Cruising Down Under

Gcto

5 hours ago, flossie009 said:

More depressing news regarding travel to/from Australia

Unfortunately this is the reality and the 2nd wave this fall along with the normal flu will even be worse according to medical experts. If and when we get an effective vaccine is the only way this virus train gets slowed or stopped. We are in for a wild ride until then. I’m sure it’s frustrating for the folks who want to cruise so badly. I for one stopped looking at future cruises until this gets sorted out. I do know where my next cruise will be, just don’t know when it will be. Options for 2020 are gone and probably early 2021 as well. 

• Like 1

Dr. Fauci, reported to be the top expert in the field in the U.S., does not agree that there will necessarily be a 2nd wave this fall.  For all we know, we are going through a second wave right now (or a continuation of the first wave).  

If we look at the world 3 months ago, much has changed so it is certainly possible that it will change again in the next 3 months. Only time will tell if the world will look better or worse by September.  In the meantime, we are not canceling our cruise but are looking for a backup - just in case.

• Like 1

From Dr Fauci:

“When you have 20,000-plus infections per day, how can you talk about a second wave?” said Dr. Anthony Fauci of the National Institutes of Health. “We’re in the first wave. Let’s get out of the first wave before you have a second wave.”

‘In a period of four months, it has devastated the whole world. And it isn’t over yet ... Where is it going to end? We’re still at the beginning of it.’

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Governor of Texas hits 'pause' button - elective surgeries in the four largest counties put on hold again as well.  I wonder if Texas taking actions like this will have more impact for some than what New York, New Jersey, Illinois, etc., have been doing with a somewhat slower reopening schedule.  

Granted, this breakout is US-centric - but I'm sure breakouts like this anywhere are watched carefully by health officials throughout the world.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/25/883311877/texas-governor-hits-pause-on-further-reopening-amid-covid-19-surge

Also, Dr. Gottleib, formerly with the FDA, says no quick solution in sight. Readers of this forum may recognize his name as consulting with NCLH regarding safety protocols to submit to the CDC for approval.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/25/no-quick-fixes-for-coronavirus-spikes-in-florida-texas-gottlieb-says.html

1 hour ago, greykitty said:

Also, Dr. Gottleib, formerly with the FDA, says no quick solution in sight. Readers of this forum may recognize his name as consulting with NCLH regarding safety protocols to submit to the CDC for approval.  

Dr. Gottleib is consulting with everyone.  He has earned more money in last three months than he has in his entire career.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Dr. Gottleib is consulting with everyone.  He has earned more money in last three months than he has in his entire career.

If you know your "stuff", does it really matter how many people/companies that he consults with?  Dr. Fauci was on television almost every day but it did not dilute the important information that he was giving to the public.  Unfortunately, for some people, it fell on deaf ears.   

• Haha 1

Dr Fauci is a Public Servant earning his GS  (or SES) pay.  Dr. Gottlieb is a prostitute talking to anyone that will listen.  He is not with FDA anymore so doesn't have access to anything that isn't released to the public or to the organizations for which he consults.

Marc

51 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Dr Fauci is a Public Servant earning his GS  (or SES) pay.  Dr. Gottlieb is a prostitute talking to anyone that will listen.  He is not with FDA anymore so doesn't have access to anything that isn't released to the public or to the organizations for which he consults.

Marc

Dr Gottlieb Is currently a resident fellow of the conservative thinking American Enterprise Institute. In addition, he is a member of the Board of Directors of Pfizer. 
I am sorry but I would not consider him to be a prostitute. 

Just now, Steve Q said:

Dr Gottlieb Is currently a resident fellow of the conservative thinking American Enterprise Institute. In addition, he is a member of the Board of Directors of Pfizer. 
I am sorry but I would not consider him to be a prostitute. 

My term was too strong; I agree.  Still he keeps being trotted out as an expert by everybody; I imagine his income from Boards of Directors will probably just keep increasing.

Still, I should have used a less pejorative term.

Marc

7 hours ago, mrlevin said:

My term was too strong; I agree.  Still he keeps being trotted out as an expert by everybody; I imagine his income from Boards of Directors will probably just keep increasing.

Still, I should have used a less pejorative term.

Marc

I do agree that Dr. Gottlieb, since his March 2019 resignation from the FDA, has been pretty ubiquitous.  And I agree his income probably hasn't suffered, which comment did make me laugh.  

That said, as far as I can tell, he stays pretty consistent in his statements on COVID-19, reopening of the country, support for the initial lockdowns, and support for universal masking, etc, no matter where he's speaking.  

Of course who in the public knows for sure how deeply he goes into the weeds with his advisory clients, and how much is window dressing.  Dr. Gottlieb doesn't seem IMO one to hedge his advice much to suit tender ears, even if he's being 'paid' for it.  But he seems to be someone who's working for the safety of his country.

That said, I also admire Dr. Fauci no end - I know he received the Medal of Freedom from George W. Bush, and I can only hope he again receives  a future one from a future administration for his unceasing work.

Edited by greykitty