Expiring USA passport

Is it a Crystal rule, or US law that requires six months remaining validity from ending date of cruise?   Can't register online because dates conflict.  Looks like they have not been doing passport renewals since March.

2 minutes ago, saminina said:

Is it a Crystal rule, or US law that requires six months remaining validity from ending date of cruise?   Can't register online because dates conflict.  Looks like they have not been doing passport renewals since March.

It's actually a generally accepted travel industry policy. Levels of enforcement vary widely, in some countries it is mandatory, others not so much. For the EU three months after your return is actually mandatory. Most/all cruise lines are pretty sticky about the six months though. Given the known problems with passport renewals in most countries, if you/your TA call Crystal there may be an exception.

Passport renewals just restarted but it will be months before anyone get their passport back. It will be processed in the order the passports were sent in, in chronological order.

Go to the USA Passport site for further information on renewals and passport validity for returning to the USA. 

My general rule of thumb, for my passport, I renew it one year before it expires.

Good luck.

Kate

26 minutes ago, saminina said:

Thanks Roland....TA has not been her normal self in responding.  Understandable and thought others might be facing same situation.

Technically and legally, a passport is valid until the day it expires so as long as the expiry is after your return date, they may make an exception. Unfortunately I don't have any clients departing between now and next February so I have no first hand knowledge. I am sure someone here will have run into this problem.

1 hour ago, saminina said:

When is your departure?

Oct 1 for two weeks.  December 2 for two weeks.  Expires February 2021.

Checked renewal website three days ago and they said only renewals for life and death situations.    Am not in panic mode, but would like for Crystal to lift the lock on their demand for six months before expiration date, given current situation. 

It is not only Crystal.  Many countries require 3-6 months remaining on passport.  Check the countries your cruise is visiting, and if none are 6 months, you may have be able to get Crystal to change policy.

Also,  some passport renewal locations are renewing passports for expedited fees in a day or 2.  Just had a friend renewed her passport in DC in one day.  Not life or death.  Also check visa/passport services   For a fee they may be able to expedite your passport.  I use Gen Visas frequently.  Good Luck. 

As someone posted, I just read that passport renewals are now normalizing -- although with the uptick in cases who knows how long that will last.

I have used expedited services for visas many times when I could not take a chance on relinquishing my passport because of an upcoming trip.  Worth every penny.

13 hours ago, saminina said:

Checked renewal website three days ago and they said only renewals for life and death situations.    Am not in panic mode, but would like for Crystal to lift the lock on their demand for six months before expiration date, given current situation. 

I just checked and think you are reading it wrong.

It says:

You can apply at an acceptance facility or renew by mail now, but unless you have a life-or-death emergency, you will experience delays before receiving your passport and the return of your citizenship documents such as previous passports, and birth and naturalization certificates.

As I mentioned I would have your TA contact Crystal Document Services on this.  If you do need the passport renewed after they discuss this then apply for it.  You do have three months.

Also, this is one of those occasions where you House of Representative Office can be a big help to you.  They are very effective at getting passports expedited.

Keith

17 hours ago, saminina said:

Just put a phony date in the the PCPC, go about making your reservations and correct it when you get your renewed numbers. 

5 hours ago, latsyrc said:

Just put a phony date in the the PCPC, go about making your reservations and correct it when you get your renewed numbers. 

That's precisely what I did to make my dinner reservations. I will change the information once I receive my new passport . I'll be applying for it in September.

Good info on extending date to make reservations.  Wasn't sure it would work......now we know.

On the Caribbean route, it seems Antigua is the one spot that rejects a passport short of six month expiry.