Cruise Critic Community
Couple-Somerset

Time for Cruiselines to Lift & Shift from USA

Given that the USA appears unable (unwilling) to put the measures in place to reduce, control and eliminate the Covid Virus, is it time that the US cruise lines moved their ships away from US operations for now - a complete Lift & Shift.

The CDC is obviously US-focused and there cannot be any sailings from the US until the Virus is controlled.

Most of Europe and many other places around the World appear to be getting on top of Coronavirus, yet we cannot cruise because everything is tied toward satisfying the CDC.

I fear that unless the cruise lines take radical action to get sailing, we wont have any lines left to sail.

Carnival and Royal shares are now classed as junk, worthless - something must be done soon.

I believe you might be correct.  It would certainly make sense for their restarted cruises to first occur from countries where the virus is under control (or at least more under control).  That is far from the case in the U. S. 

The problem is that there aren’t a lot of other itineraries that are available for the upcoming winter months. 

The other problem is that a lot of other countries might decide to bar US cruisers from traveling there to cruise.

IMO if the CDC continues to punish the cruise lines by not moving forward with guideline negotiations to get the cruise industry sailing  from US ports,  I feel the cruise lines could begin and end cruises say in the Bahamas or Cozumel. Europe may be a little more dicey for US cruisers as an embargo of US tourists is in the works for the future.

What does everyone think?

5 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

The other problem is that a lot of other countries might decide to bar US cruisers from traveling there to cruise.

Then the ships go there and only local people from around there cruise, no one from the US. At least the cruiseline will survive that way until the US gets straighten out.

1 minute ago, Empehi said:

IMO if the CDC continues to punish the cruise lines by not moving forward with guideline negotiations to get the cruise industry sailing  from US ports,  I feel the cruise lines could begin and end cruises say in the Bahamas or Cozumel. Europe may be a little more dicey for US cruisers as an embargo of US tourists is in the works for the future.

Not sure if those places have the infrastructure (supplies, airports, hotel rooms, etc.) to accomplish this.  I also wonder how the Bahamas and Mexico would feel about thousands of Americans traveling to their countries every week with the way things are in the U. S. right now.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Empehi said:

There is not enough infrastructure in any of tje Caribbean islands (hotels, flights..) to support this other than for a couple of small ships. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

The point of moving operations away from the US would be to remove US citizens. 

It would be pointless having Europe, Australia, Singapore etc as cruise hubs if people from the USA simply fly to them. 

Until the USA gets itself organised, there can be no foreign travel. 

16 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

I think they would only allow neighbouring countries that are not hot spots, and they would not cruise to hot spots. 

11 minutes ago, Empehi said:

I don’t see those countries wanting this. I think they would prefer if tourists are coming, that they stay on their island alone. The islands are already screening in coming plane crews and travellers for Covid. I doubt they would want to screen guests getting off of ships as well, when they are just going to the airport to fly home not to spend any money there. 

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Then the ships go there and only local people from around there cruise, no one from the US. At least the cruiseline will survive that way until the US gets straighten out.

My wife and I were talking about this exactly.  Ships functioning in Europe, Australia, New Zealand (when allowed) Asia, China etc... will generate revenue VS ships floating off the coast of Florida. 

This all tells me we need a vaccine and we need it quickly because we aren't doing too well here in the US of squashing this virus. I'm not blaming anyone, or suggesting politics in this but just saying we aren't getting this under control. We seem to continue to shoot ourselves in the foot. That is pushing the cruise lines back and back.

On another similar note we went to an open air/outdoor mall here in NJ yesterday and even though it's orderly and 99% of the people are doing the right thing it's no way to live and quite frankly this new normal while necessary, sucks. Waiting to get into stores because it's at capacity isn't fun. While it only took probably 10 minutes the longest to get into a store, once you are in it's hard to navigate because the isles are marked for traffic.

I can say this without a doubt, that will not work on a cruise ship. Traffic patterns, distancing will not work on a cruise ship and will not be enjoyable at all. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hello,

Not that many years ago, the Independence sailed out of Southampton year-round. It did an itinerary called The Ultimate Mediterranean and I was on it twice. However it didn't make enough money for RCI so its final winter here was changed to the Canaries (x3 over Christmas and the New Year).

So if Anthem is here to have its bottom scraped, or whatever else they do every five years, and there won't be any Americans here to take home at the end of 'the season' on a westbound TA, and the CDC are playing hard-ball, they could always keep running Canaries cruises until the published 2021 schedule takes over.

They could always throw in The Azores or Morocco for a bit of variety.

Regards,

Cublet

Well... I have no data in front of me to support my claim, but something tells me that w/o the US traveler and the monies that go with them, Cruiseline revenues and European travel will suffer greatly. Can they survive? Yes, of course. But until the US traveler is allowed back on cruise ships and travel in Europe, the cruiselines and the European travel industry will suffer greatly financially.  

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

once you are in it's hard to navigate because the isles are marked for traffic.

I can say this without a doubt, that will not work on a cruise ship. Traffic patterns, distancing will not work on a cruise ship and will not be enjoyable at all. Just my opinion though.

Walk backward in the aisles 🙂

I agree all these "social distancing" ideas won't accomplish anything on a cruise ship.  But the companies are likely going to implement a bunch of things to make a show of trying.

And you're right it won't be enjoyable.

Edited by bouhunter

What i have noticed from my limited time cruising but lots of deal hunting is that the US market can cruise to caribbean, mexico etc for dirt cheap and short trips. A quick turn around of people. 

In the UK most cruises leaving here are 7-14 days. The simple reason is the weather and the fact we can go to the big cities in Europe very easy and cheaply. Even a fight to the Canaries is quite cheap.

The other thing to keep in mind is most of us europeans do not tip very well, and tend to buy drinks packages and tend to get our moneys worth.

Walk backward in the aisles

I agree all these "social distancing" ideas won't accomplish anything on a cruise ship.  But the companies are likely going to implement a bunch of things to make a show of trying.
Well the problem I had yesterday was in a shoe store. I don't mind walking down the isle the right way that the arrows are in but it emptied out right where the line for cash register was and many people standing in line. That made it awkward.
Not too mention this store did not have the freaking shoes I wanted in the first place and ended up ordering them on Amazon anyway.
My 6 year old son did get sandles though. Oh you couldn't try on any shoes unless you take off your socks and the there there away socks. I mean I get it, all of it but man it sucks. It just makes everything not enjoyable.
Please Lord we need a vaccine and freaking soon.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Well... I have no data in front of me to support my claim, but something tells me that w/o the US traveler and the monies that go with them, Cruiseline revenues and European travel will suffer greatly. Can they survive? Yes, of course. But until the US traveler is allowed back on cruise ships and travel in Europe, the cruiselines and the European travel industry will suffer greatly financially.  

I suggest that there were cruises that sailed before all this with barely a single USA citizen on board and  survived with just the local population making the bookings.
P&O cruises from Southampton for example.  99% Brits.  
Or MSC from Genoa. Very few non Europeans on board.  

Or some of the cruises from Shanghai which would be predominantly Asian guests. 

Edited by little britain

3 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

The point of moving operations away from the US would be to remove US citizens. 

It would be pointless having Europe, Australia, Singapore etc as cruise hubs if people from the USA simply fly to them. 

Until the USA gets itself organised, there can be no foreign travel. 

You do realize that 75% of Royals customers are North Americans 

1 hour ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

As will the crew tip pools I'm guessing

15 minutes ago, little britain said:

I suggest that there were cruises that sailed before all this with barely a single USA citizen on board and  survived with just the local population making the bookings.
P&O cruises from Southampton for example.  99% Brits.  
Or MSC from Genoa. Very few non Europeans on board.  

Or some of the cruises from Shanghai which would be predominantly Asian guests. 

Absolutely,  but there is already a fleet of ships to handle that market. Adding the Royal ships would be overkill

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Absolutely,  but there is already a fleet of ships to handle that market. Adding the Royal ships would be overkill

First in, first to the money... doesn’t matter where. That’s what stockholders want. 

edit: the don’t all need to go, but occupancy there is better than the current levels in NA. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

The cruise lines need revenue. I don't care where it comes from as long as it keeps the them literally "afloat" till the we get our ***** together here and cruise again.
Hell I'm one of the crazies that thinks cruise lines should be given a lifeline from the government but I know that make me nuts.

Looks to me that the first place they could be sailing from is the N.Y. area. ( Never in a million years did I think this would be the case  ) These politicians from some these states chose to bury their heads in the sand. And this is what they are winding up with. Don't ever deny science. 

We have to think out of the box to get the CDC's attention.

1. San Diego to Ensenada, MX - around 90 miles

Buses could shuttle to the port in Ensenada

2. Ft Lauderdale to Freeport - 3 hour boat shuttle

Or people could fly in

Those cruise lines could build their cruises around their Private Islands and not be so dependent

on countries opening and closing ports at a moments notice.

We do need a few early cruises to see how things would operate.