Anyone remember skeet shooting off the back of a cruise ship?

PTC DAWG

First cruise was on NCL Seaward in 1989.  Skeet shooting off the back of the ship.  Golf balls too.  Flaming baked Alaska on the waiters heads in the dining room.  We sat at a table with some of the entertainers as we had the lowest, cheapest room on board.  We were in an inside all the way forward by the anchor on deck 2. We sure knew when we were coming into port.  The room was about 100 sq ft.   

I remember lining up for dinner, a tiny pool, the midnight buffet.  It was also our first time to snorkel.  We stopped at their private island, Cozumel and Jamaica. In Jamaica the DH was threatened by a local so it wasn’t any safer back then.  Everyone shook hands with the captain at dinner on formal night and had their picture taken with him.  We got a list of passenger names. We were young and thought we were among rich people. I worked every weekend for a year for a bonus to take that trip.  We got bit by the cruise bug. 

I've been cruising a long time...surprised to see several others on this thread who remember sailing on the Emerald Princess. She was my first ship, back in the early 1970s as a kid....

Anyway, this inspired me to put together a fun list of true (and nearly true) things I remember from cruising "back when".

I've been cruising since:

• there were no televisions in cabins
  • dinner chimes were used to call you to the dining room
  • Caribbean islands were true tropical paradises -- no chain stores, restaurants or bars
  • there was no dedicated buffet (sometimes buffets were set up on tables around the pool deck, or in the dining room at midnight...
  • there was no onboard spa
  • the gym came complete with one of those "vibrating belt" hip reducing machines
  • dining room service was "white glove" with waiters bringing and serving sides at table; salads were dressed at table; and there were table-side preparations such as pasta or crepes suzette
  • Michel Roux's changes to cruise dining were considered revolutionary (and hated by some)
  • shore excursions were decidedly amateur (one of ours was a ride in the back of a pickup truck to the "drive in" volcano in St. Lucia)
  • skeet shooting was popular; on the other hand, children were so unpopular that any unattended ones were used as skeet
  • passenger lists on Trans-Atlantic voyages came with a copy of DeBrett's peerage so you could figure out who you were sailing with
  • passengers in steerage were contractually obligated to row if there was engine trouble 

16 hours ago, LuAnn said:

Loved the skeet shooting...in the 70s on NCL ships...Seaward, Sunward, Sundward I think if I remember the names right? It' HAS been awhile!!! 🙂

Seaward started sailing in 1988 if I remember correctly we sailed her during first month, many of the ships had skeet shooting and driving golf balls in 70’s for many years. I loved ncl back in those days, I sailed Norway 7 times and seaward 6 last couple after name change to ncl sea. Seaward was my girlfriend’s first cruise we have our 29th anniversary tomorrow.

Edited by George C

Our first cruise was back in 87 or 88 and was with Carnival cruise lines on the Carnivale and was a 3 night Bahama cruise. I do remember the servers coming into the main dining room with Baked Alaska, Also each night they were dressed in a different theme. And yes, I remember the midnight buffet with the ice carvings along with the fruit carvings. Can't say I ever remember skeet though.

Edited by lastchamp64

Now this brings back some fun memories.  I LOVED skeet shooting off the back of the ship! It was so much fun.....
of course so were the wooden horse racing, the midnight buffet, the chocolate extravaganza etc etc etc. 

Who would have ever imagined back then that one day there would be rock

climbing, ice skating, ropes courses, car racing etc. 

Wow things have changed over the years and not all the changes are for the better IMHO.