ITV 2 July 2100 - Billion Pound Cruise Industry: All at Sea

Harry Peterson

45 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

True, but there were a number of customers from the Arcadia World Cruise (that never was) who featured in the press, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if that was mentioned. Whilst P&O did as best as they could given the impossible circumstances, and several passenger who were on that cruise have posted very favourably on here about how it was all handled, I know that we wouldn’t have fancied being on the cruise ship that broke the record for the longest time at sea without making landfall! We struggle with 3 or more sea days in a row, and that’s with a fully functioning ship, let alone one with restrictions, and an experience like that would have put us off cruising forever! Even with the compensation offered, it was an eye watering financial outlay for what should have been a cruise of a lifetime and wasn’t. 

Have to disagree re the cruise of a lifetime.  I think it must have been a once in a lifetime experience, unlikely to be repeated, albeit for the wrong reasons! 😉

Pax, and crew from that cruise will have bragging rights for many years to come. 😲

57 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’ve seen the linked information. Never prejudge. Let’s just wait to see the evidence, shall we?

Realistically speaking though, it would be quite difficult to put out a positive message about cruising and Coronavirus at present, wouldn’t it, given the background.

Difficult to judge cruising and Covid19 solely on the issues the pandemic caused in its initial phase Harry, most of the problems were caused by the fear factor stories of a plague ship causing untold harm in any port it visited.  We now have a much better understanding of the disease and the safe ways that we can handle outbreaks and limit their spread.

Hopefully before any restart cruise lines will have decided how they intend to handle any cases occurring on board, and will also have arrangements in place with all countries of ports of call visited, as to how any outbreak will be handled, hopefully with any seriously ill passengers disembarked to a hospital, and other passengers still allowed to go ashore as normal.  Plus all the already discussed issues of on board social distancing, and tighter pre cruise health checks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I’m expecting it to have a negative slant but we will see. I’ve already had non cruising friends throw their hands up in horror “oh I would hate to be trapped on a boat,* ugh worse place” but would happily sit on a plane for hours!

* I then have to bite my tongue to not say “ship” very sharply 😁

I dislike flying these days, but at least you are only stuck on a plane for hours, not weeks, and there’s no risk of cabin confinement, so I can see their point! Yes, the ‘boat’ thing gets me too, but not as much as the superfluous use of ‘the’ that many people use in front of a ships name (‘the’ Britannia etc). They say that the easiest way to remember is that you can put a boat on a ship, but you can’t put a ship on a boat! Easier than explaining that you say ‘Britannia’ or ‘the cruise ship Britannia’ but not ‘the Britannia’ 😂 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Hopefully before any restart cruise lines will have decided how they intend to handle any cases occurring on board, and will also have arrangements in place with all countries of ports of call visited, as to how any outbreak will be handled, hopefully with any seriously ill passengers disembarked to a hospital, and other passengers still allowed to go ashore as normal.  Plus all the already discussed issues of on board social distancing, and tighter pre cruise health checks.

Wise words John, but I fear it may be wishful thinking!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I dislike flying these days, but at least you are only stuck on a plane for hours, not weeks, and there’s no risk of cabin confinement, so I can see their point! Yes, the ‘boat’ thing gets me too, but not as much as the superfluous use of ‘the’ that many people use in front of a ships name (‘the’ Britannia etc). They say that the easiest way to remember is that you can put a boat on a ship, but you can’t put a ship on a boat! Easier than explaining that you say ‘Britannia’ or ‘the cruise ship Britannia’ but not ‘the Britannia’ 😂 

Or, a boat is what you get into when the ship sinks🚢

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Or, a boat is what you get into when the ship sinks🚢

Quite! I like that even more. I’ve just remembered the simple way to remember how to correctly describe a particular ship. Look at what’s written on the side! If it says “The Britannia” then that’s what it’s called. On the other hand, if the name states “Britannia”.......😂

21 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

On the bright side, in the very unlikely event that a single programme has any discernible negative impact on the public perception of cruising, prices will drop.

Very unlikely though. Having said that, one single 1983 World in Action ITV programme had a pretty devastating effect on the growing use of timber frame in housing construction.

From the pre-programme blurb it already looks negative.  Talk about an ‘infected ship’ is already negative.  It was not the ship that had the infection, it was the passengers.  There is a subtle difference between ‘An infected ship carrying passengers’ and ‘A ship carrying infected passengers’.  

Don’t get me wrong, I am not rushing to book another cruise, but i do get irritated by the way spin is put on these stories. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ollienbertsmum said:

From the pre-programme blurb it already looks negative.  Talk about an ‘infected ship’ is already negative.  It was not the ship that had the infection, it was the passengers.  There is a subtle difference between ‘An infected ship carrying passengers’ and ‘A ship carrying infected passengers’.  

Don’t get me wrong, I am not rushing to book another cruise, but i do get irritated by the way spin is put on these stories. 

Good news stories don’t sell newspapers or TV programmes, though, do they, so it’s inevitable.

Added to which, you’d struggle to find much positive to say about Coronavirus and cruising. That’s reflected in the Carnival share price.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Good news stories don’t sell newspapers or TV programmes, though, do they, so it’s inevitable.

Added to which, you’d struggle to find much positive to say about Coronavirus and cruising. That’s reflected in the Carnival share price.

I'm hoping it's not going to be just cruise line bashing, but more about the struggles they are having with all their spendable income disappearing overnight and the difficulty they are having trying to save thousands of jobs and keep customers happy with no real light at the end of the tunnel, just hope and speculation as to whether they will survive or not. 

Yes, some have behaved appallingly and illegally, but I wonder what we would do in their shoes?

We all would like to do better, but with no warning, difficult decisions had to be made quickly and human instinct is survival, whatever it takes... 

Andy 

Edited by AndyMichelle
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I'm hoping it's not going to be just cruise line bashing, but more about the struggles they are having with all their spendable income disappearing overnight and the difficulty they are having trying to save thousands of jobs and keep customers happy with no real light at the end of the tunnel, just hope and speculation as to whether they will survive or not. 

It’s ITV, Andy. I think we might have to wait for Channel 4 or BBC2 to do something for anything more in depth.

Harry

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

It’s ITV, Andy. I think we might have to wait for Channel 4 or BBC2 to do something for anything more in depth.

Harry

Didn't Paul Ludlow or some other high up at PandO say that that ITV (Saturday night) audience was the market they were focussing on?  If Ludlow or his cronies are on the programme, I hope they're not going to hi-jack it into some sort of propaganda circus.

• Like 1

A poster popped this link in a different thread yesterday, without comment

I think it deserves some sort of heading, so

I know this is from The Express but the article says Spain will not allow cruise ships “indefinitely” or some such.  Gloom upon gloom - or perpetual British Isles cruising

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1301949/Spain-coronavirus-holidays-travel-covid-cruise-cruises-news?fbclid=IwAR3MJr-Fusalkm4aaTygcdVqorKKCGDUCUDyRnFbg0jewKGVPgkafJG7g6g

20 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, the ‘boat’ thing gets me too, but not as much as the superfluous use of ‘the’ that many people use in front of a ships name (‘the’ Britannia etc). They say that the easiest way to remember is that you can put a boat on a ship, but you can’t put a ship on a boat! Easier than explaining that you say ‘Britannia’ or ‘the cruise ship Britannia’ but not ‘the Britannia’ 😂 

Now you are making me go crazy.  I am supposed to be finishing up an 80,000 word thesis and you are distracting me with trying to work out what happens grammatically when you do and don’t use ‘the.  

I think I do use ‘the’.  Contrast the sentences (sorry to use an NCL ship but this makes most sense). 

My favourite ship is the Epic.  (True only because of the great itinerary)

My favourite ship is Epic.  (If I say it aloud it sounds like ‘My favourite ship is epic’) 

But I happily say ‘my favourite singer is Adele’ rather than ‘My favourite singer is the Adele’. 

I think with the RCI ships I add use ‘the’. ‘My first cruise was on the Voyager of the Seas‘.

Are you OK to go on the good ship Lollipop?

I am sooo confused.  

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

A poster popped this link in a different thread yesterday, without comment

I think it deserves some sort of heading, so

I know this is from The Express but the article says Spain will not allow cruise ships “indefinitely” or some such.  Gloom upon gloom - or perpetual British Isles cruising

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1301949/Spain-coronavirus-holidays-travel-covid-cruise-cruises-news?fbclid=IwAR3MJr-Fusalkm4aaTygcdVqorKKCGDUCUDyRnFbg0jewKGVPgkafJG7g6g

As you say, it’s just the Express, with its reputation for making up news as it goes along. But this one does seem to be true. Reported in the Telegraph a week ago, and not good news, but entirely understandable.

54 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Didn't Paul Ludlow or some other high up at PandO say that that ITV (Saturday night) audience was the market they were focussing on?  If Ludlow or his cronies are on the programme, I hope they're not going to hi-jack it into some sort of propaganda circus.

He did.  That’s the market they’re going for these days, though 20 years back it would probably have been the BBC2 audience. 

I’m old enough to remember when Ibiza was upmarket!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

Now you are making me go crazy.  I am supposed to be finishing up an 80,000 word thesis and you are distracting me with trying to work out what happens grammatically when you do and don’t use ‘the.  

I think I do use ‘the’.  Contrast the sentences (sorry to use an NCL ship but this makes most sense). 

My favourite ship is the Epic.  (True only because of the great itinerary)

My favourite ship is Epic.  (If I say it aloud it sounds like ‘My favourite ship is epic’) 

But I happily say ‘my favourite singer is Adele’ rather than ‘My favourite singer is the Adele’. 

I think with the RCI ships I add use ‘the’. ‘My first cruise was on the Voyager of the Seas‘.

I am sooo confused.  

I hate it when the is dropped from things in the media. Such as "today's weather; sunshine and showers in North and Midlands" - which should be the North and in the Midlands.

And don't get me started on team nicknames. They love to drop the the there too. Its the Minnesota Vikings, not Minnesota Vikings.

Keeping on topic - for ships, it is interchangable. You refer to the cabins on the Queen Mary 2 or the Iona. However you can say that 'Oceana has travelled to her new port of Newcastle'.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

Keeping on topic - for ships, it is interchangable. You refer to the cabins on the Queen Mary 2 or the Iona. However you can say that 'Oceana has travelled to her new port of Newcastle'.

I think we have to agree to disagree on that one - I'd refer to the cabins on Queen Mary 2 or Iona, without the 'the'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

I am sooo confused.  

Yes, because if someone asks me which ships I like the most, I would say ‘the P&O cruise ships Aurora and Britannia’, but when asked which P&O cruise ship I have been on most, I would answer ‘Aurora’, because that’s the actual name written on the side (not “The Aurora”) and it’s not ‘the’ only vessel in the world with that name 😂 Harry is correct, the use of the preface ‘the’ is not interchangeable. It’s superfluous and bad English. Hope that helps 😂 

On 6/27/2020 at 9:25 AM, Harry Peterson said:

I’ve seen the linked information. Never prejudge. Let’s just wait to see the evidence, shall we?

Realistically speaking though, it would be quite difficult to put out a positive message about cruising and Coronavirus at present, wouldn’t it, given the background.

Just a quick reminder that the programme is aired tonight folks :classic_smile:

• Like 2

It'll be an interesting watch which I will probably be shouting at the TV 😄 What happened on Diamond Princess was at the very early stages of the epidemic and I am sure the crew didn't have a clue what to do, nor did anyone ashore. I think with the same situation, we now have much more knowledge of the disease and would act totally differently. Should be an interesting watch though.

2 hours ago, ovccruiser said:

It'll be an interesting watch which I will probably be shouting at the TV 😄 What happened on Diamond Princess was at the very early stages of the epidemic and I am sure the crew didn't have a clue what to do, nor did anyone ashore. I think with the same situation, we now have much more knowledge of the disease and would act totally differently. Should be an interesting watch though.

Its annoying me already. Those two from the Diamond Princess love the attention. I remember then being all over the place at the time. And he knew something serious was going on when people were sneezing and had runny noses during an excursion. I mean, REALLY?

• Like 3