Jump to content

EU Releases Guidelines for Return to Cruising during Covid


azbirdmom
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Porky55 said:

So ...... how do the EU Guidelines or even CDC apply if a vaccine becomes available??  Thoughts? 🤔

  Probably depends on how effective the vaccine is and what percentage of the population gets vaccinated.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, arabrab said:

I wonder if proof of vaccination might be required?

that might be a sticking point on medical information act aka HIPAA and a wind fall for document counterfeiters  

Edited by c-boy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, c-boy said:

that might be a sticking point on medical information act aka HIPAA and a wind fall for document counterfeiters  

not really because the certificate would only be produced by the medical professional if the patient requested the documentation.  

 

There is nothing in HIPPA prevents a cruise line requiring a valid proof of vaccination. patient doesn't want to release records, no cruise.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

that might be a sticking point on medical information act aka HIPAA and a wind fall for document counterfeiters  

 

The proof of a yellow fever vaccination has been required for years by some countries. No proof = no entry.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, npcl said:

not really because the certificate would only be produced by the medical professional if the patient requested the documentation.  

 

There is nothing in HIPPA prevents a cruise line requiring a valid proof of vaccination. patient doesn't want to release records, no cruise.

 

We have been on two Princess cruises where if you did not have proof of Yellow Fever shot you were not allowed to board....also one Carnival on a sail around South America.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

after 40+ cruises, looks like cruising is over for us.   Thank goodness we also enjoy other forms of vacations.

 

Indeed cruising deacon.

 

Will not spend thousands of after tax $ to show up at a departure point (for cruise, land tour etc) to get kicked to the curb and have to absorb losses based on frankly can be dubious testing methods, finicky staff etc and other changeable and can be random adjustments and standards.

 

The cruise budget is now spent on a fabulous new SUV, new house landscaping and other meaningful things that provide 365 day a year benefits.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really, why would anyone want a counterfeit vaccination document.  Why would anyone want to travel to a country where a certain disease is prevalent without taking the precaution of a vaccination.   

 

Cannot imagine anyone travelling anywhere without the basics...Hep A, B, C, tetanus, measles, smallpox, etc.

 

We have a vaccination document that we take with us when going to certain countries.  Simply a little yellow booklet that has a record of our vaccinations.  Some countries require it from time to time.  We take it with us when we go the travel medical clinic or to a physician/pharmacy for some time of vaccination.  DW has had hers for years since her first days as an RN.  It was a requirement.

 

I do not understand what the big fuss is about his.  It seems like basic common sense to easily protect yourself.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, iancal said:

Really, why would anyone want a counterfeit vaccination document.  Why would anyone want to travel to a country where a certain disease is prevalent without taking the precaution of a vaccination.   

 

Cannot imagine anyone travelling anywhere without the basics...Hep A, B, C, tetanus, measles, smallpox, etc.

 

We have a vaccination document that we take with us when going to certain countries.  Simply a little yellow booklet that has a record of our vaccinations.  Some countries require it from time to time.  We take it with us when we go the travel medical clinic or to a physician/pharmacy for some time of vaccination.  DW has had hers for years since her first days as an RN.  It was a requirement.

 

I do not understand what the big fuss is about his.  It seems like basic common sense to easily protect yourself.

The anti-vaxxer crowd is hard to understand but they are out there.

Then there are those who do not get a passport to save money.  I'm sure the counterfeit will be cheaper than the vaccines.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iancal said:

 

 

I do not understand what the big fuss is about his.  It seems like basic common sense to easily protect yourself.

Just like the common sense of wearing masks.. so I guess we see where common sense is in the USA is at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/2/2020 at 9:22 AM, Cruise Raider said:

Wow!  Some of this sounds like a total improvement to me.  However, I just don't know how the cruise lines will survive this, as they would have to limit capacity to about 25% - 50% to keep within the confines of all these restrictions.  I just don't see any sailings opening back up until there is a vaccine (if that ever happens) or this bug dies out on it's own.  

 

I scanned through the document but missed the 25%-50% restriction on capacity. Where does it have that section?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, iancal said:

Really, why would anyone want a counterfeit vaccination document.  Why would anyone want to travel to a country where a certain disease is prevalent without taking the precaution of a vaccination.   

 

 

 

From the  country's viewpoint, the vaccination is not to prevent you from catching the virus when you visit. It is to prevent you from bringing the virus into the country.

 

Same as when the yellow fever vaccine is required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, caribill said:

 

From the  country's viewpoint, the vaccination is not to prevent you from catching the virus when you visit. It is to prevent you from bringing the virus into the country.

 

Same as when the yellow fever vaccine is required.

Not exactly.  Here is what the WHO has to say on the matter:


Yellow fever vaccination is carried out for two different purposes:
1. To prevent the international spread of the disease by protecting countries from the risk of importing or spreading the yellow fever virus. These are requirements established by the country.

2. To protect individual travellers who may be exposed to yellow fever infection.
The risk of yellow fever transmission depends on the presence of the virus in the country in humans, mosquitoes or animals.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Namvvet68 said:

I scanned through the document but missed the 25%-50% restriction on capacity. Where does it have that section?


As you probably know, it doesn’t say this ... but it’s only reasonable to assume their capacity would need to be reduced in order to abide by the restrictions.  It probably will be a moot point, though.  The virus will most likely have to be under control, via treatment, a vaccine or herd immunity before ships will be able to set sail agin.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, figment_nh said:

Just like the common sense of wearing masks.. so I guess we see where common sense is in the USA is at the moment.

Looks like people are voting with their nose, mouths, and feet in London when it comes to mask and social distancing this weekend.

 

EcNKdplVAAAAuWq?format=jpg&name=small

Look in the lower right of the picture. I bet the guy with the cap and the girl in the yellow top engaged in some negative social distancing not to long after this photo was taken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Looks like people are voting with their nose, mouths, and feet in London when it comes to mask and social distancing this weekend.

 

EcNKdplVAAAAuWq?format=jpg&name=small

Look in the lower right of the picture. I bet the guy with the cap and the girl in the yellow top engaged in some negative social distancing not to long after this photo was taken.

Would not be surprised if the UK ends up in the same situation as the US in a couple of weeks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The anti-vaxxer crowd is hard to understand but they are out there.

Then there are those who do not get a passport to save money.  I'm sure the counterfeit will be cheaper than the vaccines.

 

Yes, both groups are very difficult to comprehend but I agree they are out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So my question for EU or US based cruising.  For someone who has asthma prior to Covid19;  they still have breathing problems; so why would they now be barred or told to get off ship for symptoms which they may seem similar to covid19?  Do you think a note from their doctor would clear up any issues?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

It is on the local news here in the United States.  So maybe it's fake news;  but this is what they are telling people here

No national spike, but local lock down in Leicester due to issues with the local clothing factories.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

npcl;  you are correct;  the UK has spiked up in cases over the weekend

the impact from opening thr pubs will not be seen for 3 to 4 weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Virgin Voyages. It's Go Time
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...