So FRUSTRATED with no refund 98 days!

dogm

I cancelled my cruise on 3/23/20  for my April 30 Cruise on the Pearl.  Got an email back from NCL after I filled out the cancellation form.  I did not want the FCC. I think 90 days is an absurd amount of time to wait for a refund, however, given the circumstances, i understand.  I called NCL on 6/17 and they said my refund was in the works.  I called today, 98 days after cancelling, and after getting cut off 3 times, I finally talked with a supervisor.  She stated that a code was placed on my reservation that represented "Refund with Penalties"   She said someone called in to cancel this cruise on 3/20.  This sounds super shady to me!   Are you kidding me??  NCL cancelled the cruise due to Coronovirus and gave us 2 options.....Future Cruise Credit or total cash refund!  So, on 3/23 I followed the directions and cancelled via the online form and requested a full cash refund.  

The supervisor is going to research how this code got placed and listen to recordings to see if it was me that cancelled. Wow, does anyone else think this is shady?  They are stating i will only get 25% of my payment back.   Has anyone else had this problem??   Would you recommend that I go to my Chase Visa and put in a dispute?  Thanks for any feedback!

Edited by dogm
spelling

54 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Good luck getting any cash back.

Threads like this make me even more resolved in my decision to never again pay for a cruise four months from sailing date. Last minute cruises for me.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, dogm said:

I cancelled my cruise on 3/23/20  for my April 30 Cruise on the Pearl.  Got an email back from NCL after I filled out the cancellation form.  I did not want the FCC.

If you cancelled that would mean that NCL is correct...you only will get the refund allowed within that cancellation window. The only way to get the full amount back would have been to take the FCC under the peace of mind policy.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

If you cancelled that would mean that NCL is correct...you only will get the refund allowed within that cancellation window. The only way to get the full amount back would have been to take the FCC under the peace of mind policy.

Exactly correctly.  I cancelled my Mar. 29th cruise when NCL said I'd need a Dr''s note in order to cruise. That didn't go over too well with me... throw my Dr under the bus just to take a cruise, no way!!

However, I guess what's different in my situation, is that the rep told me up front that I'd only qualify for an FCC. He even explained what all would be included in the FCC which was pretty much everything I'd paid.  

I know most want their money back but for me, it worked out well (at least for now) since I had a major B2B booked for April 2021.  Most of it's paid for with just a little left to pay at final payment in Dec.

I'm satisfied with the way it turned out for me, sorry it's not the same for you OP. 

If you cancelled that would mean that NCL is correct...you only will get the refund allowed within that cancellation window. The only way to get the full amount back would have been to take the FCC under the peace of mind policy

No...you are wrong!  We received a notice March 13th that stated we could cancel for a 125% FCC or 100% cash refund.  So, we opted to cancel for full refund!  They gave us a link to fill out the refund form.  I did this with probably thousands of others.  

Here's the good news!  I just heard back from a NCL Supervisor. She researched my dilemma and noticed that the agent that cancelled our cruise put in the wrong reason for cancellation.  She went through our whole file and LISTENED to all of conversations with NCL.  She agreed....it was their mistake.  She put a request for the refund through properly and can't tell me how long it will take.  I am pretty happy that someone from NCL came through for me.  I hope I don't have to wait another 90 days! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

No...you are wrong!  We received a notice March 13th that stated we could cancel for a 125% FCC or 100% cash refund.  So, we opted to cancel for full refund!  They gave us a link to fill out the refund form.  I did this with probably thousands of others.  

Here's the good news!  I just heard back from a NCL Supervisor. She researched my dilemma and noticed that the agent that cancelled our cruise put in the wrong reason for cancellation.  She went through our whole file and LISTENED to all of conversations with NCL.  She agreed....it was their mistake.  She put a request for the refund through properly and can't tell me how long it will take.  I am pretty happy that someone from NCL came through for me.  I hope I don't have to wait another 90 days! 

31 minutes ago, dogm said:

If you cancelled that would mean that NCL is correct...you only will get the refund allowed within that cancellation window. The only way to get the full amount back would have been to take the FCC under the peace of mind policy

Glad it worked out for you. I wasn't aware they were allowing full refunds with that short of cancellation. I would guess the rep didn't know that either which is why is was mis-classified in the system.

36 minutes ago, KSSS2013 said:

Glad it worked out for you. I wasn't aware they were allowing full refunds with that short of cancellation. I would guess the rep didn't know that either which is why is was mis-classified in the system.

Thanks!   Everyone within their date ranges could have opted for a cash refund.  In fact, it was on their NCL website opening page for a few weeks. 

8 hours ago, Von & John said:

At the time OP cancelled - all cruising was closed, due to C-19 & they were attempting to disembark remaining on-board passengers.

Not sure how this relates to refunding. One wouldn't think reservations/refund/call representatives wouldn't  have anything to do with disembarking people.

Cruise lines were shut down from sailing, they were still taking reservations for cruises that weren't going to sail. Which just added to the problem of overwhelming the system for the refunds.

Edited by beerman2

21 hours ago, dogm said:

So YOU didn't cancel, NCL did.  Your choice of words was the reason many people responded the way they did.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hallux said:

So YOU didn't cancel, NCL did.  Your choice of words was the reason many people responded the way they did.

Actually NCL told OP someone called on the 20th and cancelled. OP said she didn't call until the 23rd. After NCL cancelled the cruise.

"Refund with penalties" was attached to their account at that time (3/20).

Edited by beerman2

2 hours ago, hallux said:

I did cancel.  NCL gave us a choice.  I guess the 3rd was to wait and see if they cancelled.  If you had a cruise during this March-April time period, there was so much information presented each day.  I guess the 3 choices were (1) you cancel and get cash refund (2) you cancel and get a 125% FCC (3) you do nothing and wait for NCL to cancel or cruise.   I needed to present the timeline to the NCL rep.  The NCL rep that helped me was phenominal!  Now, I just wait for the refund.

1 hour ago, dogm said:

I did cancel.  NCL gave us a choice.  I guess the 3rd was to wait and see if they cancelled.  If you had a cruise during this March-April time period, there was so much information presented each day.  I guess the 3 choices were (1) you cancel and get cash refund (2) you cancel and get a 125% FCC (3) you do nothing and wait for NCL to cancel or cruise.   I needed to present the timeline to the NCL rep.  The NCL rep that helped me was phenominal!  Now, I just wait for the refund.

Now I'm thoroughly confused..... many many people on here report that the choice for FCC or Refund was only for those who waited and NCL cancelled. If you pulled the trigger first and inside any penalty window - you're on the hook for penalties and no FCC / Refund choice. 

Am I misunderstanding this?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Not sure how this relates to refunding. One wouldn't think reservations/refund/call representatives wouldn't  have anything to do with disembarking people.

Cruise lines were shut down from sailing, they were still taking reservations for cruises that weren't going to sail. Which just added to the problem of overwhelming the system for the refunds.

Great Point...
I didn't provide a good point of reference, as to what I was responding to...

Others were questioning - if the trip was cancelled in a short time frame, why  the OP believed they should receive a complete refund - & I was attempting to respond to this specific question.

Yes the pandemic & the pandemic response have created involuntary consequences – in addition to illness, death, social distancing, hunkering down / locking down, supply chain challenges - food & goods shortages & economic challenges – in regards to the cruising world it’s also included temporary cruising shut down, cruise lines in financial distress, great unknowns for the future & frustration with refunds for cancelled cruises.

I too feel the pain…
I didn’t struggle with NCL, rather with Celebrity for a March 15th cruise…

Edited by Von & John

3 hours ago, esm54687 said:

Now I'm thoroughly confused..... many many people on here report that the choice for FCC or Refund was only for those who waited and NCL cancelled. If you pulled the trigger first and inside any penalty window - you're on the hook for penalties and no FCC / Refund choice. 

Am I misunderstanding this?

Correct. you'd lose the cruise fare portion straight away including any FCC's, but you ought to be able to claim a refund for port taxes, govt fees, and any prepaid gratuities/service charges since those services were not provided by the merchant.

• Like 1

Exactly what happened to me.  I have no idea where the "we were given a choice of refund or FCC" is coming from if you cancelled the cruise.  To me, since I did cancel my cruise, Mar 29, NCL Dawn, TPA to NYC and was only given the choice of FCC, DONE, and it was made very clear to me that I was not entitled to a cash refund, ever. 

I had actually accepted the possibility that I would receive nothing since I cancelled the cruise.  I was quite happy when the FCC did actually show up on my account, even though it said I needed to use it by Mar. 29th 2021.   

This whole experience has been so new to so many that to castigate those who took the new T&Cs incorrectly is ridiculous... I was glad that some knew how to translate the new path being followed.