Cruise Critic Community
Couple-Somerset

Time for Cruiselines to Lift & Shift from USA

Unless the US Governors or US Government place a mandatory order for everyone to wear a mask and keep 6 ft. distancing , we won’t slow the daily growth of the virus.

This is not the CDC, I am a big traveler, however I won’t go anywhere unless this country does something to get this virus under control. I don’t see the importance of the cruise lines going to other ports, still we won’t be able to go!

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

You do realize that 75% of Royals customers are North Americans 

OK, lets look at it another way.... 

The USA cannot cruise or fly until its population starts to follow even basic rules. 

So, in your estimation cruiselines lose 75% of revenue for a long time to come. 

But they will go bust before too long. 

The cruiselines, in other markets, get far more than 75% "local" cruisers. 

The lines can sit on their hands and go even more bankrupt than they are now or they can be pro-active and move their market for now. 

Privately owned MSC cruises certainly wont be waiting for the CDC to give them the OK as they have such a small footprint in the US. 

Royal and Carnival need to do something before MSC becomes a much bigger and stronger player. 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Empehi said:

We have to think out of the box to get the CDC's attention.

1. San Diego to Ensenada, MX - around 90 miles

Buses could shuttle to the port in Ensenada

2. Ft Lauderdale to Freeport - 3 hour boat shuttle

Or people could fly in

Those cruise lines could build their cruises around their Private Islands and not be so dependent

on countries opening and closing ports at a moments notice.

We do need a few early cruises to see how things would operate.

Wouldnt matter where Cruises start and end still have US passengers from all States with or without high numbers of CV. My bet iz Cruisez will start before there is a Vaccince. Even if they get one be yrs to get all Vaccinated, some wont, and shot will never be 100% anyway

Edited by ONECRUISER

4 hours ago, Empehi said:

Or people could fly in

Those cruise lines could build their cruises around their Private Islands and not be so dependent

They would still be dependent on the private islands' respective countries allowing passengers from the US. 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Well... I have no data in front of me to support my claim, but something tells me that w/o the US traveler and the monies that go with them, Cruiseline revenues and European travel will suffer greatly. Can they survive? Yes, of course. But until the US traveler is allowed back on cruise ships and travel in Europe, the cruiselines and the European travel industry will suffer greatly financially.  

The European tourist industry will do just fine with European, Asian, Caribbean, Canadian, and Australian/New Zealand tourists.

Until the US can demonstrate a strong, coordinated Federal response and the numbers start coming down, the US will continue to have a travel ban against them in many countries. The simplest solution is what worked across the pond; mandated mask wearing.

Everyone in Europe diligently wore their masks and sheltered in place to bring their numbers down. There is no way they are going to welcome US Tourists who don't believe in masks and have a country that the pandemic is out of control in.

Edited by cured

2 minutes ago, cured said:

The European tourist industry will do just fine with European, Asian, Caribbean, Canadian, and Australian/New Zealand tourists.

Until the US can demonstrate a strong, coordinated Federal response and the numbers start coming down, the US will continue to have a travel ban against them in many countries. The simplest solution is what worked across the pond; mandated mask wearing.

Everyone in Europe diligently wore their masks and sheltered in place to bring their numbers down. There is no way they are going to welcome US Tourists who don't believe in masks and have a country where the pandemic is out of control.

3 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

OK, lets look at it another way.... 

The USA cannot cruise or fly until its population starts to follow even basic rules. 

So, in your estimation cruiselines lose 75% of revenue for a long time to come. 

But they will go bust before too long. 

The cruiselines, in other markets, get far more than 75% "local" cruisers. 

The lines can sit on their hands and go even more bankrupt than they are now or they can be pro-active and move their market for now. 

Privately owned MSC cruises certainly wont be waiting for the CDC to give them the OK as they have such a small footprint in the US. 

Royal and Carnival need to do something before MSC becomes a much bigger and stronger player. 

Maybe, but I still contend the demand for Euro only cruisers can be met with the traditional products. Heck, they will probably scale back as well.

BTW, MSC announced two ships added to Port Canaveral next year

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

The problem is that there aren’t a lot of other itineraries that are available for the upcoming winter months. 

Heck. I say let the UK and Europe get the cruises started in the winter. 

M8

The other problem is that a lot of other countries might decide to bar US cruisers from traveling there to cruise.
Right, I cannot see anyone welcoming US citizens at this time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, cured said:

The simplest solution is what worked across the pond; mandated mask wearing.

Everyone in Europe diligently wore their masks and sheltered in place to bring their numbers down. There is no way they are going to welcome US Tourists who don't believe in masks and have a country that the pandemic is out of control in.

Just to point out that not every country in Europe has mandated mask-wearing so 'everyone' in Europe didn't diligently wear masks. I can't speak for ALL 44 countries in Europe but here in the UK mask wearing is only mandatory on public transport and that has only been the case for the last 2 weeks. When I am out and about I would estimate I see less than 10% wearing masks - and then mainly in shops (where it is not mandatory). There are other European countries which have seen little use of masks.

Having said that we haven't loosened the lockdown as quickly as many States in the US and social distancing measures are in place everywhere (for those who want to comply) - thankfully our numbers are still decreasing.

Edited by Bobal

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bobal said:

Having said that we haven't loosened the lockdown as quickly as many States in the US and social distancing measures are in place everywhere (for those who want to comply) - thankfully our numbers are still decreasing.

I wonder the beach party last week, in the UK, will bring about an uptick in cases or not. Here in Canada there have been a few gatherings in public parks and beaches but not to the same scale.  Thankfully there was not a surge because of them. 

5 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Right, I cannot see anyone welcoming US citizens at this time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I love the US as a neighbor, but I am happy that our border is shut for now and the unforeseen future. 

Edited by A&L_Ont

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

I wonder if the beach party last week will bring about an uptick in cases or not. Here in Canada there have been a few gatherings in public parks and beaches but not to the same scale.  Thankfully there was not a surge because of them. 

Exactly - and then the fact that our pubs are opening at the weekend (albeit with many rules in place) and inevitably the Brits will go crazy 🙄

Edited by Bobal

22 hours ago, Empehi said:

IMO if the CDC continues to punish the cruise lines by not moving forward with guideline negotiations to get the cruise industry sailing  from US ports,  I feel the cruise lines could begin and end cruises say in the Bahamas or Cozumel. Europe may be a little more dicey for US cruisers as an embargo of US tourists is in the works for the future.

What does everyone think?

The CDC is not punishing the cruise lines.  It is Americans who refuse to social distance wear masks and wash hands regularly that are punishing everyone who follows the guidelines.

Cruises are not going to happen for anyone in the US unless Everyone follows guidelines and we get this under control.

17 hours ago, Empehi said:

Or people could fly in

With what's happening in the south in the US, sailings from California, Texas or Florida won't be going anytime soon. The outbreaks are coming from socializing in bars. Florida just banned alcohol being served in bars. There is no way to social distance even at 1/2 capacity on a cruise ship. Passengers will not be conscience of their distancing especially after a few drinks. The cruise lines run a greater risk of creating a life threatening situation by starting up too soon as some of the States have done and I don't think anyone wants to be linked to that. 

Ye would it be cost effective to sail from the med to the Caribbean and return to the med , would there be a big interest on it too

43 minutes ago, Highanddry1 said:

Ye would it be cost effective to sail from the med to the Caribbean and return to the med , would there be a big interest on it too

Allure and Anthem and Explorer are already in the Med so once dry docks are finished they are ready to go once re-crewed. And lots of perspex installed. 

I wish I had bought shares in perspex manufacturers at the start of the year.

The EU is publishing full list of safe non EU countries tomorrow but list has been leaked and no surprise USA does not feature, Canada and Uruguay are only countries that side of pond on list, others are Japan, Australia, NZ and some others I forgot.

9 hours ago, Bobal said:

Just to point out that not every country in Europe has mandated mask-wearing so 'everyone' in Europe didn't diligently wear masks. I can't speak for ALL 44 countries in Europe but here in the UK mask wearing is only mandatory on public transport and that has only been the case for the last 2 weeks. When I am out and about I would estimate I see less than 10% wearing masks - and then mainly in shops (where it is not mandatory). There are other European countries which have seen little use of masks.

My apologies for painting all of Europe with a broad brush.  I was operating on all my cousins' info, all of whom are in Europe. I should know better than that.

Although, Europe though seems to have a different mindset against conquering this Pandemic than the US hence the numbers lowering. 

7 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

The CDC is not punishing the cruise lines.  It is Americans who refuse to social distance wear masks and wash hands regularly that are punishing everyone who follows the guidelines.

Cruises are not going to happen for anyone in the US unless Everyone follows guidelines and we get this under control.

My view is why leave home if you have to wear a mask, the pool and spa are closed, the theater is mostly empty, etc.  No fun zone!

10 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’ve had good luck with the L&S. 

M8

Prices for the 2022/2023 season will be a big shock after the prices we have paid for 2021/2022

27 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I’ve had good luck with the L&S. 

M8

Me too several times over

Me too several times over
I only did it once this last week with our Sept Oasis cruise being cancelled. No issue at all, very smooth. I mean I tried to pull a fast one and get them to book us for May because that was our original cruise that was cancelled. They didn't go for it so we are on the last week in August which honestly the later in 2021 the better. Might be a blessing in disguise not being allowed to book for May. August seems like a surer bet.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

On 6/28/2020 at 2:24 PM, Empehi said:

Or people could fly in

Shuttle is not going to help if Americans are banned from cruising. 🙄