Dealing with "Negative Nelly's" regarding Oct 1st cruise plans

So I am so excited about the possibility of the October 1st cruise b2b. Daydreaming is getting me through some tough days.

Every time I mention my plans to someone they say something negative. "It's too dangerous" You don't need to be traveling right now." "You're crazy." "Why are you spending the money?"

I'm fully aware of the risks. I'm fully aware that my money might be tied up for a while if the cruise is cancelled. I am trying to keep my mouth shut about my plans and might just tell folks I have to go on a business trip to Miami but why can't folks be happy for each other.

Is anyone else dealing with Negative Nelly's?

Candy, you are not alone! We're (hopefully) on that very same Oct1st  B2B! This is not the only place where the nay sayers are lurking....the Regent board is loaded with them, maybe even more so than here. We've got another cruise on the books with Regent on Nov. 6th..Barcelona to Dubai. I think those of us who are booked on anything that comes in the near future must put up with the 
"You'e lost your mind"...sort of response. So like you, we don't discuss it with family, friends, etc. 

Here's hoping that we'll actually get to go and if we don't, we're not looking back!

Linda

You may be right on that.....I still have shell shock from the Regent forum....Holy Moly Andy!

However, as I said, I'm not in any rush to devulge any future cruise plans to friends and family.....they'd probably have us committed!

We would have booked the November Caribbean out of Miami. However, Crystal won’t use fcc for deposits. It’s only 200 deposit but until they post what will be required we are holding off.

Just ignore the negative people. It’s pretty good advice pandemic or not ;)

57 minutes ago, Mwgw said:

We would have booked the November Caribbean out of Miami. However, Crystal won’t use fcc for deposits. It’s only 200 deposit but until they post what will be required we are holding off.

Just ignore the negative people. It’s pretty good advice pandemic or not 😉

I had a $200FCC for a cruise I cancelled earlier this year and I was able to apply it to cover our $200 deposit.

Sorry but you can add me to the “negative nellys” list as well. I don’t see any cruise happening on 1 October

Would I like cruising to be able to resume? Of course I would - as much for the poor crew who are going to hard right now as they’re out of work and have been for months. But we have to be mindful that unless we get this situation under control then the deaths will continue

I say this coming from a region, Australasia, that’s done pretty well at getting things under control but is still seeing a resurgence of cases - and globally the number of cases continues to rise each day 

I would not be getting on a cruise ship in October unless things change dramatically - having said that it appears unlikely our Government will even allow us to travel beyond our borders by that time  

The challenge is it’s not just your decision or life it impacts - the flow on impact to those onboard and ashore are significant 

So maybe the “negative nellys” are just pragmatists who have a concern for your and their future?

25 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Sorry but you can add me to the “negative nellys” list as well. I don’t see any cruise happening on 1 October

Would I like cruising to be able to resume? Of course I would - as much for the poor crew who are going to hard right now as they’re out of work and have been for months. But we have to be mindful that unless we get this situation under control then the deaths will continue

I say this coming from a region, Australasia, that’s done pretty well at getting things under control but is still seeing a resurgence of cases - and globally the number of cases continues to rise each day 

I would not be getting on a cruise ship in October unless things change dramatically - having said that it appears unlikely our Government will even allow us to travel beyond our borders by that time  

The challenge is it’s not just your decision or life it impacts - the flow on impact to those onboard and ashore are significant 

So maybe the “negative nellys” are just pragmatists who have a concern for your and their future?

I disagree that “positive nellys” are not pragmatic or that things most likely will not improve by October. It is all just speculation. Whether you are an optimist or pessimist or pragmatic there is nothing wrong with being enthusiastic And positive about future plans as long as you fully understand the risks involved and recognize that not everything goes the way you planned or hoped but that you have contingent plans.

We are booked for the B2B October 29- November 12, 2020, on Serenity. 
We shall wait and see if we sail. We are not stupid. We realize it is a gamble. We understand the gamble with our deposits and our final payments.
But it’s fun to have something to look forward to beside sitting at home or shopping in full mask gear. 
We have not discussed our travel plans with friends, exactly because we do not need their critiques. So, those of you On CC, who feel the need to tell us why you won’t cruise now, frankly I am not interested. Don’t mean to be rude, but........

sheila

3 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

We are booked for the B2B October 29- November 12, 2020, on Serenity. 
We shall wait and see if we sail. We are not stupid. We realize it is a gamble. We understand the gamble with our deposits and our final payments.
But it’s fun to have something to look forward to beside sitting at home or shopping in full mask gear. 
We have not discussed our travel plans with friends, exactly because we do not need their critiques. So, those of you On CC, who feel the need to tell us why you won’t cruise now, frankly I am not interested. Don’t mean to be rude, but........

sheila

We just booked the same.  I won't tell if you won't!

Edited by flyingshoes

There are a lot of people booked on Serenity in Oct or Nov. I am one if them. I know I will not be in Europe as planned so I booked a bunch of cruises hoping one,two,three go. I will be happy to be fed and watered daily. I do nit care about the ports I just want someone..anyone..to, cook and clean for me.

But we need to remember there are crew still on ship floating off Manila so  Thry still might be enjoying family come fall.

I am happy for my friends to go and explore. 

As for me and my husband, we are waiting at home until the numbers change. Our community is not doing well and too many people are not following recommendations so the numbers are up.  We hope to be back on board safely soon. Only time will tell.

14 hours ago, candycaramel said:

So I am so excited about the possibility of the October 1st cruise b2b. Daydreaming is getting me through some tough days.

Every time I mention my plans to someone they say something negative. "It's too dangerous" You don't need to be traveling right now." "You're crazy." "Why are you spending the money?"

I'm fully aware of the risks. I'm fully aware that my money might be tied up for a while if the cruise is cancelled. I am trying to keep my mouth shut about my plans and might just tell folks I have to go on a business trip to Miami but why can't folks be happy for each other.

Is anyone else dealing with Negative Nelly's?

Best not to mention your plans.

We learned that along time ago.

In our case it was taking world cruises.  Many don't understand why we would want to sail for months at a time.  Some were happy but many said:

I could never do that.

I could never be in a small room for my spouse for that long.

I couldn't be aways from family for so long.

And on and on.

So sometimes it's best not to share travel plans.

I am sure some people will be happy but others won't think it is a good idea and rather than just saying have a great time some will be blunt about their feelings.

Here's hoping your cruise happens and that you have a wonderful time.

Keith

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

In our case it was taking world cruises.  Many don't understand why we would want to sail for months at a time.  Some were happy but many said:

I could never do that.

I could never be in a small room for my spouse for that long.

I couldn't be aways from family for so long.

And on and on.

So sometimes it's best not to share travel plans.

I am sure some people will be happy but others won't think it is a good idea and rather than just saying have a great time some will be blunt about their feelings.

Here's hoping your cruise happens and that you have a wonderful time.

Keith

Similar experiences for us Keith. Many times when I have mentioned, we were doing a long cruise or the World Cruise people would look at me like thinking I am crazy. Some of them have done a short cruise and probably their experience was not so good, but many of them do not even have an idea of what cruising was before Coronavirus. 
I am glad that there are fellow cruisers here, who are looking forward to their next cruise. I am also. Unfortunately my next cruise with the Symphony looks like is going to be cancelled anytime from now.

Ivi

9 hours ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I am happy for my friends to go and explore. 

As for me and my husband, we are waiting at home until the numbers change. Our community is not doing well and too many people are not following recommendations so the numbers are up.  We hope to be back on board safely soon. Only time will tell.

Nice to see you! I hope you are well and so sorry that your repo was cancelled. Take care and hopefully we will cruise together again.

9 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

You are responding to a totally different issue than brought up by OP.

Any habitual cruiser with common sense knows  quiet is good policy.

Booking the October cruises......like buying lottery tickets, a $200 deposit buys a cool state of mind for at least a week.  Crystal's terms are good enough that cancellation could well happen before final payment is due.  If not, and cruise is cancelled after final payment, we'll get to know the feeling of buying a bunch of losing lottery tickets.  Just don't toss the tickets right away.

7 minutes ago, saminina said:

Booking the October cruises......like buying lottery tickets, a $200 deposit buys a cool state of mind for at least a week.  Crystal's terms are good enough that cancellation could well happen before final payment is due.  If not, and cruise is cancelled after final payment, we'll get to know the feeling of buying a bunch of losing lottery tickets.  Just don't toss the tickets right away.

Nope.  I was giving an analogy on why often we don't share plans with others.

It applies to the example I gave and it applies to someone booking a cruise in October whether or not they have a $200.00 or a $5,000 deposit.

Rather than people saying we are happy for the OP knowing the OP is telling them because of excitement booking the cruise they are just giving their own opinion which in this case is not to book the cruise.  I can give you many other analogies.  People are people.  This is what makes the world go around.

Keith

15 minutes ago, saminina said:

Hi, 

I am booked on the seven-day cruise on the Crystal Serenity that is scheduled to depart on October 29. It obviously is a long shot, but I decided that it is worth the gamble. I think that a spacious ship such as the Crystal Serenity with a relatively low passenger capacity is more likely to return to service before the huge ships. However, I have been keeping my cruise plans fairly quiet.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9
56 minutes ago, saminina said:

I'm with you here.  In normal time, sharing travel plan with people is tricky.  People can barely agree to eating at the same restaurant, how can anyone expect anyone else to think like you regarding your travel plan.  

This time around, it is a completely new issue.  Florida is a mess, new peak everyday, and yet, people are willing to fly right into the epicenter and get on the cruise, and then accuse anyone who dare mentioning it negative nelly.  It is puzzling.  

30 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

I'm with you here.  In normal time, sharing travel plan with people is tricky.  People can barely agree to eating at the same restaurant, how can anyone expect anyone else to think like you regarding your travel plan.  

This time around, it is a completely new issue.  Florida is a mess, new peak everyday, and yet, people are willing to fly right into the epicenter and get on the cruise, and then accuse anyone who dare mentioning it negative nelly.  It is puzzling.  

When friends tell me of plans and they are excited  about them even if it’s not for me I stay positive and say I am happy for you.   Now if they are not sure whether or not to travel and ask me my opinion I preface it by saying in the end you should do what you want to do but then I might say if this is me I would do x

To me this applies to most things even before we heard of COVID-19. 

There are times to zip it INHO

Know the difference between when you are asked for an opinion and when you are not is my motto.

Keith