Dealing with "Negative Nelly's" regarding Oct 1st cruise plans

I am going on my third road trip since June 19 on Sunday.  I am in a state with low positivity and we are not subject to quarantine anywhere in the lower 48.  I only travel to states that have the desirable positivity rate of below 5.  I am discovering lots of places within 3-4 hour drive of our home that I have never visited.  Lots of great restaurant finds and everything is open where I am traveling.  I do miss cruising but have found a good substitute to find new places and new adventures.

Some respond to reality & others wish their life away..the facts about the current  GLOBAL PANDEMIC & the problems w both elderly passengers & ships makes for an easy decision not to cruise until there is some resolution.

Add to it the idea of cruising in the Caribbean during hurricane season is just plain crazy.  Someone even posted here that Crystal was scheduling Oct/Nov cruises not  for the money.  That's a first...a for profit corporation operating just for fun. Someone's hair dye has hit their brain.

Edited by Rotterdam
On 7/31/2020 at 2:17 PM, cruisr said:

I am going on my third road trip since June 19 on Sunday.  I am in a state with low positivity and we are not subject to quarantine anywhere in the lower 48.  I only travel to states that have the desirable positivity rate of below 5.  I am discovering lots of places within 3-4 hour drive of our home that I have never visited.  Lots of great restaurant finds and everything is open where I am traveling.  I do miss cruising but have found a good substitute to find new places and new adventures.

Where is such a haven that you are describing?

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

The entire Northeast.  

I am not close to any where worth traveling to.... 😞 

That is definitely a benefit of the Northeast!

Edited by Coral
1 hour ago, resistk said:

Until they come back from Florida.

And they will have to quarantine for two weeks.  i do hope that people will be responsible.

Actually its so wierd because everybody I know that has a home in FL has been back in the NE since April/May so not sure who would be coming back anyway.

We did a Tauck Tour of the Northeast from NYC to upstate, Lake Placid, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and more during the fall season many years ago.  A fabulous trip worth driving.

We also love the Northwest

11 minutes ago, syc2021 said:

Latest weekly crew video tour onboard the worlds largest!! Some of you may enjoy..

Never been on a ship that size but did bring a little tear to my eye😢 so so sad what ever cruise line we enjoy..I have just watched on YouTube someone posted two royal Caribbean cruise ships in Southampton( not far from my home town) ..one leaving was the majesty of the seas sounding the horn to the allure of the seas  😞 

On 8/4/2020 at 5:56 PM, cruisr said:

And they will have to quarantine for two weeks.  i do hope that people will be responsible.

Actually its so wierd because everybody I know that has a home in FL has been back in the NE since April/May so not sure who would be coming back anyway.

I don’t know that too many people from the North rush to Florida in the summer for that heat and humidity. It’s more of a winter bird destination.

On 8/7/2020 at 11:44 AM, ChatKat in Ca. said:

Sorry to say, I cancelled my 2022 Cruise until I have more information as to what the experience will be.

I am wondering if 15 months from now is too soon....... For both of us, I hope our travel plans in 2022 go on normally. I am already to put 2020 behind me.

21 minutes ago, resistk said:

Slightly off topic but not really, I wonder what will happen after the Sturgis Rally 2020?  Might set US travel and tourism back another 6 months, if it becomes super spreader event.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/coronavirus-concerns-kicked-to-curb-as-sturgis-motorcycle-rally-in-south-dakota-draws-tens-of-thousands/ar-BB17KRzN

This is utter insanity. And there is no mask law in South Dakota either. All bars open, no social distancing. My 91 year old mother lives 60 miles from Sturgis in a retirement community.  Right now they are all healthy but she isn’t allowed to leave and nobody, including her family, can visit her. She goes in the garage and starts her car to keep the battery charged. She gave up her 4-days a week museum volunteering job. Meanwhile others party. It is so selfish.

Edited by Cruise-y
56 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is Sturgis????

A small town in South Dakota. This motorcycle rally is apparently an annual event. I read elsewhere that 500,000 people attended last year's event!

7 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

A small town in South Dakota. This motorcycle rally is apparently an annual event. I read elsewhere that 500,000 people attended last year's event!

Correct.  The Black Hills are beautiful so they ride all over the place, not just Sturgis. Mount Rushmore, Badlands, state parks, etc. They pack the hotels and bars, have live bands performing everywhere. A big massive party of drunks mashed together for weeks. No masks required.

Edited by Cruise-y
16 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

Saw somewhere that they are expecting "only" 250,000 this year! 🙄😜

Patty

6 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Saw somewhere that they are expecting "only" 250,000 this year! 🙄😜

Patty

And when you consider that the entire population of South Dakota is just over 850,000.......😲 I guess we can start looking for South Dakota to start creeping up the COVID-19 infection charts in about a week's time!