Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
richwmn

The Daily for Thursday Jun 25, 2020

Posted (edited)

today is Day of the Seafarer and National Catfish Day

You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.

Meal suggestion for today - Southern Style Breaded Pork Chop

Wine for today - Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon Mount Veeder vintage 2015

It looks like several ships might be at their lay up positions now.

edit -- Amsterdam corrected

At Sea Indian Ocean

Amsterdam destination Jakarta eta 6/30

Zuiderdam destination Manila eta 6/25

Balboa Panama
Koningsdam
Oosterdam

Benoa Anchorage
Veendam

Lubuan
Maasdam

Manila Anchorage
Nieuw Amsterdam
Noordam
Rotterdam
Volendam

Singapore Anchorage
Eurodam
Westerdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

0625Neth.png

Ships current off the Netherlands

0625Panama.png

Ships currently off Balboa (Pacific) Panama

Edited by richwmn

Thank you Rich for the Daily report.  Always enjoy the maps and seeing where the ships are anchored.

Don't like Catfish but breaded pork chops with a good wine sounds wonderful.

Thanks for the Daily, Rich 🙂 

Love the quote and oh, so true.

Day of the Seafarer is a day everyone on the boards can celebrate 😉 

Great wine and meal suggestion, but if I could lay my hands on some catfish, I’d celebrate Catfish day with that 😉 

Good morning.  Thank you for the Daily Report.

It seems appropriate to celebrate Seafarers.

Great quote, word to live by.

Pork chops and wine for dinner sounds great.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day.  Stay healthy.

Thank you for the report.  It looks like Amsterdam and Zuiderdam should pass each other within hours.

Roy

Thanks Rich!

Being a Southerner I think it is technically illegal for me to not like catfish but there it is, yuck!! Much prefer our local rainbow trout. 

Fried pork chops on the other hand.. yes please with gravy!! 

Looks like today will be a yard work day for me and a running around like a wild child in the sprinkler day for toddler. To have 1/10th her energy. 

Day of the Seafarer , yes I agree we all love this day and wish we could get back to it. National Catfish Day, not fond of catfish.

You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.  I wonder how many believe this is true. 

Southern Style Breaded Pork Chop, not sure what southern style is.  Will have to look that one up.

Good morning everyone.  Thank you Rich for doing the daily.  It has become a very important of my morning routine.  It's going to be another HOT one in Florida today.

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! And the visual aids!

Morning Dailyites & my CC Sisters! It is going to be another hot one here. We had an intense storm last night. Bindi was not a happy girl.

Ah, Seafarer Day! How appropriate!   I like catfish - if they are alive and swimming around me. Otherwise I am with @fatcat04, heck no!

The meal and wine sound amazing. I have not even thought about supper. I guess I should go stare in my freezer drawers. 

I agree with the essence of the quote, but it is important to celebrate achievements - as long as we do not rest on them.

Well my state keeps moving up in the COVID case numbers, so we need to do a better job at curtailing this virus.

Stay well everyone.

Quote of the day by the Los Angeles Mayor:  "This is like cheating on a diet and wondering why we are not losing weight"

Roy

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Don't we all wish we were seafarers right now?  I was talking with friends yesterday about places we'd been, when I suddenly blurted out "Oh I wish I was on a cruise right now."  It just came out; DH just rolled his eyes and smiled.

While we were travelling through the Southern states, we tried catfish, and while it was okay, it just didn't seem to live up to the hype.  On the other hand, I have some pork chops thawing that will be great dipped in an egg wash, crushed cracker crumbs, and fried in a cast iron pan on the barbecue burner. That's on my menu for tonight.  And wine.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Thanks for the daily Rich.  Wishing all those on the high seas a wonderful day.  

2 minutes ago, gigianne said:

Thanks for the daily Rich.  Wishing all those on the high seas a wonderful day.  

So many still at sea, with the majority on cargo ships.  And also so many sitting at anchor.

Roy

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

It looks like Amsterdam and Zuiderdam should pass each other within hours.

Very soon now:

IMG_0843.thumb.JPG.4b41ef1cd686ca8c36423b1fc8ad4b7b.JPG

Roy

Good morning,

Love the quote.  We can take a moment to celebrate our successes but then need to move onward to do greater things.

Never really thought about Seafarers, the ones moving freight/goods, until our friend began volunteering at the Seafarers Mission here in Boston.  It is a really hard job--long days of little activity with no other people but the few that are working with you and then hard days in port.  The sailors are so appreciative of the help they get from the volunteers with local information (where is the nearest big box store, local transportation) and the little goody bags that volunteers put together (personal hygiene items, local logo hats, tee shirts with local logos, candies, snack foods, etc.).  

Love pork with pork tenderloin being one of our favorites.

18 minutes ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

Does anyone know how far off land the ships are anchoring?  Can't tell from the maps.

marine.jpg.ab3ecace3fcef522d80d1fec75fdaea3.jpg

It can vary a lot.  In the lower left corner of the above map there is a scale (1km over 1mi)  The furthest out HAL ship is the Nieuw Amsterdam, just below the "PH:MNL" in the box.  Looks like me to be perhaps 8 miles out.  The Rotterdam is in the little triangle closest to the shore, perhaps 2-3 miles off.

Roy

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

Thanks, Roy.  I didn't even see the mileage scale at the bottom.  

The 3 location services I use (Marine Traffic, Cruise Mapper, and HAL App all have their strengths and weaknesses.  Marine Traffic is the only one that has the mileage scale.  Rich usually uses Cruise Mapper because it can be set up to focus on HAL ships so there are pluses and minuses to consider.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Pork chops & wine sounds like a good combo.

Red sky at night sailors delight, red sky in the morning sailors take warning.  

Thank you for the daily report Rich.

I love fried catfish if cooked correctly.  I've tried myself but doesn't come out as good as a restaurant.  I also love Southern pork chops.  Neither are on the menu tonight though.

Seafarer Day........ahhh I only wish I was on a Seafarer itinerary right now in the Caribbean.  I did that itinerary back in 2001 on the Zaandam and it was a lovely cruise.

Have a great day everyone!

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

today is Day of the Seafarer and National Catfish Day

You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back.

Meal suggestion for today - Southern Style Breaded Pork Chop

Wine for today - Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon Mount Veeder vintage 2015

It looks like several ships might be at their lay up positions now.

Here's to all the Seafarers at sea and the ones wishing they were! 

It is also Global Beatles Day. We celebrate the Beatles every hour on the hour with our musical clock-12 different tunes! It was a Christmas gift to DH many years ago, and it changes to Christmas songs closer to the season (November 1 to February or so)

I like the quote, and while we don't need to yell our successes from the rooftops, we do have to recognize them to ourselves before moving on. We deserve that feeling of accomplishment.

I always seem to be a day ahead or behind with the meal. We had some great pork chops last night. Tonight, it will be a simple macaroni and cheese meal, complete with salad and wine.

Thanks again for the daily, Rich. It looks like all of the crews should soon be home.

Have a wonderful day! Stay safe! Dream big!