How to convince a friend who thinks she is doing Alaska in September

rslinky

Last night I got on NCL site and was invited to chat with an agent, so I did and Adrian was very ready to help me with my cruise plans.  Then I asked if the cruises out of Seattle in Sept were sailing and waited for the response.  What I got was “Agent has ended chat”.   Obviously they were not putting anything in writing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rslinky said:

Last night I got on NCL site and was invited to chat with an agent, so I did and Adrian was very ready to help me with my cruise plans.  Then I asked if the cruises out of Seattle in Sept were sailing and waited for the response.  What I got was “Agent has ended chat”.   Obviously they were not putting anything in writing.

Par for the course with NCL these days.

• Like 2

Are they allowing you to book non-existent shore excursions as well?  You could give her the numbers for a couple of private shore excursions (Wings in Ketchikan or Chilkoot Charters in Skagway) and tell her she should book them.  Maybe when they tell her they're not open and no cruise ships are going to Alaska this summer she'll get it.  

Edited by wolfie11

1 hour ago, rslinky said:

I see you’ve transitioned from helping a friend to a more direct criticism of NCL’s seeming inability to update their schedule and web site to reflect the likely reality of not cruising out of Seattle in September. 

2 hours ago, rslinky said:

This is no longer about helping a friend, it's about proving you are right and they are wrong.  Friends don't do that to each other if they are true friends.  Not cool....

• Like 1

Just now, oteixeira said:

This is no longer about helping a friend, it's about proving you are right and they are wrong.  Friends don't do that to each other if they are true friends.  Not cool....

Never was about helping a friend.  Trolling.... 

Updated June 30, 2020:    Your safety is our #1 priority—both on and off our ships. Due to the current global environment, we are extending the suspension of 2020 cruises to include:

• All sailings through September
  • The select October sailings listed below
Destinaton Affected Ship(s) Suspended Voyage Dates
Alaska Norwegian Bliss October 4 & 12
Alaska Norwegian Joy October 4
Canada/New England Norwegian Breakaway October 4 & 11
Canada/New England Norwegian Gem October 2 & 9

Guests who had an active reservation on a suspended cruise listed above will automatically receive a refund of their cruise fare in the form of a Future Cruise Credit for 125% of the amount paid to date on June 25th. The FCC must be used one year from issued date for ANY Norwegian Cruise Line voyage embarking through 2022. 

Guests who prefer to not take advantage of a future cruise credit can elect to receive a lesser refund equal to the amount paid to date to the original form of payment 90 days after Refund Request Form submission, which will be live here at 9:00 am EST on July 6, and must be submitted by no later than 11:59 pm EST on July 17, 2020.

• Like 1

If she has lots of money to spare and not afraid of falling ill with a virus - you will not convince her at all. In any way, dont limit her desire to travel. Maybe this trip will be unforgettable or even life changing? In any case, even if you are right, you will just have an argument to take your opinion into consideration 

My friend has a cruise scheduled for Alaska mid September out of Seattle.  She thinks they are going.  Another friend is even thinking of maybe booking and going  too.  I have tried to explain that ports in Canada are not open so there is no place dock to make this a legal sailing to Alaska with out Canada.  Someone posted list with  target start up dates for each Norwegian ship and her ship has a start up date in October.  Sent that to her.  She thinks that if the ship weren't sailing, they would be told.  If anyone has any more concrete evidence, let me know.  The two printed articles I have sent, evidently are not enough.  Of course, I would think just the daily news would be enough to say at least one of two things - no way do I want to cruise right now     or      no way cruise ships will be allowed to start up under current conditions.  I know it is not my problem, I just hate to see her still excited about something that is most likely not happening.

eee2ab1b70e800de0194c7de91418ea5.jpg
Happened today so you’re off the hood

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To those thinking it was a I am right, you are wrong deal with my friend, you are wrong.  I am just a logical thinker and if I know two things - Canadian ports closed and NCL listing 10-20 as their relaunch date - then I know NCL is likely not sailing.  So I did share this with my friend who did want to let go of the trip and kept saying, certainly they would have told us and they just be figuring out how to get around the Canadian.  But received an email from her this morning saying she had gotten notice the cruise  is not sailing and thanked me for the heads up even if she didn’t want to believe it.  We are real friends, no scores kept!    But now she knows and is really disappointed.  So we will both continue to talk about the the places we will be going, either together or with our own families when travel is less risky.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Has your 'friend" also told you that she's paying for the cruise from the lottery winnings she recently found out about in an anonymous email?  Or maybe the money's coming a Nigerian prince who's going to give her a million USD for assisting him in "transferring" his wealth to a more stable country?

As PT Barnum used to say, "There's one born every minute"...lol

8 minutes ago, rslinky said:

To those thinking it was a I am right, you are wrong deal with my friend, you are wrong.  I am just a logical thinker and if I know two things - Canadian ports closed and NCL listing 10-20 as their relaunch date - then I know NCL is likely not sailing.  So I did share this with my friend who did want to let go of the trip and kept saying, certainly they would have told us and they just be figuring out how to get around the Canadian.  But received an email from her this morning saying she had gotten notice the cruise  is not sailing and thanked me for the heads up even if she didn’t want to believe it.  We are real friends, no scores kept!    But now she knows and is really disappointed.  So we will both continue to talk about the the places we will be going, either together or with our own families when travel is less risky.

I was following this post and I have to say you were a good friend to her by not bursting her bubble. Better that than to have both the cruise cancelled and mad at a friend. You did the right thing!

• Like 1

Is the "friend" really your significant other?  Either way, if you want to bring a little joy to this person, consider booking a nearby hotel during the sailing.  Cancel it if the cruise happens, but if the cruise is cancelled, share the room/book additional rooms and they'll be happier to some sort of vacation rather than staying at home.

13 hours ago, Roger88 said:

If she has lots of money to spare and not afraid of falling ill with a virus - you will not convince her at all.

That's the description of a lot of people in the US. People are too self-important to take a few basic measures to help stop the spread of the virus. So now, the infection rate in FL is almost as bad as NY at its peak. How can that be?

• Like 2

On 6/30/2020 at 12:25 PM, beachcomberbill said:

Yes. It’s called kiteing and is a highly illegal financial scheme.

Actually what Maldoff did was a ponzi scheme, kiting checks is something different.

Ponzi schemes is collecting money from a third party promising certain rates of return.  They then use money from later third parties to pay back the original "investors"  The rate of return is unsustainable because the person can't get new third parties to invest.

Kiting is using the "float".  I.E. the amount of time a check takes to clear.

Here is is the closest explanation about kiting...

Somone creates accounts with banks A,B and C.  That someone writes and deposits a check for $5,000 from bank A and a check for $5,000 from bank B into account C. Neither bank A nor bank B has money to cover the checks. As soon as the funds are available at bank C, the individual withdraws all of the money. When the banks return the bad checks, bank C is left with a shortage of $10,000.

Now back to my opinion.  Nowadays attempts at check kiting has probably decreased due to how interconnected banks are now.

Edited by gatour

4 minutes ago, gatour said:

Actually what Maldoff did was a ponzi scheme, kiting checks is something different.

Ponzi schemes is collecting money from a third party promising certain rates of return.  They then use money from later third parties to pay back the original "investors"  The rate of return is unsustainable because the person can't get new third parties to invest.

Kiting is using the "float".  I.E. the amount of time a check takes to clear.

Here is is the closest explanation about kiting...

Somone creates accounts with banks A,B and C.  That someone writes and deposits a check for $5,000 from bank A and a check for $5,000 from bank B into account C. Neither bank A nor bank B has money to cover the checks. As soon as the funds are available at bank C, the individual withdraws all of the money. When the banks return the bad checks, bank C is left with a shortage of $10,000.

Now back to my opinion.  Nowadays attempts at check kiting has probably decreased due to how interconnected banks are now.

To me, the main point of alerting a friend would be to prevent them from throwing more money into a lost cause.  Sure it's nice to let them "enjoy the anticipation" but, while they are doing that are they also going to be buying airfare to the port, shopping for cruise clothing, making land reservations and paying for tours that they will be unable to get to?  To my mind, those are the reasons you might want to burst a friend's optimistic bubble.