Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, NeilonBoard said:

Is there a round Australia planned around September 2021? (doesn't have to be Sapphire) If so can you Lift and Shift before before final payment payment is due.

It hasn't been announced yet. Hopefully they' release them around 15th July. I'd like to shift the Round Australia to Oct 21 and shift the Sept 21 Hawaii/Tahiti cruise we have booked to early 2022. Unfortunately Princess doesn't have a Lift and Shift deal but I'd want to change cabin type regardless - we're booked in an inside on Sapphire but don't want an inside on Sea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is wrong with an inside cabin on Princess Sea and why is the same alright on Sapphire?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, drsel said:

What is wrong with an inside cabin on Princess Sea and why is the same alright on Sapphire?

Essentially the cabin size.

 

The inside cabins on Sea are very small, 135 sq ft, and the only way the furniture works is if the beds are in twin configuration. The chest of drawers becomes a bedside table between the beds unit in twin configuration, in queen configuration it is along one side and there are no bedside tables so nowhere to put glasses, kindle, water etc except on the floor. Plus the access to one side of the bed in queen mode is a squeeze as there are only a few cms between it and the wardrobe. Also on the 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise we did last year I found I wasn't sleeping well in a twin bed. The pillow topping on the mattress makes the edge of the bed very soft and I kept feeling like I was falling out of bed. After those 35 nights I swore I would never choose an inside cabin on Sea or Sun again.

 

Sapphire (like other ships in that class) has bigger inside cabins, 168 sq ft, wide enough to fit a queen sized bed with bedside tables on each side and enough space to walk around sides and foot of the bed.

 

Although I like inside cabins these days I think I'd prefer an oceanview at least, or a balcony if it's not too expensive. Being stuck in an inside cabin if you get ill isn't all that great - I caught a flu on Sun Princess some years ago and spent two days in the cabin and that was long enough without being able to see the sea. I'd hate to end up in one for a long period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks there are rumours on the other threads that Sea and Sun may be sold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other threads here? Or on the Princess forum?

 

I do know Sun is up for sale as she was identified in an ad a while back but there haven't been any rumours she has been sold. I haven't heard any real rumours about Sea being sold, just imaginings from some people who don't like that class of ship. Personally I think she's an ideal ship for our region and, after spending 35 nights on her, she's great for those long cruises with the wide wrap-around promenade deck and Crooners that covers the whole Atrium area not just one side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, drsel said:

I don't think any Cruise line will cancel any sailing before final payment date.

their aim is to collect as much money as possible and then hold onto it for as long as possible in this crisis

I’m still waiting for my refund from  a May 16 Princess cruise.....booked via TA. Cancelled in March and While I’ve been patient so far, i’m Starting to get peed off it’s taking this long.........

Edited by Steelie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steelie said:

I’m still waiting for my refund from  a May 16 Princess cruise.....booked via TA. Cancelled in March and While I’ve been patient so far, i’m Starting to get peed off it’s taking this long.........

I did a quick bit of calculation the other day. Based on the total single berth passenger count of all the 18 ships in the fleet when this pandemic started Princess is processing 300,000-480,000 cancellations. And the cancellation process is not a simple one unfortunately. 

 

Also some TAs are apparently taking their time to pass on the refunds. I hope yours isn't one of those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NeilonBoard said:

Is there a round Australia planned around September 2021? (doesn't have to be Sapphire) If so can you Lift and Shift before before final payment payment is due.

"Lift and Shift", isn't that Royal Caribbean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It hasn't been announced yet. Hopefully they' release them around 15th July. I'd like to shift the Round Australia to Oct 21 and shift the Sept 21 Hawaii/Tahiti cruise we have booked to early 2022. Unfortunately Princess doesn't have a Lift and Shift deal but I'd want to change cabin type regardless - we're booked in an inside on Sapphire but don't want an inside on Sea.

Is there a particular reason not to have an inside cabin on Sea Princess when you'd be happy with one on Sapphire? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, phoenixx said:

Is there a particular reason not to have an inside cabin on Sea Princess when you'd be happy with one on Sapphire? Thanks

See my post #53 above.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Essentially the cabin size.

 

The inside cabins on Sea are very small, 135 sq ft,

Are you positive about the size?  The Princess website has the Sea Princess insides as Approx. 158 to 162 sq ft, and Sapphire the same size. Website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Are you positive about the size?  The Princess website has the Sea Princess insides as Approx. 158 to 162 sq ft, and Sapphire the same size. Website

There are a few that are 148 sq ft but most are 135sq ft. Check C511 for example. Click on the cabin on the deck plan and the size is noted there. They are really small.

 

I think the info you looked at is generic inside cabin info. The photo is wrong as well.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

There are a few that are 148 sq ft but most are 135sq ft. Check C511 for example.

C511 is a balcony! 179 sq ft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

C511 is a balcony! 179 sq ft.

Sorry, C509. That'll teach me to go by memory instead of double checking.

 

C511 must have been on another ship. Edit, yes it was the one we were in on Diamond.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Their website is telling "Porky's". Most of their cabin size, when you look at their deck plans are 135 sq ft. However when I looked under accommodation, it states "158 to 162 sq ft". Big difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Their website is telling "Porky's". Most of their cabin size, when you look at their deck plans are 135 sq ft. However when I looked under accommodation, it states "158 to 162 sq ft". Big difference.

It's a very big difference indeed. The Diamond and Ruby cabins we had were quite comfortable and just spacious enough so we could move around easily, plus they have a much better wardrobe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still with the risk now of being confined to the cabin for an extended period I think I'll be booking Oceanview or Balcony cabins from now on even if it means we cruise less often. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, phoenixx said:

"Lift and Shift", isn't that Royal Caribbean?

Yes you're right - I mistakenly thought the same deal applied to Princess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2020 at 9:59 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

I did a quick bit of calculation the other day. Based on the total single berth passenger count of all the 18 ships in the fleet when this pandemic started Princess is processing 300,000-480,000 cancellations. And the cancellation process is not a simple one unfortunately. 

 

Also some TAs are apparently taking their time to pass on the refunds. I hope yours isn't one of those.

Yeah, I understand that they are dealing with unprecedented numbers but I sometimes wonder if they are slow to refund so they can make money on our money.  TA have been great with other refunds so don’t think that’s the issue & I can’t see the 25% cruise credit. Hopefully it won’t be much longer........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steelie said:

Yeah, I understand that they are dealing with unprecedented numbers but I sometimes wonder if they are slow to refund so they can make money on our money.  TA have been great with other refunds so don’t think that’s the issue & I can’t see the 25% cruise credit. Hopefully it won’t be much longer........

I have money outstanding now for 4 months and I finally broke today and contacted them and was told it’s in the system ready to be processed and to be patient.!!

Cheers Carole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have money outstanding now for 4 months and I finally broke today and contacted them and was told it’s in the system ready to be processed and to be patient.!!

Cheers Carole

They will keep saying that until they get enough fresh money for future Cruises bookings, to use to refund passengers of cancelled Cruises.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, drsel said:

They will keep saying that until they get enough fresh money for future Cruises bookings, to use to refund passengers of cancelled Cruises.

 

And which cruises would they be ? As I said in my original post they are taking money for cruises that are not happening

Wish I was wrong 

Cheers Carole

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 11:28 PM, drsel said:

Thanks there are rumours on the other threads that Sea and Sun may be sold

 

its only rumours at this stage, and they are listed for sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:

 

its only rumours at this stage, and they are listed for sale.


Begs the question ...Who would buy them .?
RCCL are taking back the old Pullmantur ships and presumably putting  them on the market as well . Will they cruise again or be scrapped?


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:


Begs the question ...Who would buy them .?
RCCL are taking back the old Pullmantur ships and presumably putting  them on the market as well . Will they cruise again or be scrapped?


 

 

Going by reports I have seen on Facebook and on news site Pullmantur ships Monarch and Sovereign could be getting scrapped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...