Making the decision (pulling the plug or holding fast?)

geckoaz

When (being realistic) Oct cruise gets cancelled, we will keep original FCC from cancelled Mardi Gras Nov20 cruise and take full refund from our May cancelled cruise used for the October cruise.  Basically, we will be out $0 and still have our original $480 FCC.  Yes, we will "lose" the $600 OBC, but at this point in time, I want no $ at risk and will rebook something once cruising start again.  Time to look for a different vacation for this year.  Stay safe everyone.

If you have used FCC for the October Cruise I don't think you will get a cash refund

I don't see cruises happening in Oct, that's when they're expecting the second wave. Unfortunately, we're already booked on Jan 14 day  Journey Panama Canal cruise, it's all paid off, and I doubt it's gonna happen. I REALLY wouldn't book anything else at this time. NOBODY knows what's gonna happen going forward, so I'll keep my money outta that debacle!!!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, edspec said:

Holding fast for Thanksgiving cruise on the Panorama.  Death rates are going down, I think we'll all be looking at a much different picture w/in a month.

The death rates don't matter anymore. COVID is now established as a disease (regardless of dangerousness) that requires significant steps to stop the spread. I don't think anyone has stopped to consider the why in quite awhile. The states that opened up quickly are now closing back down again. They will be slow to re-open. The states that opened more slowly have increasing cases and are hoping to not spike. Things will not be different in a month. 

• Like 2

We have a cruise booked for October 25th on the Pride, we will decide if we are going to cancel a couple days before final pyment date in late July.  We only have a $50pp deposit down, so I would rather lose $100 than give  Carnival $2k for a maybe someday cruise.  I am hoping it gets cancelled before then.

We also have a cruise scheduled in January on the Celebrity Summitt out of San Juan.  I am kind of sceptical about that too, but we have util October to decide on that one. 

I hate to say this, but--

No cruise line is likely to cancel a cruise before they receive all the money from final payment.

they will delay the announcement of cancellation for as long as possible, so that they can collect as much money as possible by the final payment date.

And then delay repayment for over 90 days.

This is an easy source of an interest free loan, which they may or may not repay.

(They are likely to issue FCCs instead of repaying this interest free loan.)

Issuing FCCs or IOUs is as good as printing currency.

They need as much money as they can collect in order to remain solvent for as long as possible.

But I really feel sorry for all Cruise lines, because they have suffered a lot in this pandemic.

The virus is really ruining their business.

I just love to cruise and I am hoping that this virus is controlled as soon as possible, so that we can all enjoy cruising once again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have given up any hope of cruising this year and have asked to get all my deposits back, seems like it was no problem for them.

Still have one cruise booked with MSC in December with only $98 down but that got changed and currently not sure what ship and from where lol

I was relieved when my September cruise was cancelled because I knew that if it had sailed, masks would have been required.  I rescheduled for January and am hoping for the best.  I think that if cruising does open up later this year, it might be shorter cruises.  I would be open to a back-to-back of two short cruises, but not if I have to wear a mask the entire time.  It's just too risky to me to book anything this year.  My schedule is flexible enough that if cruises do open up without a lot of restrictions, I can book last minute.

Edited by TNcruising02

We have had five cancellations thus far, and I am expecting a few more.  I have serious doubts about our 10/31 cruise, as it is a seven night, and have doubts about our post-Thanksgiving three-night one.  I would hate to lose our NYE cruise on Virgin, but realize that is in jeopardy too.  Finally, we have Symphony of the Seas booked for mid-February.  That is the only one I would give a 50% chance of sailing.  But I like having cruises booked, as I have something to look forward to.  If Halloween cruise cancels, we will go to the Keys instead.  So not all bad.  

As to future cruise bookings, we won't book anything else this year, and will be looking for Spring 2021 at the earliest.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drsel said:

I hate to say this, but--

No cruise line is likely to cancel a cruise before they receive all the money from final payment.

they will delay the announcement of cancellation for as long as possible, so that they can collect as much money as possible by the final payment date.

And then delay repayment for over 90 days.

This is an easy source of an interest free loan, which they may or may not repay.

(They are likely to issue FCCs instead of repaying this interest free loan.)

Issuing FCCs or IOUs is as good as printing currency.

They need as much money as they can collect in order to remain solvent for as long as possible.

But I really feel sorry for all Cruise lines, because they have suffered a lot in this pandemic.

The virus is really ruining their business.

I just love to cruise and I am hoping that this virus is controlled as soon as possible, so that we can all enjoy cruising once again.

So what you are saying is that they will let me pay the cruise OFF (my money) knowing that they are planning to cancel and then they will keep my money as long as THEY can. And you feel sorry for THEM?

This is bad business for us but works well for them.  And IF I cancel prior to final payment they will keep my deposit even knowing they are going to cancel my cruise.  Yeah, that seems real fair to me.  Either way I lose. I can lose it now or lose use of my money later.  Got it.  Way to go cruise lines.  

• Like 1

So what you are saying is that they will let me pay the cruise OFF (my money) knowing that they are planning to cancel and then they will keep my money as long as THEY can. And you feel sorry for THEM?  

This is bad business for us but works well for them.  And IF I cancel prior to final payment they will keep my deposit even knowing they are going to cancel my cruise.  Yeah, that seems real fair to me.  Either way I lose. I can lose it now or lose use of my money later.  Got it.  Way to go cruise lines.   

Actually I feel sorry for them ONLY because of their huge business losses due to the pandemic.

Not for what you mentioned.

But Cruise lines are not even sure of which Cruises they will be forced to cancel because of the virus.

17 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I had one booked for December on Horizon in the Havana area but we pulled the plug last month.

Have had two cruises cancelled. Gave up on the remainder of this year. Rebooked the Horizon for the end of February. Crossing my fingers, getting tired of booking and rebooking.

Two things to consider....

Broadway shows are cancelled until January 2021.If producers and theater managers cannot devise procedures to keep customers safe from Covid-19 for a few hours spent enjoying a show, how can the cruise lines devise safe  procedures for passengers on a cruise ?

The numbers of Covid-19 cases lately spiking in California, Texas and Florida do not make a comfortable scenario for passengers coming to these ports to embark on a cruise anytime soon. Nor would cruise companies want to expose their staffs and ships to any Covid-19 contamination from any of these ports.

Personally, I would not be interested in any future cruise. I would save my money until cruising becomes a viable vacation choice.

• Like 1

We are holding fast right now. With our cancelled Sept. cruise, we will add FCC and OBC to our booked Premier cruise in March 2021. We have the Legend booked for the week of Thanksgiving, but not hopeful it will go. We also have a Holland America cruise booked for late Feb. 2021, a re-book of a cancelled April 2020 cruise.

I hope Americans will wake up and start using masks, social distancing, getting tested, and doing contact tracing so that the cruise industry can get back on its feet.  We live in Florida and it's a mess with cases exploding every day. This is not meant as a political comment, so don't flame me. It's just common sense with regards to what needs to be done so we can start enjoying our favorite cruise vacations again.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

My October 29 Freedom cruise was paid in full by FCC from my cancelled March cruise.  I can't see any chance it will sail but there is no benefit to my cancelling.

My March 2021 cruise is paid.  The next one currently booked isn't until March of 2022.  While it's an expensive one, it's over two-thirds paid from applying FCC from my recently cancelled September cruise.

When October gets cancelled I haven't yet decided what to do.  I will probably look for a fall 2021 date, but I might just opt for a refund.

I've just finished dealing with fallout from cancelled September cruise and am not eager to start that process again.  I'm old, disappointed, and tired!

October 29th 2020 on the Freedom??

1 hour ago, Lottacruises said:

October 29th 2020 on the Freedom??

That's the one. Too many personal reasons this one will be especially hard to see cancelled.

No my memory is in shambles.  October 24 on the Freedom.

Edited by bury me at sea
Misspoke. Wrong date.

19 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

That's the one. Too many personal reasons this one will be especially hard to see cancelled.

No my memory is in shambles.  October 24 on the Freedom.

Lol, I understand.  I'm booked for the panama canal trip on November 1st.  I knew one of us weren't going!

Hopefully we both can.

17 hours ago, drsel said:
23 hours ago, VaTech8912 said:
When (being realistic) Oct cruise gets cancelled, we will keep original FCC from cancelled Mardi Gras Nov20 cruise and take full refund from our May cancelled cruise used for the October cruise.  Basically, we will be out $0 and still have our original $480 FCC.  Yes, we will "lose" the $600 OBC, but at this point in time, I want no $ at risk and will rebook something once cruising start again.  Time to look for a different vacation for this year.  Stay safe everyone.

If you have used FCC for the October Cruise I don't think you will get a cash refund

My PVP assures me I can get my original May amount paid in cash back via refund.  Guess time will tell.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

Lol, I understand.  I'm booked for the panama canal trip on November 1st.  I knew one of us weren't going!

Hopefully we both can.

Wouldn't that be wonderful.  Good luck to you.

I've wanted to do a Panama for a long time, but none of my cruising family members can be gone from home that long.  They all have these other lives . . .

• Like 1

Well i pulled the plug on my oct 17 cruise today. I had paid it with may fcc and had 600 plus obc. The majority paid for our may 2021 panorama cruise and the rest to may 2022 horizon cruise. Our obc moved to panorama and all prepaids that did not will be refunded.when? Who knows. I did not wait for canival to cancel oct and got same deal. Win for now. 

Make the right choice for you. The worst day cruising is better than teleworking at home.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Djptcp said:

I hope Americans will wake up and start using masks, social distancing, getting tested, and doing contact tracing 

I'm holding for my Oct 4th cruise but losing hope things are getting better.

I'm in Dallas and they said govt covid tests are taking 7 to 10 days for results.

10 days later is too long to do any meaningful tracing. It also means most results you see in texas are lagging, and are results from at least a week ago. Only private testing results have faster results.

Unless someone gives us more lab help to catch up on testing so they can do effective tracing  I personally dont expect big improvements any time soon. I'm trying to stay positive, but what I read is record numbers of positive 4 days in a row .... I really hope my cruise goes, but losing hope.

Edited by firefly333