Cruise Critic Community
ontheweb

I did not realized how much I had saved!

I saw when I looked at my online account at my cc site that our small refundable deposit and excursion had been credited earlier this week (about a week short of 90 days from when we cancelled our July cruise.)

When DW and I took a walk this morning, I told her. The first thing she said was if we had the cruise next month she would at this time have bought a bunch of new clothes. And add to that considering all the pictures she would have taken in London before the cruise, the Norwegian fjords, and then Stonehenge on our excursion back, there would have been a lot more cost in ink and printing paper. (Actually I just bought paper for her as she is still printing pictures from Peru from last summer.) The cruise might have been the least of the total costs.😃

If the cruise lines are losing billions of dollars every month, it's the cruisers like us who are saving the same amount of money

I've saved tons of money by not traveling and working from home.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

she is still printing pictures from Peru from last summer.)

She PRINTS photos????? Wow. Two years ago I printed some - not from travel - for our SIL's 40th birthday. Of him, our daughter and the grands. Made him an album. Before that I can't remember printing any photos of travel or anything else since we did a safari to Kenya and Tanzania in 2008! And I don't buy clothes usually for travel. Oh, wait, I did buy a knit cap when we were on our Norwegian cruise. I guess I'm not very expensive 🙂

45 minutes ago, clo said:

She PRINTS photos????? Wow. Two years ago I printed some - not from travel - for our SIL's 40th birthday. Of him, our daughter and the grands. Made him an album. Before that I can't remember printing any photos of travel or anything else since we did a safari to Kenya and Tanzania in 2008! And I don't buy clothes usually for travel. Oh, wait, I did buy a knit cap when we were on our Norwegian cruise. I guess I'm not very expensive 🙂

I forgot albums; she always needs new photo albums. 

She also sometimes does watercolors from the pictures she prints; in fact I think she is doing one right now.

We do save sometimes from her being an art teacher and very talented. For our very first cruise, she was excited about the formal nights, and bought patterns and materials and made her formal dresses. Previously she had made her wedding dress basically the day before our wedding as she was in her first semester as a graduate student in art education that summer until the week before our wedding. My mother was in a true panic as the date kept getting closer without her dress being made.

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

She also sometimes does watercolors from the pictures she prints; in fact I think she is doing one right now.

We do save sometimes from her being an art teacher and very talented. For our very first cruise, she was excited about the formal nights, and bought patterns and materials and made her formal dresses. Previously she had made her wedding dress basically the day before our wedding as she was in her first semester as a graduate student in art education that summer until the week before our wedding. My mother was in a true panic as the date kept getting closer without her dress being made.

The like I just gave you is for your wife!👍

11 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I have albums...on Google Drive 🙂 

12 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

The like I just gave you is for your wife!👍

Thanks, I like her a whole lot too.

26 minutes ago, clo said:

I have albums...on Google Drive 🙂 

We have 64 photo albums .I bought several more two years ago for future cruises.

19 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have 64 photo albums .I bought several more two years ago for future cruises.

We travel a fair amount and I have all my photo albums from the last dozen or so years  on my little Chromebook. So I can show them to people all over the world or while sitting on my sofa 🙂

2 minutes ago, clo said:

We travel a fair amount and I have all my photo albums from the last dozen or so years  on my little Chromebook. So I can show them to people all over the world or while sitting on my sofa 🙂

I have photos from my family vacations dating back to 1945 (my parents and I).I have photos of my wife and I going back to 1967.I still have cameras that I go to CVS to develop pictures.

I also have pictures in my phone .I am not totally ancient.

I have credit balances in three of my credit cards all from cancelled cruise and air refunds. Never feel so well off.

I have couple of air refunds and credits. Also credit balances from my canceled cruises.

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

If you want to save money and time, instead of printing the photos yourself, send them to an online photo album service. They create a physical album for you and provide any additional hard copy prints you want.  

12 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

If you want to save money and time, instead of printing the photos yourself, send them to an online photo album service. They create a physical album for you and provide any additional hard copy prints you want.  

I think she enjoys printing them and physically manipulating them. She is an art teacher. She says she loves art. (and that is not my name.)

After finally getting my credit card refunded for cancelled cruises and other travel, I called our CC company to ask if they would forward a cash amount to me.  I mean the cruise line held my money for about 3 months, and I didn't want my credit card to keep that high of a negative balance for the same time.

The CC agent said it would take 7 to 10 business days to get a check. We had a 2 week Egypt/Nile River land cruise, a 2 week London/Norwegian fjord like the OP, a Panama cruise, and a 10 day Iceland land tour in search of the northern lights cancelled.  Throw in flights, hotels, excursions, etc and it became a significant amount.

Much better in my hands than either the travel agency, cruise line, airline or credit card companies!

Edited by evandbob

Stick those refunds in some high-interest account....and count yourself lucky!  Cruising will resume one day, but it's not gonna be soon, I'm afraid!  Keep pocketing your savings!

53 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Much better in my hands than either the travel agency, cruise line, airline or credit card companies!

We did that also.

21 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Stick those refunds in some high-interest account....and count yourself lucky!  Cruising will resume one day, but it's not gonna be soon, I'm afraid!  Keep pocketing your savings!

And where would one find a "high-interest account"?  LOL.

Photo are so important.... have got a four photo books of our travels....

only one is of cruises and it was hard to limit the number of photos, in the end only 144

But our walls are covered in photos from our favorite places  . in the lounge we have 23 of by photos on the wall.... also use them as wallpaper on the computer...

So one can be look at all the great memories....

Cheers Don

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I think she enjoys printing them and physically manipulating them. She is an art teacher. She says she loves art. (and that is not my name.)

You can change your name to Art.😀

2 hours ago, chipmaster said:

I want to spend what I saved, but can't go anywhere 😞

We've bought caviar and foie gras 🙂

2 hours ago, clo said:

We've bought caviar and foie gras 🙂

That is nice but would not eat either..... and one doesn't go a cruise for fine dining....

Best done on land.. particularly with fresh produce available every day.....

example   oysters harvested in the morning and shucked just before being serviced at lunch  with a crisp riesling 

Cheers Don 

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

You can change your name to Art.😀

You can call me Al (Paul Simon), but that also is not my name.

For identification in this group, you can use ontheweb, or Woodstock is fine.