Anyone remember skeet shooting off the back of a cruise ship?

PTC DAWG

• We were headed back to Tampa from Cozumel, had to stop the skeet shooting due to a Navy Vessel overtaking us fairly closely..defunct cruise line, name escapes me...now I have to look that up..

I also remember skeet shooting off the back of the ship It was either MTS Jason in the greek islands about 1970 or Song of America in the Carrabean RCCL in around 1980.

Do you remember the midnight buffets every night with one grand buffet on every cruise?. Also the parade by the waiters carrying baked Alaska in the main dining room.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was on my first cruise 53 years ago. I don’t remember skeet shooting off the back of the ship. But I had my first taste of alcohol, and I was less than half your age. Mother did NOT approve. 😁

We were supposed to be on NCL's Starward in 1977 to celebrate our  Honeymoon, but it ended up in dry dock and they moved us to the Skyward. Didn’t drink beer, still don’t. But come to think of it, there was Skeet shooting off the back of the ship!

23 minutes ago, dabear said:

Do you remember the midnight buffets every night with one grand buffet on every cruise?. Also the parade by the waiters carrying baked Alaska in the main dining room.

Remember all of those things very well. I also remember on my first cruise that there was no such thing as room service. I don’t recall any causal lido dining either. We had three seatings (meals) a day in the MDR. After fifteen minutes the doors shut so be on time. Dress code was never spoken nor did it need to be. A lot has changed.🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:
  • We were headed back to Tampa from Cozumel, had to stop the skeet shooting due to a Navy Vessel overtaking us fairly closely..defunct cruise line, name escapes me...now I have to look that up..

So what happened to "the lack of a quality BOURBON selection on board...or the topless decks way up top that are now gone...mid night chocolate buffet MIA"? :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dabear said:

I remember that well--great times .

Now, the waiters sing ( ???? ) " We are the world " --- Our Cruise Director even told us why, because we would never figure it out.

( Because there are Staff from all over the world ) .

And, about skeet shooting , never done it--- Canadians do not have the " right to bear arms " .

Ah! Midnight buffets! Baked Alaska on Parade! Wasn’t that known as ‘the good old days’?

As for skeet shooting, my wife proved to be an expert shot when we were on Carnival’s Mardi Gras in the early 90’s. Even got photos showing her prowess.

Edited by Crown Vic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

SS Norway in 1995. My BIL made a lot of $$$ betting on me skeet shooting.  I still have the small trophy I won. 

We were fortunate to sail on the Norway too. That was an interesting experience. Originally the SS France, she was one of the last great Ocean Liners. NCL kept her Art Deco interiors in the staterooms. We never did  participate in  Skeet shooting though.

• Like 1

I've been cruising since 1977 and remember skeet shooting,hitting golf balls , no speciality restaurants, officers dining together in the main dinninroo,no balconies, very tiny cabins. Must say that cruising is better today

Although I wish.they still had the desert trays.

8 minutes ago, Orator said:

I've been cruising since 1977 and remember skeet shooting,hitting golf balls , no speciality restaurants, officers dining together in the main dinninroo,no balconies, very tiny cabins. Must say that cruising is better today

Although I wish.they still had the desert trays.

OMG... the desert trays on X..! We would order 1 desert each, but the waiters would bring multiple options based on our reactions to the selections. Thank goodness our metabolisms were working at optimal levels of efficiency! It was fun while it lasted. We would never be able to do that today.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Dress code was never spoken nor did it need to be. A lot has changed

Agree-- So much has changed.

I suppose we can re-visit the dress code for the umpteenth time, however, I don't think it's necessary to listen to the " I have MY rights "  BS from several CC posters. It's really too bad that the Cruise Lines do not enforce their rules.

Just wait until cruising starts up again with more restrictions in place.

I don't know why, but, I keep thinking of that ' Goof ' wearing his cowboy hat in Murano and wherever he wanted to be recognized.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I do not recall skeet shooting.  But I have seen golf balls being hit from the back of a ship.  These days the environmental issues probably prohibit these activities!

As I mentioned on the other thread, I thought it was a waste of perfectly good golf balls! It was amazing all of the things we did back then that undoubtedly contributed to polluting the seas.