Dealing with "Negative Nelly's" regarding Oct 1st cruise plans

It is certainly up to an individual to decide what risks to their health they are willing to take to travel. I do hope that those who do take a cruise this year, or anytime before there is more protection from the virus, will faithfully follow any preventative protocols that are in place on the ship, ports where you disembark, and airports through which you travel. And that you will prepare to be tested once you return, and self quarantine until you receive a negative result. And to insure that you will be healthy and safe to travel that  you will follow  any protocols in place in your community until your trip

Then please feel free to ignore my posts.  That is your right, just as I have a right to post my opinion.  Being realistic, watching the data, watching the spikes and looking at the areas being effected (sharp rise in FL)  Is somehow construed as offensive to you and being a negative Nelly.  Please do not take into account that TX has rolled back their opening rules and please do not ever watch Dr.Fauci.

4 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Your posting is the reason for this thread. We are not interested in your opinion.... I thought we made that clear!

It’s an open forum - so you’re going to get people both agreeing with you and disagreeing. That’s life....not everyone will agree with you - even on Crystal. The nice thing is that we live in a democracy and on a forum that allows that to happen 

If you don’t like something just scroll on past...

Edited by Stickman1990
8 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

It’s an open forum - so you’re going to get people both agreeing with you and disagreeing. That’s life....not everyone will agree with you - even on Crystal. The nice thing Is that we live in a democracy and on a forum that allows that to happen 

If you don’t like something just scroll on past...

I agree that anyone can post almost anything..... however we try to follow the subject thread. 

8 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I agree that anyone can post almost anything..... however we try to follow the subject thread. 

As Jackson Nicholson once said, "You can't handle the truth"  

10 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

While I agree with your sentiment I’m not sure I’d worry about that too much on here as things seem to just go off topic or even start off topic - you’re really fighting a losing battle on that one I’m afraid

I am hoping I feel safe to drive 2 states away the first of October. This seems daring to me right now. I have to get through the beginning of school which right now scares me.

I think we all hope that things are back to normal come October.

Great topic!  We’ve booked both a local cruise (Regent Mariner LA-LA 7 day Oct 22nd), and one we’d have to fly for (Seabourn Sojourn MIA-SJU 12 day Nov 16).  Told local friends about the Regent one and spurred good discussions and support (if it goes may have some of them joining; driving to port most see as low risk).  Have not mentioned the one we’d need to fly for, in part because that’s the most uncontrolled part of the journey (for us).  I agree on the not over-sharing broadly, but sharing appropriately is a good thing.  

4 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

With all respect, you can live in the land of Buttercups and Rainbows if you wish, but in the next three months;

- Serenity has to get from Port Klang to Miami

- somewhere along the way board both crew and service staff, assuming they can find ports that will allow this

- deal with COVID testing

- provision along the way finding ports that may. or may not welcome them

- bunkering, as above, before heading Trans-Atlantic

- avoid hurricanes (you do realize Sep to early Nov is still hurricane season)

- HOPE the COVID situation in Florida is under control (a HUGE IF at the moment)

- are allowed to actually dock in Miami (see above)

- hope that MIA is even open to allow passengers to fly in

I realize that Crystal is marketing these cruises to the "drive to the port" crowd, and in fairness, I do hope they go, but being objective, there are a lot of obstacles to overcome and expecting people not to comment on them on this board is seriously unrealistic.

44 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

With all respect, you can live in the land of Buttercups and Rainbows if you wish, but in the next three months;

- Serenity has to get from Port Klang to Miami

- somewhere along the way board both crew and service staff, assuming they can find ports that will allow this

- deal with COVID testing

- provision along the way finding ports that may. or may not welcome them

- bunkering, as above, before heading Trans-Atlantic

- avoid hurricanes (you do realize Sep to early Nov is still hurricane season)

- HOPE the COVID situation in Florida is under control (a HUGE IF at the moment)

- are allowed to actually dock in Miami (see above)

- hope that MIA is even open to allow passengers to fly in

I realize that Crystal is marketing these cruises to the "drive to the port" crowd, and in fairness, I do hope they go, but being objective, there are a lot of obstacles to overcome and expecting people not to comment on them on this board is seriously unrealistic.

FWIW, Azamara just laid up 3 ships in Glasgow.  One came from Singapore and bunkered at Salalah and Gibraltar en route. Serenity can do the same assuming that she will head west and transit Suez for Miami.  Manning logistics are probably the trickiest part.

We are driving 300 miles to board her 10/29, hurricanes permitting.

Edited by flyingshoes

On some thread I posted that an O ship is staying in a small port in Maine with no crew allowed off and paying a very handsome fee to the town - same town is now negotiating with NCL to dock one of their ships there for duration.   Great business for small ports in the US.   Maybe Crystal would dock over here also if next cruise in US based.

I really understand the desire of many of us for everything to “go back to normal,” and also understand the desire of cruise lines and their employees to resume their business activities.  However, I am not sure if it is a good idea, strictly from a public health standpoint, for cruising to occur in the unforeseeable future, especially for, but not limited to US based customers.  The risk to individuals taking a cruise is one thing, but just addition of thousands of new cases of this outbreak from this cruise (not just the passengers, but people who get in contact with the passengers, and those who get in contact with them, and so on), if it occurs, will be a serious problem to the society as a whole.  Even if the cruise lines are allowed to do these cruises, and even if the restrictions are not going to prevent you from this cruises, the risk of cruise passengers creating a huge burden to the public health infrastructure remains, unless we come up with magic to get rid of this virus.  The virus does not care what CDC, WHO, or even Crystal thinks.  And the “comfort level” of a potential passenger have no bearing on the actual risk to that individual and the society.  If someone thinks this line or argument is somehow “negative,” I guess we have a much bigger problem.

21 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Your posting is the reason for this thread. We are not interested in your opinion.... I thought we made that clear!

sheila

Ouch. I think it's lala land on cruising this year.. and I said before with prices which are par with main stream cruise companys passenger base my not be quite crystal...

That's just me ..I know your not interested but got it off my chest

I live in a beach commuity in the Southern USA, the fools opened it up for tourists and our COVID rates shot up 100-200%.  You folks who demand your cruises before the pandemic has settled and the cruise lines that enable that magical thinking are placing everyone in danger. 

Here here is it that really important right now ... Remember the Spanish flu (not started in Spain) but I believe san francisco open up things to early and got a second wave...

Believe me I'm I girl glass half full but I think we all have to be a bit realistic right now

As Gloria Estevan said there's always tomorrow to start over again .or arrowsmith dream on dream on ... I'm sorry you will think me a cad...

27 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

Florida just hit another record today.  Bars shut down again.  I hope I am not being negative.  🙂

Well, you know you will be accused of it.  Reality bites as the saying goes.

12 hours ago, cruisr said:

Well, you know you will be accused of it.  Reality bites as the saying goes.

Yet people still are travelling for the 4th of July.

Edited by resistk

I am, I guess, a "negative" only because I won't get to go along!  Poor Nellie-ME.  Enjoy your planning. If plans change, you will at least have had the fun of looking forward to the cruise, which is no small thing these days  IMO.

I’m as negative a nelly as anyone (well, maybe nellier, but that’s a whole different topic lol), but what really frustrates me are the threads where someone is actually trying to ask a legit question on a future voyage, and the entire thread devolves because some less-than-helpful person comes along and pivots the thread with some type of “why are you bothering to ask about [whatever feature or service] because we’re obviously never sailing again” type message.  ...And it’s not something specific to that voyage, it’s just them vomiting their negativity all over other members’ questions, over and over until no one can talk about future sailings.

I’m all for threads where we realistically talk about the challenges with the industry restarting — heaven knows we have an entire forum of them at this point — and everyone knows I haven’t been Pollyanna about the prospects for the industry.  That said, for the sake of all of us, people need to stop projecting all their angst on other members that are happy to look forward to better times and are planning future trips, whenever they may come — especially when they start a different thread with a specific question having nothing to do with the odds of cruising in the future.

=stepping off the soap box so others may use it=

Vince

Back to the original post, many have doubts about a cruise going in October so if you don't want to hear concerns as I mentioned earlier just don't tell anyone.  Often people like to offer their opinions whether solicited or not and whether on a social forum such as CC, FB or just in conversation in a personal conversation.  This is just human nature.

We all have our own opinions and by the way COVID-19 has proved at least in the USA how so many people take different approaches.

For example, we won't eat in a restaurant right now.  I don't care if they have six feet social distance.  I think it is too risky.  Yes some have posted here and on FB and some we know go to restaurants.  Me no way.  Why?  Because I am not convinced that staff is wearing masks before the restaurant opens so I believe if someone is sick there is already droplets in the air.  

I am not going to get into a plane right now.  I don't care if every middle seat is open because the rows are too close and if someone is sick and coughs its could be a problem.

Also science believes the longer you are inside and someone is sick the great the chance you could get sick.  For example, one hour at a venue versus fifteen minutes has a great risk.  Others will be flying.

I won't go in a hotel right now.  Just don't want to take a risk.  Some have posted on this forum they have gone to hotels.

I am going to avoid cities right now because I know not everyone wears a mask.  Some obviously live in cities.

I think for those who want to cruise sooner rather than later booking the October cruises gives them a chance to go.  As I've mentioned on other forums and other threads, the key is flexibility because it may happen and it may not happen.  You have three months to go.  

I was just reading something on CNN which asks the same question to various medical personnel about vacationing including taking flights.  Answers ranged from I'm going, I'm going and taking the following precautions, to I'm not going this year.

If you don't want to get other opinions I would not mention your plans to others knowing some will say great but others would say no way.

I do believe the USA has made major mistakes with respect to addressing COVID-19.  We could have been in a much better place than we are today and to me that is very sad.  Unfortunately, this may have an impact on opening up cruising for cruise ships planning to leave or arrive out of USA ports.  If not for some really dumb mistakes (and I mean dumb) by certain elected officials and if our citizens took this much more seriously than many have, we truly could be in a much better place and you might have gotten a lot of positive responses at this point when sharing your plans.  

Let's hope recent events were a wake up call for those who have taken us to where we are now.  

Keith