RC flat out lying to us-what to do?

Looking for advice. We're set to sail on March 14. On March 13 we're at the airport checking luggage and family starts calling to tell us cruises have been cancelled. I have a website that shows a news article dated March 13 4:33pmEDT discussing the cancellation of all cruises. Our flight was for an hour later, we never boarded. We call the TA who says she hasn't heard about cruise cancellations but calls RC to verify. Comes back on the line 15 min later and says yes, the cruise is cancelled. We can choose refund or 125% FCC. We choose the FCC. When the FCC finally arrives it's for only 100%. Royal says it was WE who cancelled, not them, therefore we aren't eligible for the extra 25%. I have an email from Royal that arrived the night the cruise was cancelled that stated we will receive 125%. The TA sent me an email later that same day that stated we will get 125%. Our TA is on our side and has escalated it to a higher level at Royal without success. TA is trying to figure out what they can do for us but at this point I would rather have a refund. If I fill out the form for the refund do I stand a chance at getting it? Is it worth a shot even though we agreed to the FCC? I've heard conflicting information on whether we can change our mind or not.

As a side note, we tried to cancel the day before all this went down but were told we missed the deadline. We were told by RC either we sail or we lose all our money. So based on their own logic if "we" cancelled then we shouldn't have gotten ANY credit, much less 100%. It all sounds fishy to me.

19 minutes ago, GM1999 said:

Looking for advice. We're set to sail on March 14. On March 13 we're at the airport checking luggage and family starts calling to tell us cruises have been cancelled. I have a website that shows a news article dated March 13 4:33pmEDT discussing the cancellation of all cruises. Our flight was for an hour later, we never boarded. We call the TA who says she hasn't heard about cruise cancellations but calls RC to verify. Comes back on the line 15 min later and says yes, the cruise is cancelled. We can choose refund or 125% FCC. We choose the FCC. When the FCC finally arrives it's for only 100%. Royal says it was WE who cancelled, not them, therefore we aren't eligible for the extra 25%. I have an email from Royal that arrived the night the cruise was cancelled that stated we will receive 125%. The TA sent me an email later that same day that stated we will get 125%. Our TA is on our side and has escalated it to a higher level at Royal without success. TA is trying to figure out what they can do for us but at this point I would rather have a refund. If I fill out the form for the refund do I stand a chance at getting it? Is it worth a shot even though we agreed to the FCC? I've heard conflicting information on whether we can change our mind or not.

As a side note, we tried to cancel the day before all this went down but were told we missed the deadline. We were told by RC either we sail or we lose all our money. So based on their own logic if "we" cancelled then we shouldn't have gotten ANY credit, much less 100%. It all sounds fishy to me.

Those people that were on the initial sailings that were cancelled by aRoysl have until Dec 31, 2021 to opt in for a refund

BUT

if Royal is saying that you only have a 100%  FCC they are saying that you cancelled in which case you are not eligible for a refund. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GM1999 said:

As a side note, we tried to cancel the day before all this went down but were told we missed the deadline. 

Sounds like that attempted cancellation did go through. BTW, don't wait 3+ months to address an issue.

Sorry GM1999, but, your money has been used to pay for someone else’s refund.  Not mine as I’m still waiting for refunds & FCC’s about 50 days now & counting.

The sooner Royal gives me my refunds & FCC’s the quicker I can get off this RC CC board as it is very depressing.  Unfortunately, the FCC ties me into Royal, so I feel compelled to book one more cruise with them.

Biker19, I didn't wait 3 months. Every time I tried to call asking about it I was given the dollar amount equal to 125% and assured it was there. I didn't even receive the actual FCC email from RC for the final person until TODAY. It was only when I received the first FCC that I saw the money was off.

3 minutes ago, GM1999 said:

Biker19, I didn't wait 3 months. Every time I tried to call asking about it I was given the dollar amount equal to 125% and assured it was there. I didn't even receive the actual FCC email from RC for the final person until TODAY. It was only when I received the first FCC that I saw the money was off.

They made many mistakes with the first few batches of FCC’s.  Your TA needs to keep escalating this.  Have them try through their strategic account manager. 

42 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They made many mistakes with the first few batches of FCC’s.  Your TA needs to keep escalating this.  Have them try through their strategic account manager. 

@GM1999

I would have to agree with @Ourusualbeach - we cancelled on March 10th and we just received out 50% FCC today. It took 4 supervisor calls with our bigbox TA before they finally completed it today. 

The big hang up was because 'we' cancelled before this new version of the CWC program, no one at RC could figure out how to process our transaction, even today, they told our TA that they couldn't send us an email confirm with our FCC, but they allowed him to apply it to our already booked future cruise. They told him, that if we wanted to use our FCC at a later date, we would just call the normal line and just give the pervious booking number and they would see the FCC. Not trusting that 100%, I just had them apply it now.

I wish you best of luck, but RCCL customer service is not very good. 

5 hours ago, GM1999 said:

Sounds like when you got your TA involved, they called RCCL and "made sure that the cruise was cancelled" by telling RCCL that you were not coming. That constitutes a cancellation you initiated. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Sounds like when you got your TA involved, they called RCCL and "made sure that the cruise was cancelled" by telling RCCL that you were not coming. That constitutes a cancellation you initiated. 

Bingo, I second this.  Your TA’s call may have triggered this.  Probably a misunderstanding but this may be the culprit.

This happened to my son.  Pretty much exact same thing.  They were to leave Saturday am for PR.  Cruises were cancelled the evening before.  I saw it first on Cruise critic and called him.  It was then posted on the website.  He saw it and called to ask if was canceled.  They agreed.  As he got off the phone the email notification came thru that it was cancelled.  

He choose the FCC originally. Mid April he decides he wants the money back.  Called and thought it was being processed.  Three weeks ago he calls to check up how much longer. They then say he cancelled before it was official and he’s not getting his money back.  No one said anything like that in April.  He asks for the call to be reviewed.  Waits 10 more days, no one calls him back.  Calls again this week.  Finally talks to someone who does their job, reviews the wording of the call.  Calls him back and says yes we will process the refund, it was coded wrong. Now he waits months more for money that should have been refunded months ago.  

Keep calling.  He’s happy for the outcome but also angry that Royal give him such a run around.  His spouse was laid off this week so they can use the money.  

After 35 cruises on Royal we’ve always been treated well and fairly on board.  But dealing with corporate is not about making you happy.  It’s about the bottom line and how they see it.

• Like 1

I'm having a similar issue and posted about it, initially I thought my TA mistakenly asked for a refund, but after going up to supervisors and up the chain of command, it looks like they automatically refunded it. Ironically , the sailing I was on (they announced on board were all getting refunds) which should have been refunded in April has still not been refunded in cash or fcc. I'm still missing a few hundred dollars from the refund they did give me.  I know they will make it right, but I also know I'm going to have to keep calling until I get a manager or other senior level person who can fix it.

Their own rules make what they said impossible, as you can't get a refund in cash/credit back to the card if you cancelled, but you don't get an FCC 25%, only 100%.  You may ask for compensation for their mess up, but who knows what and if they will. I know once the cash refund hits your card it is a nightmare as I am dealing with the same thing. 

Sorry not so helpful, but just keep escalating the issue at your TA and with RCCL.

Please explain why posters are having so many issues with TA booked cruises and refunds.  I always book directly with cruise line Royal or Celebrity.  I had April 9 cruise canceled by Royal on March 17 and had every penny of my money back by the end of April.  My June 12 cruise was canceled by Royal on May 20 +/- and I had excursions, dining package and cruise refunded in full with no issues at all.  I took the refund as I had already decided to book 2021 replacement cruises with Celebrity.  I do not plan to book any excursions until the cruise lines begin sailing again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Please explain why posters are having so many issues with TA booked cruises and refunds.  I always book directly with cruise line Royal or Celebrity.  I had April 9 cruise canceled by Royal on March 17 and had every penny of my money back by the end of April.  My June 12 cruise was canceled by Royal on May 20 +/- and I had excursions, dining package and cruise refunded in full with no issues at all.  I took the refund as I had already decided to book 2021 replacement cruises with Celebrity.  I do not plan to book any excursions until the cruise lines begin sailing again.

IMHO...you were lucky. I know many who booked direct and are still waiting and waiting and waiting for refunds and others who used a TA and got refunds without the long wait.  There appears to be no rhyme or reason as to how refunds are processed. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

IMHO...you were lucky. I know many who booked direct and are still waiting and waiting and waiting for refunds and others who used a TA and got refunds without the long wait.  There appears to be no rhyme or reason as to how refunds are processed. 

The rhyme or reason is "the competence of the person processing the request" and their ability to navigate the RCL programs that handle the finances. So far as a group the department is failing, which may be a reflection of how corporate handles customer money to begin with.

There are, however, those who are doing things "correctly" the first time around.

It's really just rolling the dice until you get someone in the second category.

On 6/25/2020 at 4:58 AM, rvdnsx said:

Bingo, I second this.  Your TA’s call may have triggered this.  Probably a misunderstanding but this may be the culprit.

I would not be surprised that if the TA's call was not directed by the OP. They now regret it. And now want to change the fact that they pulled the trigger too soon. 

4 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

The rhyme or reason is "the competence of the person processing the request" and their ability to navigate the RCL programs that handle the finances. So far as a group the department is failing, which may be a reflection of how corporate handles customer money to begin with.

There are, however, those who are doing things "correctly" the first time around.

It's really just rolling the dice until you get someone in the second category.

But we....as the customer....have no hand in "rolling the dice" or in knowing in what order, if any, refunds are being processed. 

• 2 weeks later...