Do you consider the volendam could go???

portcbob

I hope not. It is one of the better size ships, and in pretty good condition the last time I sailed her. 
I'll be sorry to see the last two S-class ships go, too. But at least they are older. When all those smaller ships are gone, so am I. 

• Like 8

Personally, I think Veendam and Maasdam are history.  Of the R Class ships, the Zaandam probably has become a pariah due to the bad press received due to the virus.  If not for PR reasons, she should leave the fleet before the others of that Class.

12 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I hope not. It is one of the better size ships, and in pretty good condition the last time I sailed her. 
I'll be sorry to see the last two S-class ships go, too. But at least they are older. When all those smaller ships are gone, so am I. 

Me too Ruth.   We refuse to get on a ship with more than 1900 passengers.  I am too cheap to pay the luxury lines, didn’t like Oceania so it will likely be the end of my cruising days

• Like 2

Another thought about the R Class ships:  a friend of mine who frequently sails on Amsterdam had an Officer tell him that the Amsterdam was "rusting inside out".  Such is controlled in order to maintain the integrity of the ship.  But, it does make one wonder if that is not also an issue that HAL/CCL will consider as to which ships leave their fleets.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Another thought about the R Class ships:  a friend of mine who frequently sails on Amsterdam had an Officer tell him that the Amsterdam was "rusting inside out".  Such is controlled in order to maintain the integrity of the ship.  But, it does make one wonder if that is not also an issue that HAL/CCL will consider as to which ships leave their fleets.

They don't build ships the way they did back in the day. The first ship we sailed on was Sitmar's Fairwind in 1982, she was built in 1957 as the Cunard Sylvania and was 47 years old when she was sold to the scrappers in India. She also sailed as the Dawn Princess and then the Albatross for a German line.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My experience on the Rotterdam led me to believe it should be scrapped 

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Personally, I think Veendam and Maasdam are history.  Of the R Class ships, the Zaandam probably has become a pariah due to the bad press received due to the virus.  If not for PR reasons, she should leave the fleet before the others of that Class.

They could rename it.   As a business woman that is what I would do.  I like the zaandam. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

They could rename it.   As a business woman that is what I would do.  I like the zaandam. 

I like the Zaandam as well.  Two cruises on her with the most recent to South America and Antarctica.  An excellent ship.  Renaming her would be putting "lipsick on a pig".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A little tidbit; if a passenger ship, any passenger ship, would be "rusting inside out," that ship would not be able to pass the United States Coast Guard's regular inspection process and, as a result, they, the Coasties, would not allow her to sail until that "rusting inside out" dilemma would be taken care of to their satisfaction. All HAL ships call on U.S. ports on a regular basis and, as such, all must pass such an inspection  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

I like the Zaandam as well.  Two cruises on her with the most recent to South America and Antarctica.  An excellent ship.  Renaming her would be putting "lipsick on a pig".  

As fans of HAL we might keep score but most consumers easily forget.   

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

They don't build ships the way they did back in the day.

I sailed on a Caribbean cruise on the Veendam two years after she had been introduced.  During my 7 days aboard, I had maintenance staff in my bathroom repairing the grout around the bathtub had had come loose and was peeling off the tub.

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Re; the "schweindam," I do believe you forgot a "t" somewhere............🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

A little tidbit; if a passenger ship, any passenger ship, would be "rusting inside out," that ship would not be able to pass the United States Coast Guard's regular inspection process and, as a result, they, the Coasties, would not allow her to sail until that "rusting inside out" dilemma would be taken care of to their satisfaction. All HAL ships call on U.S. ports on a regular basis and, as such, all must pass such an inspection  

Thanks for your post Copper.  I am not saying anything in my post other than what I was told by a long time cruiser on the Amsterdam who shared that observation from an Officer.  

"Rusting inside out" is not surprising for a vehicle.  I have had 10 year old cars that demonstrated such a "quality".  

13 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Thanks for your post Copper.  I am not saying anything in my post other than what I was told by a long time cruiser on the Amsterdam who shared that observation from an Officer.  

"Rusting inside out" is not surprising for a vehicle.  I have had 10 year old cars that demonstrated such a "quality".  

No worries mate! 😉 Would love to have a chat with that officer so he can show me the "rusting inside out" part, having worked on that ship for several hundred days over the last several years and knowing her inside out as part of weekly HESS inspections 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RuthC said:

We spent 30 days on the Volendam to the Amazon in Nov./Dec. 2019 and I thought she was very well maintained.  The Zaandam is also a favorite.  It will be very sad to see the smaller ships eliminated.

• Like 2

I'm with most other folks responding here.  I prefer the S-class and R-class ships (see my expanded signature).  I've sailed a couple of times on Eurodam only because of Captain Scott, but he's retired now.  Enormodams and humungoudams just ain't my style.  I second RuthC's comment -- when they are gone, I am gone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

I'm with most other folks responding here.  I prefer the S-class and R-class ships (see my expanded signature).  I've sailed a couple of times on Eurodam only because of Captain Scott, but he's retired now.  Enormodams and humungoudams just ain't my style.  I second RuthC's comment -- when they are gone, I am gone.

I’m with you on that. And no Kingkongdams for me, either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

They don't build ships the way they did back in the day. The first ship we sailed on was Sitmar's Fairwind in 1982, she was built in 1957 as the Cunard Sylvania and was 47 years old when she was sold to the scrappers in India. She also sailed as the Dawn Princess and then the Albatross for a German line.

I agree with this.  When I was on the Prinsendam I was joined by an officer on the Lido “secret evil” area and he told me that the ship was built far better than the others.

He pointed to the beams and told me how they would be built now versus the quality that was in that ship.

He talked at length of the quality on the ship and the difference in the new builds.  

this was a friendly conversation, not something I started or asked and I was enthralled.

I learned a lot and learned to look at certain things and he was right 😉 

Just wish HAL had spent the money on her instead of selling her to Phoenix Riessen who was willing to spend something like 40 million euros to refurbish her.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Av8rix said:

when they are gone, I am gone.

With respect ...  has anyone considered this as a deliberate brand repositioning? Red team / blue team positioning notwithstanding, this is a prescient quote:

"You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."  --Rahm Emanuel

Scott. 

3 hours ago, Loreto said:

We spent 30 days on the Volendam to the Amazon in Nov./Dec. 2019 and I thought she was very well maintained.  The Zaandam is also a favorite.  It will be very sad to see the smaller ships eliminated.

We were on the Amazon trip as well as the following Caribbean cruise.  We've sailed on the Volendam well over three months total time over the years.  We also liked the Zaandam when we did an Antarctica cruise.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, portcbob said:

Hi fellow hal cruisers.

Have been reading where some of the older ships owned by carnival Corp may be sold or scraped.

Do you think the volendam could be one as it is quite old.

I really hope not as I have a 32 day cruise booked on her for feb. 2022.  I would hate to see her, or Rotterdam my favorite ship or even Amsterdam leave the fleet.  I guess like others when that happens I will also say good bye.  I sailed the Koningsdam and though her crew were very good the ship just didn't have the style or elegance the older ships had.

• Like 1

I personally think that if the HAL brand survives the shutdown of operations that all 4 Rotterdam class vessels will remain in service. They play a very specific role for Carnival Corporation as part of the HAL fleet. The Maasdam and Veendam are most likely not returning to service.