Jump to content

ITV 2 July 2100 - Billion Pound Cruise Industry: All at Sea


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Not necessarily so. Depends on the precise wording of your policy's exclusions. My own annual policy for example, merely states "your travel to a country or specific area or event to which the Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office or the World Health Organisation has advised the public not to travel."

That’s interesting. I doubt they’d successfully persuade the FoS that ‘specific area’ could include a ship, but I bet they’d try!

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I did a little calculation the other day. How many hours per week do I currently spend closer than 2 metres from people and compared this with a 7 night cruise including travel to the port. The cruise would be equivalent to 120 current land weeks - scary😲

That was interesting, so my wife and I considered our lives in the same way and we concluded that we would probably have a similar result, which shows how much close contact with many others you have on a cruise. I must admit if either of us are to get a cough/cold it will be most likely during/after a cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AchileLauro said:

Call me a cynic if you like but I'm rather loath to accept on face value official statistics on covid virus at the moment, especially U.S. statistics.

 

I think it could be some time before truly accurate data will become available.

I don't think our official statistics are much better. Checked Barnsley's confirmed cases  on Thursday -1,093. Looked again yesterday - 1,868 ????   I was stunned. This has happened in other areas too.

Avril 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wowzz said:

So, if they  carried out 18 tests, 50% were positive!

And if they carried out 18000 tests, 0.05% were positive.  Please stop being so childish, its pathetic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I don't think our official statistics are much better. Checked Barnsley's confirmed cases  on Thursday -1,093. Looked again yesterday - 1,868 ????   I was stunned. This has happened in other areas too.

Avril 

Its because they've added all the pillar 2 tests into the figures now for each area. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, davecttr said:

I did a little calculation the other day. How many hours per week do I currently spend closer than 2 metres from people and compared this with a 7 night cruise including travel to the port. The cruise would be equivalent to 120 current land weeks - scary😲

Got to say you either don’t go out a lot or you spend your time getting up close to other passengers scary 🧛‍♂️

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bazrat said:

Got to say you either don’t go out a lot or you spend your time getting up close to other passengers scary 🧛‍♂️

Of course I go out every day but I don't actively seek to get closer than 2 metres with people I meet. On a cruise ship you will have little choice unless you isolate yourself in your cabin.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I’ve finally got round to watching the programme, think people who already hate the idea of a cruise would just be even more against one after watching!
 

Im glad I wasn’t the only one horrified by that lady’s song 😂 She was upset about people dying on her ship but quite happy to sing a jolly song about it??!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, davemorton said:

And if they carried out 18000 tests, 0.05% were positive.  Please stop being so childish, its pathetic. 

But the number of positive tests is only relevant when compared to the number tested. Round here, we have zero positive tests.Therefore I live in the safest place in the world at the moment.

Anyway, I'll leave you to carry on with your insults, as you seem to lack any sense of statistical awareness.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Its because they've added all the pillar 2 tests into the figures now for each area. 

 

Ahhhh so it is all because of the amount of testing being done.  Think I heard that from the US earlier this week.......

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tring said:

 

Ahhhh so it is all because of the amount of testing being done.  Think I heard that from the US earlier this week.......

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hmmmm no, nothing to do with that. The positive cases were already reported in the UK figure so there's been no new increase in the cases overall. But the breakdown for each area was only available for the tests done in hospital, and not those done at testing centres or postal kits. Following Leicester City Council complaining that they could only see their pillar one cases, the government has eventually decided to release the pillar two details. This has resulted in every local authority adjusting their figures to add in these numbers. This gives a more accurate figure for each area. This should have been done all along as local authorities only had half the picture without both sets of numbers. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pete14 said:


But it is these asymptomatic people, some of whom are being tested in random selection surveys, that are bumping up the detected cases and giving a truer picture. If it wasn’t for the survey testing, their infection would remain unknown but they could still infect others. 

Aren't they saying now that it's unlikely that asymptomatic people are responsible for infecting others? I lose track! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Andy, what we’re talking about here is preparedness for what could be another huge wave in the autumn/winter, rather than the stable situation now.  And it’s the complacency shown in 2018 when the government was warned that emergency supplies were inadequate that led to the crisis this year.

 

I’d believe the comment from a senior NHS leader that: “There’s a very, very significant difference between the phrase ‘the NHS will get whatever it needs’ and the behaviour now being exhibited by the Treasury.”

 

Last time round hardly anyone over 70 was allowed access to a ventilator, and thousands of people in care homes were effectively killed off to avoid a complete collapse of the NHS.  That wasn’t right, and it could all happen again if the funding promises are broken. Medics are expecting the second wave, as are the scientists. They’re probably right to be worried.

 

Harry

As I say Harry, I do not have your knowledge, but I was responding to your comment that we are not prepared for the second wave, not what happened previously. 

I listen to people, maybe wrongly, involved on the front line who now feel prepared. 

Andy 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There was also Our World on BBC News Channel last night at 9.30, repeated tonight at same time about the Princess ships and COVID 19. Not good publicity for Carnival Corporation 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

When someone quotes China and Germany as examples of a second wave, it gives me hope that we don't have too much to worry about. Germany dealt with their "spike" and cases are now back down again and China is back to single digit figures every day (or so they say!). It does make me question her motives when she's using very weak examples to try and scare people. I've seen a few articles from her in a similar vein and it makes me very suspicious. Not to mention that CornwallLive absolutely love to try and scare the Cornish population. Very recently they published an article suggesting that Cornwall was about to experience a second wave as their R had shot up above 1. In reality their daily figures had gone from 2 to 4 for a couple of days, for the whole county! 

We are off to Cornwall in a couple of weeks. If it gets cancelled we will join Kalos in the pub instead.😷

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We are off to Cornwall in a couple of weeks. If it gets cancelled we will join Kalos in the pub instead.😷

I love Cornwall, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. My parents now live down there so I'm hoping to go and see them in August when mum's shielding ends. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

One small technical point.  The anticipated second wave has little to do with the small scale outbreaks in Germany or elsewhere - those are containable, as in Leicester.

 

The second wave being planned for across the NHS is something equivalent to the first wave which hit Europe in February/March - far more likely in the cooler months, possibly because people spend a lot more time inside.  Our first wave almost overwhelmed the NHS, and there's every chance that the same would happen with a second wave.

 

Planning ahead is just plain common sense.

Absolutely agree, we need to be prepared and plan ahead. No one really knows how this will pan out. 

But in the article she uses the "current", as it was then, situation is Germany to evidence a second wave occurring here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, so I can tell you that Devon is definitely open.  The grockels are ramming the streets, there is hardly any social distancing.  Luckily here in my harbour office, we have screens and people are only allowed in one at a time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Right, so I can tell you that Devon is definitely open.  The grockels are ramming the streets, there is hardly any social distancing.  Luckily here in my harbour office, we have screens and people are only allowed in one at a time.

Grockels....had to look up the meaning of that word :classic_unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amajaa said:

There was also Our World on BBC News Channel last night at 9.30, repeated tonight at same time about the Princess ships and COVID 19. Not good publicity for Carnival Corporation 


Just watched it on catch up. More stats than the ITV programme, even though it was half the length. One thing I didn’t know (but am not at all surprised to learn) is that the virus spreads four times quicker on a cruise ship than ashore - in fact it was four times the level in Wuhan, so probably more than four times the rate of spread compared to other locations. Worth watching although, like the ITV programme, one of those confined to their cabin felt the need to compose a song!

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Grockels....had to look up the meaning of that word :classic_unsure:

Now, knowing the meaning and the desire of southwest business to start earning some income and to survive the winter. Do you think that term encourages visitors? I have had dialogue with a number of southeast accomodation and hospitality providers and am pleased to say that those refering to the people who will help Thier businesses survive and to provide in income to local people as " Grockles " is thankfully rare. Most are welcoming😁

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zap99 said:

Now, knowing the meaning and the desire of southwest business to start earning some income and to survive the winter. Do you think that term encourages visitors? I have had dialogue with a number of southeast accomodation and hospitality providers and am pleased to say that those refering to the people who will help Thier businesses survive and to provide in income to local people as " Grockles " is thankfully rare. Most are welcoming😁

The words Grockles and Emmets are very rarely used in front of visitors to Devon and Cornwall.  Almost always behind their backs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, zap99 said:

We are off to Cornwall in a couple of weeks. If it gets cancelled we will join Kalos in the pub instead.😷

I will save you a chair Zapp :classic_wink: 

 

Edited by kalos
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The words Grockles and Emmets are very rarely used in front of visitors to Devon and Cornwall.  Almost always behind their backs.

I visit the SW quite regularly and rarely hear that term nowadays. Interestingly many of the " locals" have Chelsea/Kensington accents. Some places being referred to as Chelsea on sea.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

The words Grockles and Emmets are very rarely used in front of visitors to Devon and Cornwall.  Almost always behind their backs.

 

The rest of the country ,well most of it ,would class it as "Two faced by the user" .

They want the tourists but as Zapp said most are genuine in their welcome to visitors .

Edited by kalos
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A with Chris Prelog, President of Windstar Cruises!
      • Register Now for Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Royal Caribbean
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...