Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Tntt

Mariner? Your thoughts

Recommended Posts

So I booked the mariner for 2021, hopefully the cruises will be back up.... we have only sailed oasis class ships and I wanted to get  other cruisers opinion that have sailed on the mariner....I know this ship is smaller and won't have the neighborhoods but is there a big difference on the smaller ships? Like for instance can you feel the waves more on the smaller ships? For those that sailed mariner please give me your thoughts.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Tntt said:

Like for instance can you feel the waves more on the smaller ships? 

 

Fill your  bathtub with water (the ocean).

Put a small grain of sand (Mariner) in the bathtub and swish around the water.

Now put a slightly bigger grain of sand (Oasis) and swish around the water.

 

Which grain if sand bounces around more under the exact same wave conditions?

Edited by Hoopster95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mariner is my favorite ship in the fleet.. Can't wait to get back on it, just need for all of the sailings I book to stop getting cancelled 🙄 ...I doubt you will notice a whole lot of motion if you are looking at a Bahamas sailing anyway.. When Mariner changes its itineraries up next year you might hit a little chop going to Cozumel, but it would be no different on an Oasis Class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We've been on a couple Oasis class and also Mariner, Navigator and Adventure (last 3 are same size).  They are great ships.  They definitely feel smaller but nothing wrong with that.  Mariner doesn't have as many bells and whistles but still tons to do, especially after the amp. It's actually DH and my DD"s favorite ship.  (I still vote for Symphony but did love Mariner too).

 

We only did the 4 day Bahamas.  We felt no movement but it's not far between stops so we weren't even moving that much aside from the one sea day.  It does the same itinerary in 3 nights so it was going pretty slow or that sea day (i.e. calm ride).  I guess it depends on the weather but we had no issues.  We were supposed to return on Mariner end of August but that is now cancelled.

Edited by LuCruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not a "small ship" 🙂   No reason not to book it, that class of ship is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

loved Mariner's Playmakers, Sky Zone, new waterslides, hammock area. Did not like the Bamboo Room. As for motion of the ocean, well that's why I'm there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mariner was our first cruise back in 2006; it's what started it all for us.  Our family loved that ship. Captain Johnny and Becky.  We sailed on her from PC several times and then followed her out to LA in 2009 when she was doing the Mexican Riviera. 

Would love to sail on her again someday.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on Mariner back in April 19.  Absolutely loved it.  Lots to do, good specialty restaurants. Playmakers is a nice addition. Our favorite dining experience was Izumi Hibachi.  We had the UDP so we didn't eat in the MDR so I can't comment on that.  It is definitely a younger crowd and we had tonnes of kids on our cruise but most were decently behaved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We  sail Mariner and Oasis class ( whichever ship happens to be in PC) often.  Really - we like both ships and while Oasis class is great, Mariner has almost everything we use  ( and lots we don't use) on a ship.  

 

I've never noticed and difference is ship movement, but I don't have an issue with that.  

 

enjoy

 

 

Edited by cruisegirl1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right after we got off our cruise on the Harmony, we booked a last minute Christmas trip on the Mariner.  I really loved this ship!  I thought the size was perfect!  My kids had just as many things to do and it was super easy to navigate around.  We booked another trip on her for September, but L&S to 2021 recently.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were on The "Mariner" for "Superbowl" weekend (first weekend in February) we were a group of 9 and we all loved it. We live in Orlando and usually sail the "Bahamas" weekend cruises 3 - 4 times a year. First time doing it on the "Mariner" and it was AWESOME!!!!! We have since tried to re-book it for a B2B2B in September and just found out that all 3 have been cancelled. 😞

 We will keep trying to get on her before she changes her itinerary next year.

 

All in all, I would say go for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t hesitate to book a cruise on Mariner. Had a cruise on Mariner earlier this month cancelled. Will definitely book another cruise on Mariner again, hopefully sooner than later.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was on Mariner for a 12-night Med cruise in 2011.  I haven't been back on her since the Amp, but would never second guess a cruise on her.  Wonderful ship and not "small" at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love this ship; a bit smaller than Independence but similar.  Been on twice out of Canaveral barley felt ship move once...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[Photo intensive post, please don't quote photos in any response.]

 

For me Voyager class (Mariner) is a real sweet spot.  With the introduction of the "horizontal centrum" a.k.a. The Promenade these ships were game changers.  

 

9l4Z63J.jpg

 

r8puwLI.jpg

 

FyVWPPt.jpg

 

The amplification that Mariner received was nicely done and really did a great job to add features that the cruising public is looking for such as water slides. 

 

Mariner has a Studio B ice rink like Oasis class.  This is where they came from.  If you enjoy the ice shows don't miss it on Mariner.

 

K9SPEHu.jpg

 

yJB5DGf.jpg

 

lQ8hvG5.jpg

 

Areas like the Windjammer were modernized.

 

tbqvcSx.jpg

 

The solarium was refreshed and looks great.

 

3k6g7Hv.jpg

 

iLRXjUs.jpg

 

rbALDR3.jpg

 

a3DwJTY.jpg

 

The outside areas received a lot of attention during the amplification.

 

AwDCkgL.jpg

 

LlPTWlf.jpg

 

JnhpwaP.jpg

 

M9RvFhV.jpg

 

New features such as Skypad were added.

 

gJsVBPW.jpg

 

u5DoEq5.jpg

 

And of course water slides.

 

4fc7ivM.jpg

 

0vW8Pkk.jpg

 

Ud0K68u.jpg

 

rQG35gu.jpg

 

The main pool deck was refreshed as well.

 

nZ2mdiH.jpg

 

GF3R1vV.jpg

 

o5b1DOw.jpg

 

6CjvZ18.jpg

 

SAy3JcB.jpg

 

Boleros was refreshed and a Starbucks added if you are hooked on that sort of thing.

 

fwCJIeU.jpg

 

iFiVjsL.jpg

 

TrlXLPP.jpg

 

6DAQ4ke.jpg

 

Of course there is a Schooner Bar with windows to the outside unlike Oasis class.

 

kXYZsX3.jpg

 

The amplification brought new signature features like The Bamboo Room and Playmakers.

 

ivuHUrP.jpg

 

KpTYULu.jpg

 

iqpaznG.jpg

 

mg7YLSt.jpg

 

d4Nw4Pk.jpg

 

vDf4llD.jpg

 

The Pub in the Promenade was refreshed as well.

 

KMG0sp6.jpg

 

yffK8hw.jpg

 

Like others in this class, Freedom and Radiance classes the helipad is open to the public.

 

npUWaAU.jpg

 

Cak2DAB.jpg

 

She is by no stretch a small ship.  She remains larger than anything in Carnival's Whale Tail active fleet up to this point.  

 

n7EgqAr.jpg

 

HLgznsw.jpg

 

1w7seyC.jpg

 

There is a lot to love about Mariner and for me her large but not mega size makes her a perfect ship.  I could go on and on with photos but I've gone too far as it is.  

 

Simply put Mariner is an awesome ship that will provide a great cruise experience.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2020 at 12:57 PM, Cutigerlady said:

Right after we got off our cruise on the Harmony, we booked a last minute Christmas trip on the Mariner.  I really loved this ship!  I thought the size was perfect!  My kids had just as many things to do and it was super easy to navigate around.  We booked another trip on her for September, but L&S to 2021 recently.  

Booked for Sep 21 this year. Hopefully it will sail. You mentioned you were on the Harmony. We normally love the smaller ships. But when it came out and all the TV spots we had to try it. We loved that ship and all that it had to offer, so much more than the smaller ships at about the same price. The fabulous shows and all the spectacular ice skating. I cant't say enough about that ship. Really loved it. However, still enjoy the calm on the smaller ships. Now a completely different story about the Sky Princess. Rated number one. Not by us. To each their own. So many cancelled cruises on us. I really hope for sure we go on the Mariner. Only a short 4 niter but we will take it in a heart beat. This is so much worse than when I quit smoking. If I wanted to I could cheat (Didn't) but I at least could have. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, twangster said:

[Photo intensive post, please don't quote photos in any response.]

 

For me Voyager class (Mariner) is a real sweet spot.  With the introduction of the "horizontal centrum" a.k.a. The Promenade these ships were game changers.  

 

9l4Z63J.jpg

 

r8puwLI.jpg

 

FyVWPPt.jpg

 

The amplification that Mariner received was nicely done and really did a great job to add features that the cruising public is looking for such as water slides. 

 

Mariner has a Studio B ice rink like Oasis class.  This is where they came from.  If you enjoy the ice shows don't miss it on Mariner.

 

K9SPEHu.jpg

 

yJB5DGf.jpg

 

lQ8hvG5.jpg

 

Areas like the Windjammer were modernized.

 

tbqvcSx.jpg

 

The solarium was refreshed and looks great.

 

3k6g7Hv.jpg

 

iLRXjUs.jpg

 

rbALDR3.jpg

 

a3DwJTY.jpg

 

The outside areas received a lot of attention during the amplification.

 

AwDCkgL.jpg

 

LlPTWlf.jpg

 

JnhpwaP.jpg

 

M9RvFhV.jpg

 

New features such as Skypad were added.

 

gJsVBPW.jpg

 

u5DoEq5.jpg

 

And of course water slides.

 

4fc7ivM.jpg

 

0vW8Pkk.jpg

 

Ud0K68u.jpg

 

rQG35gu.jpg

 

The main pool deck was refreshed as well.

 

nZ2mdiH.jpg

 

GF3R1vV.jpg

 

o5b1DOw.jpg

 

6CjvZ18.jpg

 

SAy3JcB.jpg

 

Boleros was refreshed and a Starbucks added if you are hooked on that sort of thing.

 

fwCJIeU.jpg

 

iFiVjsL.jpg

 

TrlXLPP.jpg

 

6DAQ4ke.jpg

 

Of course there is a Schooner Bar with windows to the outside unlike Oasis class.

 

kXYZsX3.jpg

 

The amplification brought new signature features like The Bamboo Room and Playmakers.

 

ivuHUrP.jpg

 

KpTYULu.jpg

 

iqpaznG.jpg

 

mg7YLSt.jpg

 

d4Nw4Pk.jpg

 

vDf4llD.jpg

 

The Pub in the Promenade was refreshed as well.

 

KMG0sp6.jpg

 

yffK8hw.jpg

 

Like others in this class, Freedom and Radiance classes the helipad is open to the public.

 

npUWaAU.jpg

 

Cak2DAB.jpg

 

She is by no stretch a small ship.  She remains larger than anything in Carnival's Whale Tail active fleet up to this point.  

 

n7EgqAr.jpg

 

HLgznsw.jpg

 

1w7seyC.jpg

 

There is a lot to love about Mariner and for me her large but not mega size makes her a perfect ship.  I could go on and on with photos but I've gone too far as it is.  

 

Simply put Mariner is an awesome ship that will provide a great cruise experience.  

 

Wow! I did not realize it looks a lot like the Harmony's fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome pictures, Twangster, once again!!!  Thanks for sharing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Wow! I did not realize it looks a lot like the Harmony's fun.

Please be kind to folks who need to scroll and don't quote the entire post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She’s been our favorite ship, even more so than newer/bigger ships. Is there such a thing as perfect size? Although we will be trying Harmony for the first time next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Please be kind to folks who need to scroll and don't quote the entire post.

Want to explain what you are meaning. I said nothing about anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Schooner Bar is our favorite place to relax and enjoy a lot of piano music, trivia and alike on all the ships we have been on that had the Schooners Bar. The decor is perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...