Jump to content

Credit Card Dispute - Success


TexasDad2018
 Share

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It is not unethical or dishonest to file a claim for an item. 

 

My point is that it is fraud to make a claim by selectively providing details that substantiate your position and omitting those which are unfavorable. In this case, the OP freely admits that they selected information to disclose to their cc company and hid other information which would cause their cc company to deny the chargeback.
 

It’s like dealing with my kids. “Mom, I accidentally hit the curb and wrecked the tire on the car”. Truth: “Mom, I was racing my buddy to McD, lost control of the car, and wreaked the tire when I slammed into a center median”. 

What exactly did the OP not provide for details? The OP had a cruise canceled and filled out the form for a refund. NCL took it upon themselves to issue FCC, which is NOT what the OP asked for. So, what information is missing? FCC is NOT a refund, it's store credit.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

It is not unethical or dishonest to file a claim for an item. 

 

My point is that it is fraud to make a claim by selectively providing details that substantiate your position and omitting those which are unfavorable. In this case, the OP freely admits that they selected information to disclose to their cc company and hid other information which would cause their cc company to deny the chargeback.
 

It’s like dealing with my kids. “Mom, I accidentally hit the curb and wrecked the tire on the car”. Truth: “Mom, I was racing my buddy to McD, lost control of the car, and wreaked the tire when I slammed into a center median”. 

 

In what part did they freely admit to hiding information. NCL trying to push an unwanted FCC on them is irrelevant, that is not a refund. They were entitled to a refund and chose that option. They said "I closed the letter indicating that I thought it was ridiculous to wait this long, almost be 1/3rd of a year, to receive my money back. " So clearly they told the CC company that they had filed for a refund and simply found the terms unreasonable. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe BT is referring to the OP not telling the CC company that NCL offered them an FCC as a refund (post #3).  

If this is true and CC company did not investigate further, nor contact NCL then, it could be seen as fraud (omission of relevant  info). However, if the CC company gave the OP the refund knowing NCL gave the OP the FCC then, it's not fraudulent. 

 

So, if the OP rec'd the refund back to their CC and doesn't have an FCC attached to their NCL account, no worries. The FCC is the real kicker. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I believe BT is referring to the OP not telling the CC company that NCL offered them an FCC as a refund (post #3).  

If this is true and CC company did not investigate further, nor contact NCL then, it could be seen as fraud (omission of relevant  info). However, if the CC company gave the OP the refund knowing NCL gave the OP the FCC then, it's not fraudulent. 

 

So, if the OP rec'd the refund back to their CC and doesn't have an FCC attached to their NCL account, no worries. The FCC is the real kicker. 

 

Completely disagree. FCC is not a refund. Completely irrelevant to the discussion. OP opted for a refund and was upfront that NCL agreed to that but that the terms were simply unacceptable. They did not choose to have NCL involuntarily automatically add FCC to their account.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2020 at 7:24 PM, Love my butler said:

I will gladly pay you Thursday for a hamburger today.......

 

Very smart of you not to commit to an exact date, leaves it open to any Thursday forward 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As the original poster of this message, I thought I would provide some additional information including the letter I sent to the credit card company and the questions asked in the Chase questionnaire to file the dispute.  As you will see, I was not fraudulent in filing the dispute for services not rendered.  Everything in the letter and the questionnaire is factual.  At the end of the day, each of us has to do what they think is right to protect our financial interests.  It is not like NCL extends free credit at the end of the cruise in the event we do not have money to settle our onboard account, for let's say 90 days.

 

Here is the letter that I sent along with the receipts, NCL response as it relates to the refund and Chase questionnaire.

 

I am writing to provide additional information regarding my credit card dispute for charges related to a 10-day cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) that was scheduled to sail on May 28, 2020 that was cancelled by NCL on April 24, 2020 (see attached letter).  As per the cancellation letter from NCL, I submitted a claim for refund on May 7, 2020 (see attached e-mail confirming my request).

 

I have also attached the details of the payments made for the sailing. As these charges were made on two Chase credit cards, I have indicated which card they were charged to below: (Table of charges on credit card inserted here)

 

Norwegian Cruise Line did not provide receipts for the Specialty Dining Packages or the Water that was pre-ordered.  I have provided the e-mail showing that I loaded the Specialty Dining Package in my cart to be purchased.

 

My dispute is that I should not have to wait 90 days from filing my request for refund.  NCL cancelled the cruise on April 24, 2020 and the monies should have been refunded shortly thereafter.  If I had to wait until August 7th (which is 90 days from when I filed my refund request), this would represent almost 1/3rd of a year to obtain my refund from when NCL cancelled the cruise.  In my opinion, this is unacceptable which is why I filed this dispute.

 

Let me know if you need any additional information. Thank you for your help and support.

 

Questionnaire from Chase:

 

I purchased merchandise or service from the merchant, but did not receive it.  I should have received it on  or by (DATE)

Did you receive merchandise or service late?

Was only a portion of the merchandise or service received?

Please provide a detailed description of the merchandise or service you ordered. Also, please tell us if you know why you didn't receive it.

Did you cancel the merchandise or service?

Did you contact the merchant to resolve the issue?

If 'Yes', what was there response? (Here I indicated that I was told I had to wait 90 days)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, All-ready2cruise said:

I believe BT is referring to the OP not telling the CC company that NCL offered them an FCC as a refund (post #3).  

If this is true and CC company did not investigate further, nor contact NCL then, it could be seen as fraud (omission of relevant  info). However, if the CC company gave the OP the refund knowing NCL gave the OP the FCC then, it's not fraudulent. 

 

So, if the OP rec'd the refund back to their CC and doesn't have an FCC attached to their NCL account, no worries. The FCC is the real kicker. 

FCC is not a refund! It's a gift card. It's like trying to get money back from a store and they give you a gift card instead of the money back. Not the same thing. The OP is entitled to a refund, and filled out the form to do so. Case closed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:

FCC is not a refund! It's a gift card. It's like trying to get money back from a store and they give you a gift card instead of the money back. Not the same thing. The OP is entitled to a refund, and filled out the form to do so. Case closed.

Show me where I said an FCC was a refund equal to cash. 

 

I'm very happy the OP has rec'd his refund to his CC.  As I said before, "Cash is king".  Maybe try reading my previous post again. 

24 minutes ago, KateQ22003 said:
2 hours ago, All-ready2cruise said:

So, if the OP rec'd the refund back to their CC and doesn't have an FCC attached to their NCL account, no worries.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Show me where I said an FCC was a refund equal to cash. 

 

I'm very happy the OP has rec'd his refund to his CC.  As I said before, "Cash is king".  Maybe try reading my previous post again. 

 

What you said was "I believe BT is referring to the OP not telling the CC company that NCL offered them an FCC as a refund". Like somehow that has any bearing on what NCL owes the OP. And you are right, cash is king. NCL trying to push FCC as a refund rather than cash by having it show up in our accounts after filling out the refund form is insulting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2020 at 7:41 PM, BirdTravels said:

The case was closed because the OP hid the fact that they had received reimbursement in the form of a FCC (the OP admits it above). The OP fraudulently claimed that they did not receive any refund of any kind. When the OP filed for a cash refund, they agreed to the terms of that refund which was about 90 days when they clicked "submit". Then they went to the cc company and, once again hid the fact that they agreed to a 90 day refund, and said "the cash refund terms was too slow." Lots of things which were conveniently left out of the charge back claim to the cc company. Hope Chase never finds out.    

 

Outerdog, how many NCL refunds have you requested? We requested two, so we know exactly what the process is and how that process is communicated, in writing, from the cruiseline. 

Nope. The cruise line has every opportunity to say "but we issued a credit and we consider that a full refund." Under the terms that the provider has with cc companies they are given a chance to respond to a charge back (if the cc didn't give them this chance....highly unlikely...the cruise has a  beef with the cc company, not the consumer.

 

 My cc company does not accept that a 'credit' is a refund when services were not rendered. There is no fraud here. A credit is very much not the refund that the consumer had a legal right to.

Edited by Maya1234
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chase is not stupid.  They research claims like crazy.  They know OP received a FCC - they have lots of people following news and trends.   They would still give you a cash refund.  OP did nothing wrong.

 

We were on a Celebrity ship that was in an accident and the cruise was canceled.  We got our money back - in cash and a FCC.  At that point Celebrity would have had a reasonable expectation that they would still be cruising.  NCL is issuing FCC and not knowing if the cruise industry will ever reopen and if you can use your FCC.

 

JMHO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

NCL is not providing a service you paid for. Period end of story. You deserve your money back. FCC is just a trick to keep your money. I was given a FCC for a May cruise and I rebooked an August cruise that they canceled. On July 6, 2020 (the date I was allowed to request a refund) I submitted a refund request. I was called in August and told I will NOT be getting a refund only future cruise credit. I even contacted Christine Da Silva, VP of communications and she basically stated "sorry, we are NOT refunding you. How is it NCL can keep your money and give you no service? No other company can do this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, unhappywithncl said:

NCL is not providing a service you paid for. Period end of story. You deserve your money back. FCC is just a trick to keep your money. I was given a FCC for a May cruise and I rebooked an August cruise that they canceled. On July 6, 2020 (the date I was allowed to request a refund) I submitted a refund request. I was called in August and told I will NOT be getting a refund only future cruise credit. I even contacted Christine Da Silva, VP of communications and she basically stated "sorry, we are NOT refunding you. How is it NCL can keep your money and give you no service? No other company can do this. 

By accepting the first FCC, YOU agreed to the terms and conditions of those FCC. 
 

 

NCL: The original FCC amount will be returned to the guests' profile. If an affected booking has a previously applied FCC (as a result of a previous suspended sailing), the enhanced value future cruise credit will not be applicable. Bookings under this circumstance are not eligible for a cash refund and will receive the original value of the FCC back to the guests’ profile.

Note FCCs have no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash. If a guest opts to retain the FCC provided, the guest hereby agrees to all of NCL’s terms and conditions associated with the FCC, which can also be found on www.ncl.com/cruise-faq. Please be advised that at no time will an FCC be redeemable for cash, including but not limited to situations of possible future cruise suspensions, displacements, cancellations or if the FCC exceeds the time in which it must be used.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Trimone said:

Bit of lack of compassion here shown to fellow cruisers.

Truth is often perceived as lacking compassion when the answer differs from what the recipient wants to hear! That is quite different from true lack of compassion. 😉

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Truth is often perceived as lacking compassion when the answer differs from what the recipient wants to hear! That is quite different from true lack of compassion. 😉

Hi Hamrag,

You and I live in the Uk, we would get chargeback easily, I just have with 8 BA flights, the reason being they had removed the refund facility on their website, surely NCL must show some compassion to their customers, one cancelled cruise is bad enough but two..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Trimone said:

Bit of lack of compassion here shown to fellow cruisers.

 

18 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Truth is often perceived as lacking compassion when the answer differs from what the recipient wants to hear! That is quite different from true lack of compassion. 😉

 

2 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Hi Hamrag,

You and I live in the Uk, we would get chargeback easily, I just have with 8 BA flights, the reason being they had removed the refund facility on their website, surely NCL must show some compassion to their customers, one cancelled cruise is bad enough but two..

 

When you said 'lack of compassion here shown to fellow cruisers', I had assumed you meant within the thread generally and not NCL towards its customers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 It’s been a few months but to really get some “feathers” ruffled I’ll add this. I was supposed to be on the June 28 breakaway. They canceled obviously. Just like everyone else I called Amex said the time was too long and I didn’t want there white piece of paper credit I wanted the green paper. Amex took 30 days asked for more info I referred them to the NCL website with there terms. Amex returned my money closed the case because Ncl didn’t respond. Now I used a chase card for my initial deposit so i still needed to file a refund request for my 150 deposit. I got my 150 back July 28 ( shocking only 83 days I guess I’m special). Because of poor customer service and poor accounting practices at ncl they refunded my Amex too. So I got a double refund and 30 days have already passed. Guess who isn’t getting there money back NCL. They held on to my money so I’m holding there’s. Blacklist here I come. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stick to your guns OP.

 

You are entitled to a refund.

 

I am fighting arrogant Air Canada for a refund of a flight AC cancelled in August. Only canadian airlines refuse to provide a refund (aided by our anti-consumer  federal transportation department) , the law indicates that US and EU airlines must provide refunds - and I have easily received a refund for a canadian Air Transat flight from Paris to Toronto.

 

US law applies to Air Canada as they land in the US. I made a complaint to the US DOT along with a zillion other AC angry customers. 

 

My Bank of Montreal MasterCard dispute resolution is doing nothing. I have a file and have submitted all required evidence. It has been a month.

Today I am escalating to the Bank of Montreal Ombudsman and if not happy to the Canadian Banking regulation group.

 

I did not get what I purchased and AC cancelled, not me. Simple.

 

Never give up and never give in.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

It has been a month.

Today I am escalating to the Bank of Montreal Ombudsman and if not happy to the Canadian Banking regulation group.

 Educate me please what are these groups. Is this the equivalent of the US federal reserve?  I had to look up Ombudsman I had never heard that word before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: PONANT Cruises & Expeditions
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...