Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Oville

EU Canada yes, USA no.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Since you are independent sister countries under the Queen, how is the border situation with the UK which now does not fall under the EU?  Just wondering.  I have not seen anything about this.

Citizens of Commonwealth countries enjoy no particular privileges or exemptions when it comes to the Canadian entry restrictions related to the coronavirus, and as far as I know, the same applies to Commonwealth citizens, including Canadians, wishing to visit the UK. Similarly, citizens from the EU are still subject to Canadian entry restrictions at the current time, even if we are permitted to enter the EU. Of course, we are still subject to the GOC global travel advisory against non-essential travel, so holidays in the EU or UK are still some time off.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may explain our current “success” story.  Our population of about 38 million is spread over the second largest country (after Russia) in the world. Toronto metropolitan area population about 6 million has had more than its share of problems. Many small towns, rural areas has helped us contain the virus. 
Johanne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I downloaded the chart from one of my morning media feeds, but I don't recall which one. The chart was based on the extensive information held by the John Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu  The website is well worth visiting.

 

This chart was taken directly from the website. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases It shows the daily number of new cases for the 10 most affected countries, based on the reported number of deaths by COVID-19 per 100,000 population and having more than 1 million inhabitants. The information was update today, July 2:1762245538_ScreenShot2020-07-02at8_30_19AM.thumb.png.97303da137270c177a6db4309ea6f1e8.png

 

 

Where is China? That is where this virus came from

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

th

14 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Where is China? That is where this virus came from

That would require the Chinese govt to provide accurate data...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

th

That would require the Chinese govt to provide accurate data...

Many virologists understand that the data provide for US numbers is about one-tenth of actual cases.  Yesterday new cases were over 52,000.  Let me repeat that: New cases over 52,000.  Actual numbers could eb as high as 10 times that, or around 500,000!

 

Do agree that totalitarian states like China and Russia can skew numbers.  I'll let WHO and institutions like Johns Hopkins and the US intelligence community figure what the real numbers are...  China's numbers are arguably small since they aggressively attacked the spread, quarantined people and shut down all movement.  Wearing masks in China, even before the arrival of COVID-19, was "normal" do to pollution. We, in the US, need to focus on containment, social distancing and wearing masks.

 

In the meantime, China's numbers have no bearing on cruising from US ports.  As US numbers increase daily and with some virologists expecting cases as high as 100,000/day ("official"), cruise ports will remain closed, cruise ships will remain in "storage," and tourists from overseas will remain blocked.

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I downloaded the chart from one of my morning media feeds, but I don't recall which one. The chart was based on the extensive information held by the John Hopkins University Coronavirus Resource Center. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu  The website is well worth visiting.

 

This chart was taken directly from the website. https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases It shows the daily number of new cases for the 10 most affected countries, based on the reported number of deaths by COVID-19 per 100,000 population and having more than 1 million inhabitants. The information was update today, July 2:1762245538_ScreenShot2020-07-02at8_30_19AM.thumb.png.97303da137270c177a6db4309ea6f1e8.png

 

 

Quite staggering really, Brazil is very third world in many places with people packed together in the slum areas but the US with it’s infrastructure ?

Edited by yorky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2020 at 12:27 PM, Blackduck59 said:

 

I'm not sure when the border will open without quarantine. I think we are sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place almost literally. For the safety of the citizens on both sides of the border we must keep our normally open border with the US closed. Unfortunately even with the best efforts of the many millions of Americans that have taken this seriously there are also millions who do not. So it become a very hot political potato if we would open our border to the EU yet keep it closed for non essential (tourist) travel from our closest neighbour, even though we still maintain essential trade.

So do we open our border to the EU and the other nations on the "list" but remain closed to the US? Imagine the ensuing name calling if we did

Blackduck59, just between us fellow Canadians, I was hoping that Canada would join the US on the EU ban to protect us from Canadians returning back from the EU. At the same time I can't blame Canadians from wanting to take advantage of Americans not being allowed to travel to the EU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, yorky said:

Quite staggering really, Brazil is very third world in many places with people packed together in the slum areas but the US with it’s infrastructure ?

It wouldn’t surprise me that Brazil’s problem is much, much worse than reported.  Not to say the US hasn’t got a real problem on their hands but comparing the two countries is not overly revealing in my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, newts.travel said:

Blackduck59, just between us fellow Canadians, I was hoping that Canada would join the US on the EU ban to protect us from Canadians returning back from the EU. At the same time I can't blame Canadians from wanting to take advantage of Americans not being allowed to travel to the EU. 

Huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Huh?

Less people travelling to the EU. Make any sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, newts.travel said:

Less people travelling to the EU. Make any sense?

I suppose.  In any event, Government of Canada’s global advisory on non-essential travel remains in place so not too likely that many Canadians will be traveling to EU anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, newts.travel said:

Blackduck59, just between us fellow Canadians, I was hoping that Canada would join the US on the EU ban to protect us from Canadians returning back from the EU. At the same time I can't blame Canadians from wanting to take advantage of Americans not being allowed to travel to the EU. 

People returning to Canada are subject to screening upon their arrival and as well as a mandatory 14-day quarantine. Those measures, combined with the GOC non-essential travel advisory, should result in no meaningful increased threat of transmission because of the EU's acceptance of Canadians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

People returning to Canada are subject to screening upon their arrival and as well as a mandatory 14-day quarantine. Those measures, combined with the GOC non-essential travel advisory, should result in no meaningful increased threat of transmission because of the EU's acceptance of Canadians.

 

Sounds good. Makes me feel better. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I suppose.  In any event, Government of Canada’s global advisory on non-essential travel remains in place so not too likely that many Canadians will be traveling to EU anytime soon.

Great! Another poster said that a Canadians coming back from EU will have to quarantine for 2 weeks.  But this may be hard to enforce. Anyways, thanks for the info. Again, great time to travel to the EU if you want to put up with extra health protocols that will be in place during and after travel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, yorky said:

Quite staggering really, Brazil is very third world in many places with people packed together in the slum areas but the US with it’s infrastructure ?

This and similar charts are based on all available information, but I think that we are all fairly skeptical about accuracy of some of the countries' data. Nevertheless, I believe that it provides a useful indicator that, for this snapshot in time, the US, Brazil, India and Russia are doing worse than the other 6 included countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was so excited when the EU announced on June 30th that it was opening its borders, sans quarantine, to Canadians, I immediately booked a flight to Italy, July 9-19.  I wasn’t worried about wearing masks and sanitizing hands constantly, I miss Italy, and wanted to visit Toscana during peak sunflower season, and enjoy a relatively tourist free Italy.  And try to come to terms with missing my grandsons Christening (in the UK in April), miss my girls trip to Italy in May, a family reunion in Croatia in June, my Mum dying of Covid in May.....and then the announcement that my daughter’s wedding had to be postponed.  Really felt this trip would help me heal.

 

Of course, the very next day, Italy announced it would NOT be joining the other EU countries in this....that we would still have to quarantine.  And I have to cancel again. And just for kicks, my beautiful 13 year old dog died later that night.
 

Sigh.  2020 has officially defeated me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Diamond lover said:

I was so excited when the EU announced on June 30th that it was opening its borders, sans quarantine, to Canadians, I immediately booked a flight to Italy, July 9-19.  I wasn’t worried about wearing masks and sanitizing hands constantly, I miss Italy, and wanted to visit Toscana during peak sunflower season, and enjoy a relatively tourist free Italy.  And try to come to terms with missing my grandsons Christening (in the UK in April), miss my girls trip to Italy in May, a family reunion in Croatia in June, my Mum dying of Covid in May.....and then the announcement that my daughter’s wedding had to be postponed.  Really felt this trip would help me heal.

 

Of course, the very next day, Italy announced it would NOT be joining the other EU countries in this....that we would still have to quarantine.  And I have to cancel again. And just for kicks, my beautiful 13 year old dog died later that night.
 

Sigh.  2020 has officially defeated me.

Very sorry to read about your pup/friend.   

Edited by Ride-The-Waves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Diamond lover said:

2020 has officially defeated me.

A true annus horribilis. My deepest sympathy for the losses that you have suffered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Since you are both independent sister countries under the Queen, how is the border situation with the UK which now does not fall under the EU?  Just wondering.  I have not seen anything about this.

 

Sorry for the tardy reply TeeRick, I have stopped following this thread, I don't think I have anything further to add. That being said, to answer your question, as far as I know our border is still closed to international travel and Canadians have a travel advisory against international travel. So my guess is if Canadians do travel, when they return home they will be required to quarantine just as we do now should we leave the country. I'm guessing that also means if you do leave and need to come home in a hurry you would be on your own as far as paying for the repatriation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, newts.travel said:

Blackduck59, just between us fellow Canadians, I was hoping that Canada would join the US on the EU ban to protect us from Canadians returning back from the EU. At the same time I can't blame Canadians from wanting to take advantage of Americans not being allowed to travel to the EU. 

 

I think fouremco beat me to it just be cause the EU says it's okay for Canadians to travel there our Government hasn't said it's okay. Apparently we can go but be prepared to go through the whole Quarantine routine when you get back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, newts.travel said:

Great! Another poster said that a Canadians coming back from EU will have to quarantine for 2 weeks.  But this may be hard to enforce. Anyways, thanks for the info. Again, great time to travel to the EU if you want to put up with extra health protocols that will be in place during and after travel.

 

The protocols are already in place and there are only 4 Airports in Canada accepting International flights. And the fines for breaking your Quarantine plan are punitive to say the least

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sorry for you losses - Diamond lover! I wasn´t even aware that Italy did not parttake in the EU´s openings. Must have slipped by me!

OH yes- very true- annus horribilis- as the Queen so aptly said in 1992 or was it 1991- anyway- very true for 2020!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

So sorry for you losses - Diamond lover! I wasn´t even aware that Italy did not parttake in the EU´s openings. Must have slipped by me!

OH yes- very true- annus horribilis- as the Queen so aptly said in 1992 or was it 1991- anyway- very true for 2020!

Thank you, and thank you all!  Man, I could use a cruise.  We all could!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

 

Sorry for the tardy reply TeeRick, I have stopped following this thread, I don't think I have anything further to add. That being said, to answer your question, as far as I know our border is still closed to international travel and Canadians have a travel advisory against international travel. So my guess is if Canadians do travel, when they return home they will be required to quarantine just as we do now should we leave the country. I'm guessing that also means if you do leave and need to come home in a hurry you would be on your own as far as paying for the repatriation.

Thank you for the explanation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2020 at 7:57 PM, rcixfan5 said:

 

 


I was on a cruise during the 2016 U.S. election - the captain made an announcement during his departure talk from port that day and then came to the theater shows telling all guests that he had instructed all crew to NOT discuss politics at all. He said he did it to make everyone’s vacation more enjoyable. He asked guests to try and consider that others may not want to hear about it and would like to “get away” from it for a while. In general people did stay quiet about it - both sides - and it did make things better.

I hope maybe once cruises start again that it isn’t all coronavirus and country bashing and politics. I would like to be able to relax and even reading the tension on these boards for the last few months has me concerned that it cannot stay unheated.

 

 

 

We had a similar cruise planned for this year, B2B, leaving Civitavacchia late October and arriving Port Everglades 20 November.  Cancelled!  Argh!  Was hoping to avoid all the advertising and campaigning BS.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...