises.  

 

Having to pay penalties for not accepting a completed ship is hardly 'doing everything they can' to speed delivery.

 

If a ship is anchored, burning money, it hardly matters how efficient it is...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, casofilia said:

Remember that Discovery is on a real earner; 50 days Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles starting early in Jan.

It has been my understanding that a longer cruise = less on board spending/pp/day. These cruises attract seasoned passengers that pace themselves for the long haul. Shorter cruises generate more income/day. I had this discussion with a CD and he confirmed my thoughts. However, the Discovery will be a new ship and should be a profitable one. It is also possible, not confirmed at all, that financing could be rearranged in light of the time it will take to recover from the shutdown. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

 

Having to pay penalties for not accepting a completed ship is hardly 'doing everything they can' to speed delivery.

 

If a ship is anchored, burning money, it hardly matters how efficient it is...

 

However, if Discovery is delayed, numerous cruises will be cancelled and that will be a signfiicant loss of income to Princess. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Ponant Cruises & Expeditions - Return to Europe!
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...