July sale

janecambridge

We are in an era of a continual Sales!  Currently it’s the Ultimate Sale, that will roll into the July Sale, that will instantly  become some new Sale, before it’s time for the Labor Day Sale! 

On a psychological level, after watching the deterioration of Macy’s where every day became sale day, watching Oceania constantly pimp cruises does not give one a warm and fuzzy feeling about having FCC.

Is Oceania management losing sight of the forest because of the trees? Are the constant sales sewing a loss of faith in the cruise line(s)? 

Once Silver Oak Napa Valley Cab goes on sale for $75, it takes a long time before people ever pay $100+ again. They’ll just sit and wait for the next Sale! The new perceived value of SO becomes $75. The new perceived value of an Oceania cruise, becomes whatever cut rate sale price offered today. How much FCC do you have?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

Once Silver Oak Napa Valley Cab goes on sale for $75, it takes a long time before people ever pay $100+ again. They’ll just sit and wait for the next Sale! The new perceived value of SO becomes $75. The new perceived value of an Oceania cruise, becomes whatever cut rate sale price offered today.

Hmm, this is a really interesting perspective and has given me food for thought.  Since I haven't sailed on O yet, but hope to in March, I can't comment on the quality of a perhaps diminished product.  I can say that the PH suite we booked "on sale" with Oceania was less expensive than a PH suite we could have booked in the Haven on NCL.  However, the prices for that category and sailing are now higher on O than last month when we booked.  Is that a good thing?

I think that the cruise industry is desperate for bookings and will do whatever it takes to obtain them and for some, quality will suffer.

My take on this for all cruise lines is as follows; when you have a product that you can actually produce and deliver I'm interested, until then please save us both time and your money in marketing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, janecambridge said:

Just had brochure through with free upgrade sale.Up to 4 categories.Phoned to enquire about 2 cruises and no joy! The brochures have been released too early.Sale is July 1st to July 10th.😆

Doesn't the brochure  have sale dates on it??

18 minutes ago, ORV said:

My take on this for all cruise lines is as follows; when you have a product that you can actually produce and deliver I'm interested, until then please save us both time and your money in marketing. 

I think the big problem is  they  were hoping to sail by the fall  but as events unfold  that date looks  like  it will not happen

Maybe 2021  or maybe  we will be in the 2nd wave  of the virus

Seems some States/Countries  will never be free of the virus

We may be doomed to our homes

JMO

24 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I think the big problem is  they  were hoping to sail by the fall  but as events unfold  that date looks  like  it will not happen

Maybe 2021  or maybe  we will be in the 2nd wave  of the virus

Seems some States/Countries  will never be free of the virus

We may be doomed to our homes

JMO

We'd love to come to Canada but can't do that either. And that's how it should be. A lot of the US has proven themselves unworthy of travel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Once Silver Oak Napa Valley Cab goes on sale for $75, it takes a long time before people ever pay $100+ again. They’ll just sit and wait for the next Sale! The new perceived value of SO becomes $75. The new perceived value of an Oceania cruise, becomes whatever cut rate sale price offered today. How much FCC do you have?

That’s a very nice wine!

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Personally, I wouldn't pay a penny to ANY cruise line now (using FCC is a different mater)..

Let's see what the landscape looks like after this is over

I'm with you.  We have no future bookings now. We cancelled everything. Still sitting on fcc from Oceania.  If things don't improve, that fcc will become worthless.  We are home now and plan staying there.  If times were better, we would be sailing now on Viking.  Stay safe.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, janecambridge said:

Not a start date,Just  says “Ends July 10th”.!.

We received that same brochure in our mail today.  (How odd that it indeed states at least twice that it ends July 10 but nowhere states a July 1 start date.).

I was intrigued by a 25-day cruise sailing October 2, 2021 from Los Angeles to Tokyo, sailing up to Alaska crossing Dutch Harbor to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky to Tokyo.  Spouse, who I confess (1) is not at all interested in going to Alaska ever and (2) cannot bear thinking these days in particular about cruising, claims we would be freezing much of that time.  Is that true?

Just as it shut down faster than anyone expected,m everything will re-open faster than expected. 

People who want to cruise will be cruising in a few months.

The Karens who used to tut-tut about sneaking alcohol aboard (not so much an O isue) will switch to tut-tutting about wearing face coverings.

I have no fear of catxhing the Chionese Virus-of-the-Month whilst cruising

BUT

I have great fear of being aboard a ship suddenly locked down because Mabel on the next floor up and down the hall tested positive for Covid-21 or Swine Flu or some such. 

The line that gets my business, if one exists, is the one co-operating with ports to put evacuation plans in place for healthy pax.

• Like 2

Shawnino, well said.

The issue of being caught on a ship with limited to no evacuation strategy kills cruising for me.

I can take a land tour where there is medical care close by and eat great local food and see wonderful landscapes and sights.

2 hours ago, Shawnino said:

I have no fear of catxhing the Chionese Virus-of-the-Month whilst cruising

BUT

have great fear of being aboard a ship suddenly locked down because Mabel on the next floor up and down the hall tested positive for Covid-21 or Swine Flu or some such. 

The line that gets my business, if one exists, is the one co-operating with ports to put evacuation plans in place for healthy pax.

Let's not compare apples to oranges.

Plenty of people have cruised on ships with colds, coughs, Noro, flu, etc and while it was no fun everyone survived and was not caught like Diamond Princess.

'COVID just IS different.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Let's not compare apples to oranges.

Plenty of people have cruised on ships with colds, coughs, Noro, flu, etc and while it was no fun everyone survived and was not caught like Diamond Princess.

'COVID just IS different.

Fine, but when some random pax gets corona/the-next-one, what happens to the rest of us who are still healthy? Will be be locked up on board until we get sick? 

Booked a ten day June 2021 British Isles cruise with a $1,400 per person reduction in a PH3 cabin. Plus Premium air for $199. I did check DIY air and the Oceania air works out better.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 7:42 PM, CintiPam said:

We received that same brochure in our mail today.  (How odd that it indeed states at least twice that it ends July 10 but nowhere states a July 1 start date.).

I was intrigued by a 25-day cruise sailing October 2, 2021 from Los Angeles to Tokyo, sailing up to Alaska crossing Dutch Harbor to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky to Tokyo.  Spouse, who I confess (1) is not at all interested in going to Alaska ever and (2) cannot bear thinking these days in particular about cruising, claims we would be freezing much of that time.  Is that true?

We did a cruise this past August from Seward to Tokyo and it was cool but not cold. We also did it back in '10 from Alaska to Beijing in September...similar weather. BTW Dutch Harbor was fun for us Deadliest Catch fans and Petropavlovsk was very interesting...we took a tour there and rode the school bus around Dutch Harbor!!! 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LuAnn said:

We did a cruise this past August from Seward to Tokyo and it was cool but not cold. We also did it back in '10 from Alaska to Beijing in September...similar weather. BTW Dutch Harbor was fun for us Deadliest Catch fans and Petropavlovsk was very interesting...we took a tour there and rode the school bus around Dutch Harbor!!! 🙂

Thanks for responding to my question, LuAnn.  I like “cool but not cold.”  

• Like 1

Has anyone booked under this new offering?

We don't want to fly, being shut in a metal tube for 8 to 10 hours not appealing at all.

However, in spite of still waiting for our refund, we are interested in a British Isles cruise in May on Sirena.

Are we crazy to even be contemplating a cruise?

Opinions please 🙂

32 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

Has anyone booked under this new offering?

We don't want to fly, being shut in a metal tube for 8 to 10 hours not appealing at all.

However, in spite of still waiting for our refund, we are interested in a British Isles cruise in May on Sirena.

Are we crazy to even be contemplating a cruise?

Opinions please 🙂

Booked just before this offer for Sirena in May Western Europe. As I am in the UK I don’t think I can get Oceania to offer us anything to match this from the orig booking. 

I don’t think it’s crazy. Sirena is a small ship (so potentially safer), SOTON - SOTON is definitely less risky than flying to meet a cruise and the prices for the SOTON - SOTON cruises are significantly cheaper (even without the sale) than I have previously seen for Oceania from the UK.

I know a few US people have booked on our cruise, but I am confidently expecting this to be a predominantly UK based demographic.  

30 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Booked just before this offer for Sirena in May Western Europe. As I am in the UK I don’t think I can get Oceania to offer us anything to match this from the orig booking. 

Did you book direct? I don't think it would hurt ringing O and asking the question.

Don't ask, don't get 😁

We're going to go ahead and book.

1 minute ago, Glenndale said:

Did you book direct? I don't think it would hurt ringing O and asking the question.

Don't ask, don't get 😁

We're going to go ahead and book.

No we didn’t we booked via a TA, we have the added complication of needing an accessible room, might just hang on and see what they do 🙂

Good for you for booking. The prices are really probably 50% of what I have seen for comparable ex Soton sailings for Oceania 🙂