Cruise Critic Community
SM77

BEWARE - Viking 125% FCV for Viking Canceled Cruise

Lew - Also, you might want to consider the Cape May - Lewes Ferry. You take your car from the tip of the NJ shore to the Delaware and can continue to the Chesapeake bridge - tunnel  if you're staying east. Nice boat ride plus saves a lot of driving.

13 hours ago, Squawkman said:

If you're continuing south, you have a lot of choices. Let me know what you're looking for - quiet seclusion, boardwalks, Atlantic City, quaint B&Bs, etc. Asbury Park has undergone a transformation from run down to upscale with tons of restaurants and night spots that cater mostly to millennials. The Jersey shore is approximately 130 miles - not as much as California, but quite a lot - and, like CA, very varied.

13 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Lew - Also, you might want to consider the Cape May - Lewes Ferry. You take your car from the tip of the NJ shore to the Delaware and can continue to the Chesapeake bridge - tunnel  if you're staying east. Nice boat ride plus saves a lot of driving.

Awhile back we did a road trip to Virginia Beach with stops at Rehoboth Beach and Ocean City, MD along the way.  We enjoyed walking the board walks and the beaches and would like to do something like that again.  As far as hotels go, they've run the gamut from some pretty basic on Coastal Maine to some very nice properties in Florida and Hawaii.  Luxury isn't a requirement at the beach: however, something above what we experienced in Maine would be nice.  Lunch at the beach or along the boardwalk would be fine with an option for something nicer for dinner.

We didn't do the ferry last trip, so thank you for the suggestion.  We did drive the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and would likely go that route again.  

In addition to the above, we want to work in driving the Blue Ridge Parkway.  It's been on our bucket list for a long time.

Lew -

I’m going to suggest Ocean City (NJ) as it has what you’re looking for. OC is a dry town - no bars or liquor stores permitted - so the atmosphere is quiet. You can bring your own alcohol for consumption in your room, and there are large liquor stores on the land side of the 9th Street and 34th Street causeways. There are several motels and one grand old style hotel (Flanders) on or near the boardwalk. For dinner in “nicer places”, I suggest driving a few minutes south. There’s the Deauville Inn in Strathmere just over the causeway from the south end of OC as well as other nice seafood restaurants a little further down in Sea Isle City (all of these have full service bars). You can rent bicycles, tenders and surreys which are permitted on the boardwalk before noon. The Music Pier probably will be closed after Labor Day, but it is a nice place to sit for a while in the shade. I believe the boardwalk shops and food are at minimum open weekends. Check out ocnj.us (official website).

Squawkman, I guess fine dining rules out Twisties lol.  Might I suggest The Reeds in Stone Harbor? Beautiful setting and fine dining.

2 minutes ago, retiredman said:

Squawkman, I guess fine dining rules out Twisties lol.  Might I suggest The Reeds in Stone Harbor? Beautiful setting and fine dining.

My NJ shore favorites are the Shrimp Box (Point Pleasant) and the Lobster House (Cape May). Never heard of Twisties. But my all time favorite is still the Lobster Box in City Island (Bronx, NY). Been going there almost 50 years.

1 hour ago, Squawkman said:

Lew -

I’m going to suggest Ocean City (NJ) as it has what you’re looking for. OC is a dry town - no bars or liquor stores permitted - so the atmosphere is quiet. You can bring your own alcohol for consumption in your room, and there are large liquor stores on the land side of the 9th Street and 34th Street causeways. There are several motels and one grand old style hotel (Flanders) on or near the boardwalk. For dinner in “nicer places”, I suggest driving a few minutes south. There’s the Deauville Inn in Strathmere just over the causeway from the south end of OC as well as other nice seafood restaurants a little further down in Sea Isle City (all of these have full service bars). You can rent bicycles, tenders and surreys which are permitted on the boardwalk before noon. The Music Pier probably will be closed after Labor Day, but it is a nice place to sit for a while in the shade. I believe the boardwalk shops and food are at minimum open weekends. Check out ocnj.us (official website).

24 minutes ago, retiredman said:

13 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

My NJ shore favorites are the Shrimp Box (Point Pleasant) and the Lobster House (Cape May). Never heard of Twisties. But my all time favorite is still the Lobster Box in City Island (Bronx, NY). Been going there almost 50 years.

Thank you both for your suggestions.  I will certainly look into everything you mentioned.

Your mention of seafood restaurants has my mouth watering...

15 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

If you have been to the Deauville, Twisties is a stone's throw south on the bay. An old Jersey shore speakeasy, rum running joint from prohibition times. A fun place with fun people, not as well known among the "shoobies".

Retiredman - where in South Jersey do you hail from? I lived in the Trenton area from 1975 - 2010. In 2010, I remarried and moved to my wife’s house in East Brunswick. Both of us were widowed, and tomorrow (6/26) will be our 10th anniversary.

Cinnaminson, along the Delaware, across from northeast Philly. Happy Anniversary!! We enjoy that "Trenton style" DeLorenzos pizza now in Robbinsville whenever possible!

18 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Sounds like the New Jersey thread!

Hi Kent...

I'll take the blame.  I mentioned the Jersey Shore as a road trip stop if we don't cruise this fall.  With everything on hold, there's really not much cruise-related to discuss.

As is everyone here, I'm looking forward to getting back on topic...

I agree this thread has drifted.  
We are successfully using the 125% voucher.