Another Choice

Host Jazzbeau

I know from reading this board that many (most) of you are long-time Paul Gauguin fans, and also sailing-ship fans.  But many seem less favorable to PG under the new ownership.  So this news may be of interest:

Windstar has announced that their [non-sailing] ship Star Breeze will head south from Alaska in September 2021 "and pick up new itineraries along the West Coast of the U.S and Mexico before arriving in Tahiti where she will sail through March 2022."

[posted in the Windstar board "Star Breeze News" thread]

No details yet about dates or itineraries for Star Breeze in Tahiti – or whether she will be supplementing or replacing Wind Spirit (a sailing-ship) which usually spends this season in Tahiti.  But it is another choice to consider.

[PS – Star Breeze is the old Seabourn Spirit sailing yacht, newly stretched (to 312 passengers) and renovated with new restaurants, new elevator, bigger pool, etc.]

• Like 1

I need to point out the obvious, well at least to me. Jazzbeau ... you are the host of the Windstar forum. 

The PG crew which is the heart and soul of the PG Cruises is still the same, a large portion of the crew has been on-board for over 10 years. The fact still remains that other cruise lines are still chasing PG, the front runner for years in FP waters. If everything goes to plan PG will have 3 ships in the South Pacific over the coming years. Two of them will be new Explorer class ships holding approximately 25 - 275 passengers each. The addition of the new ships will allow for new 'off the beaten trek' itineraries. I could see itineraries that include the Gambier and Austral island groups. Unlike most other cruise lines who sail for a 'season' the PG is home year round in the pristine waters of French Polynesia. This is another reason why PG is the leader in FP cruises.

Interestingly I was giving some thought to take a cruise in FP on Windstar when the fares went so low. Some of Windstar's biggest fans were urging me to do so and with the cheap fare I was ready to have the experience simply to compare the ships so I would be better prepared to discuss the differences from first hand experience. But then the cheap fares disappeared, darn. I have two PG cruises scheduled for next year so I no big loss 🙂

The PG is the first to start cruising again in FP,  I'm sure everyone will be eagerly awaiting to read the feedback. Much of the world wide cruise industry is watching to see how it goes for PG. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

More choices are better. Glad to hear that Windstar might  be increasing their presence in FP. I would be happy to try PG some day, but their prices are beyond what I am willing to pay. The recent Windstar sale  was enough to get me to book.

Glad that PG is restarting cruises in PG. Not glad to hear about the new owner's recent behaviors.

• Like 1

Let’s also point out the obvious to a lot of people.  No slam but truth...Tahitianbiggestkahuna runs multiple Paul Gauguin fan sites on social media and also books people on “his cruises” with the PG...nothing wrong with making money or promoting a cruise line ..just like to be fair since he “outed” jazzbeaux and his connection with the windstar on social media....works both ways 

Edited by Larro9
Spelling
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Larro9 said:

Let’s also point out the obvious to a lot of people.  No slam but truth...Tahitianbiggestkahuna runs multiple Paul Gauguin fan sites on social media and also books people on “his cruises” with the PG...nothing wrong with making money or promoting a cruise line ..just like to be fair since he “outed” jazzbeaux and his connection with the windstar on social media....works both ways 

There is a huge difference ... I'm not over on the Windstar forums promoting PG. 

Please do tell us where I promote any social media pages on CC. I never have and I never will. BTW, I make no money on my social media page. I make money from being a RE Broker and a professional photographer. On my active social media page I answer questions for people that are on other cruise lines or staying simply at a resort. Do I promote the PG? Well of course but just like I do here on the South Pacific forum when a question is asked I simply give accurate advise no matter if they are on the PG or any other cruise line. Heck,

I actively promote when asked by people to consider smaller ships when they are considering a cruise to French Polynesia and by name that always includes Windstar.  Nuff said  ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Larro9 said:

You wrote what I was thinking.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

You wrote what I was thinking.

Yes he sure does have those on social media, and was pushing PG as the only way to see Tahiti. There are lots of options and our first FP trip was on Windstar and it was just fine. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm not touting Windstar, I was just trying to offer options to the folks who have been posting comments like these:

Jazz  .... when I go over to the Windstar forum I find several current concerns by those that are already booked on Windstar or re considering to book. Nuff said.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Jazz  .... when I go over to the Windstar forum I find several current concerns by those that are already booked on Windstar or re considering to book. Nuff said.

I was a member for a short Time on one of your social media groups and your obvious free Cruises you were getting by booking people I would have left sooner. Keep your day job. I thing PG sounds like history. Just because they have a nice crew doesn’t mean the new owners, who make the decisions, are equally nice. 

Edited by alwaysonaship
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, alwaysonaship said:

Yes he sure does have those on social media, and was pushing PG as the only way to see Tahiti. There are lots of options and our first FP trip was on Windstar and it was just fine. 

I've got to point out the obvious ... Do you think I would promote other RE Brokers on my RE web page? Sure I promote PG as I believe it is the best way to visit paradise  ... but in reality I promote small ships in French Polynesia though on my one active social media page I do talk about what I know best, the PG and the resorts of French Polynesia  but always willing to share advise to anyone that has already booked with another cruise line. 

Some reasons I I think PG is the best way to experience FP  ...

1. Absolutely the best crew on any ship in French Polynesian waters

2. A ship specifically built to cruise in French Polynesia 

3. The perfect size ship, not to small not to large. Small enough to be personable but large enough to deliver many of the amenities you find on larger ships.

4. An all-inclusive adventure

5. The local Polynesian host and experts who are on-board 365 days a year

6. Calls French Polynesia home ... unlike most other cruise lines that 'visit' French Polynesia.

I could go on and on but you get my point. 

31 minutes ago, alwaysonaship said:

I was a member for a short Time on one of your social media groups and your obvious free Cruises you were getting by booking people

Facts .... 

1. Only one active social media page 😉

2. I've never received a completely 'free' trip for promoting cruises on the PG. Do I get a break on the cruise portion for my 100's and 100's of hours I spend answering questions and putting together groups? Well of course, I've never hidden that fact. But nothing is 'free' ... I do it simply because of the passion I have for the PG and Polynesia in general.

3. I'm not a travel agent, I can't book anybody ... just a love to help people get the most out of their trip of a lifetime 😉

Must go to work  .... I don't make money off of social media ...

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Facts .... 

1. Only one active social media page 😉

2. I've never received a completely 'free' trip for promoting cruises on the PG. Do I get a break on the cruise portion for my 100's and 100's of hours I spend answering questions and putting together groups? Well of course, I've never hidden that fact. But nothing is 'free' ... I do it simply because of the passion I have for the PG and Polynesia in general.

3. I'm not a travel agent, I can't book anybody ... just a love to help people get the most out of their trip of a lifetime 😉

Must go to work  .... I don't make money off of social media ...

You don't have to be a TA to get a free trip. Just get a bunch of people together and you book them. Good grief, people are not stupid.

• Like 2

Look, we PG fans all feel terrible about this, and I love the staff and crew on that ship, and always will.  But if something serious doesn't happen that involves Ponant recanting their policies or otherwise pulling up their socks, then alternatives are in order!  And let's face it, staffing will be fluid across the industry for some time to come.

We had discounted Windstar because of the elevator issue, but Star Breeze sounds like a viable option. Maybe I'll get to sail on one of the Little Sisters after all!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Look, we PG fans all feel terrible about this, and I love the staff and crew on that ship, and always will.  But if something serious doesn't happen that involves Ponant recanting their policies or otherwise pulling up their socks, then alternatives are in order!  And let's face it, staffing will be fluid across the industry for some time to come.

We had discounted Windstar because of the elevator issue, but Star Breeze sounds like a viable option. Maybe I'll get to sail on one of the Little Sisters after all!

Sounds good. Sure miss all our trips..everything we have cancelled...not sure when we will be able to go again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

If you explore this option further, note that the cabins in the new part are laid out opposite to the original ones.  The older cabins have the bed near the bathroom and the sitting area near the window or French balcony; the new cabins have the bed near the window/FB [and because of where the splice occurred, the new cabins are in what I consider the ideal center/aft location].

• Like 1

After reading about the PG’s new parent company’s policies, I did research Windstar. On their current ship doing FP, I found the rooms to be way too small for our tastes - even the owner’s “suite”(?). Are the accommodations better on the Star Breeze? 

And yes, if a cruise line cancels a cruise (them, not me) I have no interest in a time limited FCC, given the uncertain future of the pandemic. But for this “little problem” I’d still be a PG fan.

34 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

After reading about the PG’s new parent company’s policies, I did research Windstar. On their current ship doing FP, I found the rooms to be way too small for our tastes - even the owner’s “suite”(?). Are the accommodations better on the Star Breeze? 

And yes, if a cruise line cancels a cruise (them, not me) I have no interest in a time limited FCC, given the uncertain future of the pandemic. But for this “little problem” I’d still be a PG fan.

Look at the Breeze, the sizes aren't bad, certainly no worse than the PG.

Thanks, Wendy, I will check that out. On the PG, we book a “basic” balcony room, which would be too small on other itineraries. But in FP, we seem to be outside more than on other destinations. So If the Breeze has similar accommodations, that would be fine.

Windstar has just announced a "Week of Wanderlust" sale, and lots of Tahiti cruises are included:

https://www.windstarcruises.com/find-cruise/?specials=91&destination=TAHITI

Full disclosure:  I just took advantage of this sale to book a Spanish Serenade cruise to replace my cancelled one – at a large savings!  So that means I have 1 cruise booked on Windstar [none prior], vs. 0 on Paul Gauguin.  Nuff said?...

• Like 2

On 7/1/2020 at 7:50 PM, Dolebludger said:

Thanks, Wendy, I will check that out. On the PG, we book a “basic” balcony room, which would be too small on other itineraries. But in FP, we seem to be outside more than on other destinations. So If the Breeze has similar accommodations, that would be fine.

Yeah well, on the PG we routinely booked a Window E cabin on deck 4.  Same size as a balcony.  Always thought we'd rather go more times than pay big money for a (not much) bigger cabin.  The one time we had a B, forward on the pool deck, it was great, but it's really only about a foot wider than the standard balcony cabin.

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Windstar has just announced a "Week of Wanderlust" sale, and lots of Tahiti cruises are included:

https://www.windstarcruises.com/find-cruise/?specials=91&destination=TAHITI

Right, but these sailed ships don't have elevators to all decks, is that true?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer