23 ships that could be laid-up, sold or scrapped

Florida has many ports that can be enlarged (besides PortMiami, Port Everglades and Port Canaveral) to accommodate larger ships.  It has been discussed in the past, but now with the current situation not sure there will be any further consideration anytime soon.

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 5.08.27 PM.png

On 6/29/2020 at 7:44 PM, John&LaLa said:

Tampa, like Baltimore, is easily replaced with better ports only a few hours away

Baltimore is an excellent port.  We travel to baltimore inner harbor several times a year to catch up with friends that work in DC.  love the area and Imo baltimore is the easiest port to get on and off cruise ships.  Quickest of all the ones we have done.  

I knew the age of serenade and jewel but I think they have been very well maintained and i will be very upset the day they leave the rcl fleet.  Grandeur was our very first sailing with rcl.  I think it was a 10 or 12 night southern Caribbean out of baltimore.  

I have sailed on her many times and always had a great time but she has been showing signs of her age.  I was to happy to see pullmanter picked her up instead of going to scrap yard but scrap yard just may happen sooner than some may like.

I did not know age of adventure that surprises me too.

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Not as limited as Baltimore, from what I've noticed.

And Tampa also has very limited itineraries,  and is only seasonal for the most part

Out of Baltimore we've done Southern, Eastern, Western Caribbean, Mexico, Bahamas, East Coast from FL to Maine, Canada, and Bermuda.   Only had to go to FL to do the ABC islands.  We love the 2-3 sea days we get on each end of the trip and Baltimore is the easiest port we've ever been out of.  Quick parking, check in and boarding. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Florida has many ports that can be enlarged (besides PortMiami, Port Everglades and Port Canaveral) to accommodate larger ships.  It has been discussed in the past, but now with the current situation not sure there will be any further consideration anytime soon.

Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 5.08.27 PM.png

Palm Beach is used by that Paradise line

Look, I'm not saying Baltimore and Tamp aren't fabulous places to cruise from, it's just that the markets they serve can be covered with existing nearby ports. If the fleet is going to shrink, they are redundant.

It's not like I'm saying abandon Cape Liberty or Galveston.

9 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

They said they preferred the smaller ships so it sounds like a good fit!

Well, they were asking about Royal from what I surmised.

Isn't 4 ports in one state a bit of overkill for Royal 😉

Edited by John&LaLa

5 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I thought I remembered them mentioning Disney also but maybe not. In any event, I didn't see where they said they were only asking about Royal.

Edited by time4u2go

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

I thought I remembered them mentioning Disney also but maybe not. In any event, I didn't see where they said they were only asking about Royal.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Yes, again I was asking about the Royal fleet and toss sister line Celebrity in there. PC is not a good option for us currently due to the ships as I think only the giants my wife will likely never set foot on sail out of, which is a bummer because we love PC. If Royal dumps all of the small ships like Brilliance, Adventure, etc we may need to find a different line that kept smaller ships. The reference to Disney is they may have the only smaller ship sailing out of PC in the Magic right now. I don't include NCL and CCL because they aren't options for us. Maybe if they keep the Adventure they could bring it up to PC for a spell.

My wife does like the Freedom sized ships as well but that is her max so hopefully they keep some of those around. Just having been on the Adventure it would seem a waste to scrap that ship. Honestly I would scrap the freedom class with their lack of elevators, if I remember they only had 2 banks, and could have used one in the middle. I guess time will tell, but if lines push the giant ships down our throats we will be out of the cruising game. Hopefully Celebrity will keep the Edge class around as the first two are smaller ships.

I kind of gave up on the discussion and did other things for a bit, didn't realize you all kept it going.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Look, I'm not saying Baltimore and Tamp aren't fabulous places to cruise from, it's just that the markets they serve can be covered with existing nearby ports. If the fleet is going to shrink, they are redundant.

Same can be said about Port of Miami / Port Everglades.

Heck, they are practically on top of each other.  Which one should get the boot?

16 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Heck, they are practically on top of each other.  Which one should get the boot?

Whooaa!!  If you go by that, check to see how far Bayonne is from NYC (much closer than MIA and FLL) and which one should be booted out? 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Whooaa!!  If you go by that, check to see how far Bayonne is from NYC (much closer than MIA and FLL) and which one should be booted out? 

As far as I know, Royal departs from Bayonne only, so there is no redundancy there. Both can remain open.

But I'm not the one that wants to close ports.  That's John's argument. Smaller fleets means less ports are needed. And since MIA and FLL are practically mirror images of each other so......

12 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

As far as I know, Royal departs from Bayonne only, so there is no redundancy there. Both can remain open.

But I'm not the one that wants to close ports.  That's John's argument. Smaller fleets means less ports are needed. And since MIA and FLL are practically mirror images of each other so......

Okay but other cruise lines operate out of PortMiami and Port Everglades -- not just Royal.  One cruise line doesn't get to decide on redundancy issues to suit themselves.  So both PortMiami and Port Everglades can remain open.  

• Like 1

Do I see people advocating for or suggesting Port Liberty be abandoned or something? Don't be trying to close the port that is 30 minutes from my house. Where is this talk coming from?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Boot Port Canaveral, I'd love to get my town back.😉😇

In the case of Miami/Port Everglades, there is just to much infrastructure to walk away from.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Do I see people advocating for or suggesting Port Liberty be abandoned or something? Don't be trying to close the port that is 30 minutes from my house. Where is this talk coming from?

It all started because a question came up that if Royal sold off the small ships, Baltimore and Tampa won't be available due to bridge restrictions. I said those ports are redundant, no big deal. If anything I advocated for adding capacity at Pt Liberty😉

@cgolf1 FWIW, Aventure is not in a Vision or Radiance Class ship. It is a Voyager Class, same as Mariner which sails from PC. Freedom Class has the same elevator layout as Voyager Class, just more people

Edited by John&LaLa

It all started because a question came up that if Royal sold off the small ships, Baltimore and Tampa won't be available due to bridge restrictions. I said those ports are redundant, no big deal. If anything I advocated for adding capacity at Pt Liberty[emoji6]

@cgolf1 FWIW, Aventure is not in a Vision or Radiance Class ship. It is a Voyager Class, same as Mariner which sails from PC. Freedom Class has the same elevator layout as Voyager Class, just more people
Whew ok great. I agree more capacity at Port Liberty. [emoji1787] We were so freaking excited when Oasis was coming here, booked it almost immediately. Cancelled in May, cancelled I'm Sept. Praying for August 2021 to sail now. [emoji120]

It would be interesting to see how many would be in favor of ditching the larger ships instead of the smaller sips. While I totally understand it won't happen, I wouldn't mind seeing the Oasis class made smaller and they keep the smaller ships. Also wish the new builds would include some smaller ships too. One can dream I guess. Assuming profit margins are driving the bigger ships vs the smaller ships.

36 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

It would be interesting to see how many would be in favor of ditching the larger ships instead of the smaller sips. While I totally understand it won't happen, I wouldn't mind seeing the Oasis class made smaller and they keep the smaller ships. Also wish the new builds would include some smaller ships too. One can dream I guess. Assuming profit margins are driving the bigger ships vs the smaller ships.

I think for smaller ships you will have move to Azamara or Celebrity in the future 

at least your status will follow you 

they really should roll the loyalty status under one umbrella for all their cruise lines